Cars for Sale on CL or Ebay - or BaT

Started by MiniDave, August 24, 2017, 02:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

I must be missing something. 

A couple of days ago a Karmann Ghia sold on BaT for .... $43K.    :-[     Mind you, this was said to be a nice Karmann Ghia - one in which $80K (!) was spent to restore it.   :-\

Hey I like KGs.  When I was in high school a friend of mine had one, and his brother had another.  I think they are very elegantly styled and I love the thin-pillar roof line on the hardtops.  I remember fondly a 800 mile trip with 4 other teenagers all of us stuffed into one Karman Ghia - the car fighting a losing battle in trying to maintain highway speed as we drove into strong head winds in rural Iowa.

But WTF?!   Forty-three fricken large on a later model KG?!  (and it's one with the big bumpers, too!)

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-volkswagen-karmann-ghia-convertible-4/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Yeah, no question some of the prices on some of the cars sold on BaT defy logic......

80 Large spent on restoration? How? Was there a 50 large rebate left in the glovebox?

If you read some of these descriptions, where someone has spent $10K tp $15K on a service that included an oil change, brake flush and a "tune up" it makes you wonder......
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

When it's a checkbook restore then anything is possible.

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Pending what it looks like under the bonnet and a body/rust inspection that seems to be a deal.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Speaking of BaT shit crazy there is a Caterham 7 up for auction on BaT currently with spread sheet receipts for $135k of which $75k was labour WTH !!!!. It has a few one off tweaks but considering it is a kit car that supposedly takes 40 to 60 hours to build that seems a tad high but judging by the cars stablemates it was a "money is no object" build that seems like the owner can well afford.

BruceK

Just spotted this Japanese-market Mini 998 with air conditioning and the biggest gas pedal I have ever seen in a Mini (and that includes the Inno ones!).

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/beautiful-1991-rover-mini/6765027363.html

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

Bruce,

I saw his ad for that one on Mini Mania and contacted him about it.  He has had it for a bit, but not yet titled/registered in in Texas under his name.  He has been driving it around on just the import paperwork.  That "red flagged" it for me.

gr8kornholio

That's a good point.  I understand busy, but if you are going to sell a car model with a history of shady import issues, you'd be best served to get it done.  Especially if you start losing potential buyers over it. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

He's tying to save some money by jumping title - he wants whoever buys it to take the import paperwork and title it directly. It's a bad idea and completely illegal. Mike was smart to pass on this one, at least till the title and reg are correct and clear.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Yeah, that's just lazy.  Granted it can be a bit of a hassle getting an appointment to have the VIN inspected by the police, but it's not that difficult to do.  And of course you have to pay sales tax and registration fees too.  But still...

I wonder what insurance he has on it (if any)?   I don't think any insurance company would be happy to know they are insuring an untitled, unregistered car.   Or maybe they'd be thrilled because they won't have to pay out on any claims on it (which, of course, is their very favorite situation).
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Getting caught up on my BaT-mobiles.....

This series 1.5 E-Type coupe caught my eye, especially the seller's address and screen name, "kmp26race"

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1968-jaguar-xke-coupe-5/

Anyone who's read my threads about dyno days and race shops should recognize the name and address of Kent Prather Racing.  77.gif

Turns out the car belonged to one of his customers.

He also had a Ginetta for sale,  that went RNM at $50k, I know the owner wanted $60K for it when I saw it about a year ago at Kent's shop

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Interesting Porsche on BaT right now......Barney-purple outside, black with factory Pink and purple inserts in the Recarros, pink door pulls and a few outher accents. Being the rare 1992 RS 3 bids have it at over $90K, but some wags think it suld sell for around $300K!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1994-porsche-911-rs/

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on December 20, 2018, 10:03:10 PM
Interesting Porsche on BaT right now......Barney-purple outside, black with factory Pink and purple inserts in the Recarros, pink door pulls and a few outher accents.

Will, those "fun" colors means it will win the Bad Taste award in my book.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Did you look at it?

From the outside it looks OK, but those seat inserts and other pink accents..... 8.gif

Of course, it could have been worse, it could have had the eye watering Porsche factory "pasha" interior

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Yes, I looked before commenting.  I'd actually prefer the Pasha over the pink and purple accents.  But plain grey or black would beat both of them.   But that's why there are choices - everyone has their own idea of what they like.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

There's a later Canadian-market Mini on eBay right now.  It's a 1975 and fully into the must-be-federalized to be sold there. 

Not that anyone would seek one of these out, but they are very unique and pretty rare since most of them evolved into beater status and long ago rusted away due to winter road salt.

This one is preserved and, scrolling through the photos, you can see what made these Minis so different from any other market in which the Mini was sold.

I used to own a '77 Canadian Mini, and the first thing I did was throw the huge and heavy bumpers right into the dumpster.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-Austin-Mini-1000/323686521974?hash=item4b5d385c76:g:vjAAAOSwcyVcXc6h:rk:2:pf:1&vxp=mtr

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

skmini

Looks a lot like mine.  Same colour scheme.  On my '79 the grill has cut-outs for the signal lights.  I took the CDN bumpers off not just because they were ugly, but the rear one was so heavy it was bending the corners of the boot lid.  That's right, the rear bumper is bolted to the boot lid, weighs quite a bit more than the boot lid, and adds a fair bit of stress to the hinges and cables.  I also can't imagine that a large metal bar with one end inches from the fuel tank is a good bumper.

BruceK

The best thing about the Canadian Minis ss the reinforced doors. 

The doors have a side impact beam inside them, and importantly, a special device that mechanically hooks the bottom of the door to the doorsill below it so as to spread a side impact load across all of the side of the bodyshell - not just the door. 

Once BL engineered that useful solution, it should have been adopted on all Minis from 1974 onward. But they were cheap bastards and only had it on the Canadian Mini to meet the Canadian rules. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Mpi's have a bar for side impact in the doors too.  As if mk3+ doors weren't heavy enough.

BruceK

Quote from: 94touring on February 13, 2019, 12:57:17 PM
Mpi's have a bar for side impact in the doors too.  As if mk3+ doors weren't heavy enough.

I did not know that.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Quote from: BruceK on February 13, 2019, 12:59:00 PM
Quote from: 94touring on February 13, 2019, 12:57:17 PM

I did not know that.

BruceK

That's a very crusty Moke.   I've never seen a top like that-- the way it curls in toward the pontoon.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S