Cars for Sale on CL or Ebay - or BaT

Started by MiniDave, August 24, 2017, 02:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPlayle

I went in with a realistic expectation, so I am quite happy with the result.

For the "odd ball" cars like the Burton, it seems to be a matter of finding the right niche market of those that might actually want one.  BaT seems one of the more likely venues for finding such people.  Most of those commenting on it were already Citroen folks.  Apparently, fewer of the "esoteric" car folks noticed it.  As a result, it did not get as much activity to drive the price higher. 

On to seeing how the Mini Marcos does.

MiniDave

Don keeps goading me to buy an MG Midget - I need another car like a hole in the head - but I look at them from time to time just to see what the market is doing. Most of them are pretty tired and rough and I'm not in any mood to start yet another project. Under the theory of market research I've been watching them on BaT as well as the local Craigs and FB Market place.
On BaT they get the usual BaT-bump, cars that normally would sell for $4-5K seem to go for $7-8K, but THIS one defies all logic!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1979-mg-midget-18/

These two guys must have gotten into dick measuring contest!

I have been wanting to buy a pickup truck - to maybe replace my Blue MINI Clubman - as a truck would be far more useful to me now - but I simply don't want a big honking truck, and even the new Ranger and Frontier seem huge to me. What I'd really like is something like we used to be able to buy back in the late 70's /early 80's.  I even considered doing something like Bruce did with his Japanese Toyota import truck.

Two possibilities have appeared tho - this first one I've known about for a while and thought about doing - where you buy a Jetta, Passat or the like and put one of these $3K kits on it - but this is the first I've seen done on an A4 and I like it! There are still some issues with this car but I like the concept....

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2004-audi-a4-9/

Another option comes courtesy of Dan's recent adventures Importing his VW Van again. After poking around on that website I found this....

I had never heard of Saveiro - in earlier versions it has a Beetle aircooled motor driving the front wheels!  In this version it has what looks like a Passat/Fox style front drive setup. I really like this! It's the right size, modern enough, manual transmission is probably a good idea.....sort of a modern version of the Caddy I used to have.

https://www.vwbusesnbugs.com/inventory/1991-vw-saveiro/?v=1d20b5ff1ee9
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

That Midget auction price is CRAZY!

I watched a video a couple of years ago about a Jetta to pickup conversion. Looks like a fun task.  And you end up with something  unique and useful.

That Saveiro is interesting. Definitely looks like the Fox sedan/wagon we got here 30 years ago (which came from Brazil).  Those were good, simple cars - my oldest daughter's first car was a red Fox 2-door.   With a longitudinal engine and front wheel drive it basically was like a little Audi in layout.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

BruceK

Dave, if you don't want to get one like the one I got, there are conventional (non-cabover) Japanese pickups available for import.

Here's an example:  https://sp.beforward.jp/toyota/hilux/bh500076/id/2029229/

This Toyota pickup only has 40,000 km (just over 20,000 miles!), and is under $8K delivered to the US port.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

The only downside of the VW is no A/C.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on October 07, 2020, 05:59:08 PM
The only downside of the VW is no A/C.....

As you know from JDM Minis, nearly every vehicle sold in Japan is equipped with a/c. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Didn't the US versions of these have 2.0 or bigger motors? These two Nissans are 1.6...

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Probably. It seems Japan uses smaller engines, probably reflecting different uses in that country vs the US.   

My truck has a 1.8.  It is adequate but certainly no power monster.  And if you think back to how our vehicles were powered back in the 80s and 90s that was pretty much the norm. I added a tach last week and found that the engine is turning just under 3K at around 65mph, so there is some in reserve.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

cstudep

The advantage to the Toyota Hilux is those things are damn near indestructible. Basically the same thing as the 80's/early 90's models of Toyota trucks you still see occasionally on the road here that are rusted nearly to dust but still running strong. Guessing the Japanese versions of the Nissan are probably similar.

BruceK

Quote from: cstudep on October 07, 2020, 08:38:16 PM
The advantage to the Toyota Hilux is those things are damn near indestructible. Basically the same thing as the 80's/early 90's models of Toyota trucks you still see occasionally on the road here that are rusted nearly to dust but still running strong. Guessing the Japanese versions of the Nissan are probably similar.

Yeah, here in Texas where rust is not an issue, the old Toyota trucks just keep going forever.  Just like Top Gear noted.

This one has 180K miles and is $4K.  The outside is faded, but the interior looks great.

https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/round-rock-1989-toyota-pickup-5spd/7199922477.html

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Yep. Recently sold my 85 Toyota pickup with 230k and the buyer is so confident in it he is driving it to his brother in Guatemala.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

cstudep

180k....230k.....practically brand new for one of those trucks. I know a few around here with 400+ that run well enough I'd drive them just about anywhere. Not much to look at since a lot of the body work is gone thanks to rust but mechanically sound none the less.

MPlayle

Dave,

That 1991 VW Saveiro only has a 2000 pound towing capacity with trailer brakes, 1320 pounds without trailer brakes.  It would be at the limit for flat towing your green Mini behind it.

Otherwise, it is a neat little thing.  The one interior picture showing the dash does tend to indicate it may have a heater, but definitely no a/c.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I hope some of those sort of buyers are still around when my Mini Marcos finally gets listed.

:-\

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on October 19, 2020, 02:29:56 PM
OMG, a Subaru 360 sold on BaT for $50,000!!!!!!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-subaru-360-sedan-deluxe/

Crazy cakes! just this morning I saw a nice 1968 Subaru 360 in Japan (for sale to the world) and it was under $10K shipped to US (which is still crazy).

https://www.beforward.jp/subaru/subaru-360/bh263073/id/1841675/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Of the 318 or so cars in the que to be auctioned next week on BaT, 45 of them are currently Porsches!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

My guess at the next two most frequent listings are BMWs and Mercedes?

Ferraris are the fourth most likely?

BruceK

There's a line in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" where a character looks at a huge castle in the distance, and someone else replies "It's only a model". 

Well, this thing is only a full-scale non-running fiberglass static display model.  Of a very iconic car.  It just sold on BaT for $200,007 !!!   :-\

I'd love to own it!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1964-aston-martin-db5/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

And it came complete with all the working special effects.
I am sure the passing of Sir Sean Connery/James Bond 007 helped the sale.
My Dad took me to see the film Goldfinger when i was a kid maybe 10 years old or so in which the DB5 was featured, he bought me the Corgi Aston Martin DB5 model as well.
Fond memories.

tmsmini

Quote from: Jimini II on November 03, 2020, 08:12:03 PM
And it came complete with all the working special effects.
I am sure the passing of Sir Sean Connery/James Bond 007 helped the sale.
My Dad took me to see the film Goldfinger when i was a kid maybe 10 years old or so in which the DB5 was featured, he bought me the Corgi Aston Martin DB5 model as well.
Fond memories.

My dad took me to see it at Graumanns Chinese Theatre in Hollywood and the car was on display in front. Pretty amazing to a ten year old!

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S