Cars for Sale on CL or Ebay - or BaT

Started by MiniDave, August 24, 2017, 02:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knowell

Quote from: MPlayle on May 13, 2019, 07:57:25 PM
Even though that one is already titled in California, expect it to have to try to pass smog testing if/when running again.  Being a 1980, it is newer than the no-smog cutoff year of 1975.

As others have asked: What is your budget?  What are your skills?  What are you goals for getting a Mini?

Check with Michael Lewis at MiniGuy (www.miniguy.com) as he usually has a good line on what are available in California - project cars through nicely restored runners.  I know he has a decent yellow 1961 listed - it used to be one I owned.

Thanks to everyone for the input, lots of support on this forum. my budget would be 5-7k for a project car. I am mechanically inclined and have restored engines in the past. I have zero experience in body work and which is the most intimidating part of the mini (rusty nation). That is why as much as possible I would like to find one with a straight body and as rust free as possible ( i know this is rare). The appeal of the one on ebay i posted is the sale price is $2500 which i could probably get repaneled/repaired with the savings in my budget and restore the engine myself.  However, looks like the car has not been registered since 1987 and will probably have a lot of fees to register. And also as you mentioned will have future smog issues.

Thank you for the link the miniguy. I went through all the listing and narrowed some down and will probably go this route to find my project car.

MiniDave

Absolutely!

Unless it's an Inno, and you keep bringing it back better than it was.....  ;D
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Check this Innocenti out! Never knew they made a wagon! I Lol'd at his it will go 100 mph comment - with an 850? 100KM maybe   ;D

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/cto/d/danvers-1970-innocenti-mini-estate/6873516241.html?lang=en&cc=gb

Still, it's a beautiful little woody, and I love the interior!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

From someone that is anal about the car, where is the top for the air cleaner?  But it does look nice. For a time I wanted a woody.

MiniDave

Dan says it's an 850 that makes 47 hp at 6300 rpm.....I was surprised since the English 850 only makes 33hp.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

LarryLebel

The wood looks like normal ash to me.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Yup, an Innocenti Mini T with the T meaning Traveller.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Gorgeous Dino for sale on BaT............oh, and I got "comment of the day"   ;D

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-ferrari-dino-4/

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

My favorite Ferrari. I remember as a kid watching a tv series with i think Tony Curtis in one (can't remember the name of the show) and just thought that was the mutts nuts back then.
It is amazing the amount of respect and rise in prices the Dino has achieved over the last few years, for a while there they were like the red headed step child at a family reunion.

EDIT: The show was called the Persuaders and co starred Roger Moore in an Aston Martin DBS.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

MiniDave

Wow, BaT has been interesting lately.....currently there is a third in a row Dino GT for sale, but this one has raised some eyebrows.....it appears it might be a revin. Much like the ReVin Minis we all know and love (I have one) people are easily able to spot the differences. The sellers have stayed out of it completely, but the few comments they have made are of the "oh well, maybe this isn't the car for you" brand......

Over on F-Chat the debate is raging, with the supposed real expert chiming in as little as possible but confirming the engine and trans came from two other cars - certainly not this one.....concerns are the same as for the MIni, maybe it was revinned to get it around the 25 year rule, maybe it's stolen etc....but the $$$$ numbers are much higher of course. Even in spite of all the doubt, the car has been bid up to $106,000 - making me think there are a couple of shills involved.

As the Dino turns.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I'm going to have to check out the Dino auction.

There's a JDM Mini for sale on CL for $5900.  The car is in the US now, but the photo is from a Japanese car auction, and the clearcoat is blown.   Not to mention dual horns are hanging from the front license bracket.  It's a 1000cc but with a/c. 

Note the fake Mk I / Mk. II style door hinges - very much a Japanese retro Mini thing.

If the car is otherwise halfway decent, that may be a good price.

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/d/houston-1990-mini-classic/6919308008.html

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

By the width of those arches i would say the owner took his wide wheels off for the sale.
Has the MK I treatment done to it which is popular in Japan.
The wheels that it has on it are 35th Anniversary wheels.
Actually a decent price and with some work could be a nice Mini.

MiniDave

Well, the Dino went RNM as expected, with the controversies surrounding the vin and absolutely no comment from the sellers except "eh, it's ok",,,,it pretty much couldn't go any other way....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on July 12, 2019, 11:25:57 AM
Well, the Dino went RNM as expected, with the controversies surrounding the vin and absolutely no comment from the sellers except "eh, it's ok",,,,it pretty much couldn't go an other way....

And now all the Dino's dirty laundry has been broadcast to the entire INTERNET.   What a win! 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I don't think they care......I think they feel there's an ass for every seat, and they will find that ass.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Identity crisis car.   

It's a Morris.  It's a Minor.  It's an Innocenti.  It's a 1970?  It's all of them?  Listed for $14K.  Looks to be in good shape.

https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1970/morris/minor/101122051

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Looks awfully serious to only have a 998 in it.  Dual carbs not overload for that engine?
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Not too much if they're small enough carbs, look at 750 Honda bikes with 4 carbs....those are probably 1 1/4 carbs.

Wannabe racecar?

I'd like to trade him for those tail lights, those are Altissimo's, I have lenses but no housings, and they're just slightly different than Lucas - ask me how I know!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I've run twin hs2's on a couple different 998s and they do well.

gr8kornholio

This is a first for me, almost put it on the mini page but even though it has a 1275 a series and is awfully tiny, it's not a mini.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-austin-healey-arkley-ss-sprite-mk3-1275/
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

What a fairly unattractive looking little car.....  :(

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad