Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

Holy smoke!  Crazy Moke!   That Moke on BaT sold for $41K  !!    :-\
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

gr8kornholio

What am I missing on the Moke thing?  Are they that rare? They look fun and all but how come they are mint OG cooper S money?
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Jimini II

They did not make a lot of UK Mokes, in fact total Moke production of UK, Australian, Portuguese and Italian Mokes was around 28,000 i had heard and a lot of those rotted away. So just like everything else rarity usually (for the most part) means people will pay a premium for the ability to have one and when you get into a bidding war of sorts anything can happen.

That being said the $41k Moke of Marks was a well documented and near perfect restoration with 29 panels being replaced including a full floor and both pontoons correctly spot welded in place and imo would be impossible to duplicate for that price when using a shop to do all the work.
So UK Moke's with welded in patch panels can bring $30k plus, the Australian and Portuguese Mokes do not sell as high as the UK ones.

gr8kornholio

That is what I was wondering.  Thanks for the insight.

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

Ya'll might see this on Mini Mania ..  Possibly BAT soon enough. 
Just posting here if any one is interested and wants to deal directly. -

(not my car,  Helping a local guy post and sell)  He has too many cars - quick sell preferred.

1972  Mini Pickup=  RHD = Australian Built
850 CC Engine = 3 Synchro Magic wand trans.

Fully restored body and Chassis + Very well trimmed interior (custom work) but very ' proper '

part of a Full car collection he has + needs to make some space so is letting this this pickup go.

available to discuss further = entertain offers.

Asking 19,500$

MiniDave

The Authi Mini on BaT only hit $9K so it did not make reserve....I don't know if it was the 850 motor that held it back or if the owners had $40K Moke visions in their head.....

That is a very tidy little Pup. I just don't fit in one.....for some reason I thought the Aussi Pups had vent windows?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

I won't be showing this to the wife.  She'd probably cry and try to find a way to return her new camaro.  Or try and put us further in car debt.  Sweet little truck though.

jedduh01

Quote from: MiniDave on May 23, 2018, 06:40:51 AM
The Authi Mini on BaT only hit $9K so it did not make reserve....I don't know if it was the 850 motor that held it back or if the owners had $40K Moke visions in their head.....

That is a very tidy little Pup. I just don't fit in one.....for some reason I thought the Aussi Pups had vent windows?

The Aus pup is determined by the 2 simple center switches  Headlights and Wipers  are = UP for on.. (and of different variety)   also there is a ID Plate Under the passenger seat = all matching details that were only given + installed in Aus built cars.

I wish i knew more = or had a better reference for Aus production trucks ..   I think the way they kept this truck very Mk 1 = with External Hinges ,  Normal sliding glass windows + press steel front meant in 72 it was a bastard child of production (stuck in the old)
by 72 it should have ahd roll up internal hinges for normal productions.

Perhaps i should reach out to Grant in Aus.,.. he knows Australian stuff!

This is why BAT scarses Me / US == we dont know alot about this pup! 

Agreed on the seating = there is no room for a 'reclined seat.  very upright and ON point driving position for sure!

MPlayle

Even UK Pickups were external hinges and slider windows until their end in about 1982.

The vented, roll up windows on Jim's Pup are Aussie Saloon doors fitted to a UK Pup.  The "older" non-flap latched external hinge Aussie doors are a direct match for the UK external hinge door openings.

BruceK

Very nice truck!

Toggle switches in a Mini moved Up to turn on stuff?  That is very weird and totally non-British.  Sounds like an American (or Canadian) fitted the switches during a refurb.   Is there documentation that supports the Oz pickups were done that way?   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

jedduh01

Learning more Daily!

Switches were yes reversed in their holes = Able to flip + they still work. as intended

Digging into the Vin s   XAV1 --  69-74 Pickups  --   Per the internet ...  Fits a 72 Pickup as paperwork matches

Vin Ending in A =   Longbridge... Production

This is a English Pickup.  Nevermind the thoughts of it being a Australian Pickup..
Its pretty , Its flashy = its fun!  and more and more i want to keep it!

Bahowe1

What?!  What are you, a used car lot?? 
Ha!  Congratulations!  I guess all you need is a wagon (mini- that is) and you will have one of each!  Hilarious! 

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Talk about New Old Stock!

1990 ERA Mini with delivery miles only, still in the plastic wrappers.....what do you suppose this will sell for? Goes up for auction tomorrow.

https://angliacarauctions.co.uk/classic/saturday-16th-june-2018/1990-era-mini-turbo-63-miles-from-new/

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Quote from: MiniDave on June 15, 2018, 07:25:34 AM
Talk about New Old Stock!

1990 ERA Mini with delivery miles only, still in the plastic wrappers.....what do you suppose this will sell for? Goes up for auction tomorrow.

https://angliacarauctions.co.uk/classic/saturday-16th-june-2018/1990-era-mini-turbo-63-miles-from-new/

SOLD for £29,680 GBP including premium or $38,880 USD. Money in the bank.

gr8kornholio

Quote from: MiniDave on June 19, 2018, 08:50:53 AM
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/cto/d/1992-classic-mini-cooper/6618560411.html

Jap Spec 998 stick with A/C, claims no rust at all............$7900

I believe any time an ad for a mini is posted it automatically adds the no rust comment.  It's almost cliche.  After assisting in the stripping of my so called rust free Austrailian (cause it's a dry climate right?) mini and finding rust spots and then when Dan finished it and found more along with previous patches for rust, I call BS on anyone claiming that, unless you have photographic restoration proof.  Part of me believes these cars rusted as they left the assembly line. 

They should be like Gremlins (the little aliens, not the car)  NEVER, EVER, Get them wet.   ;D

BruceK

Part of me believes these cars rusted as they left the assembly line. 

What!  Have you never seen the factory video?  Of course they were rustproofed - just watch at 4:20 

(I have a theory that the liquid they dipped the cars in was pure saltwater.   ;D  )

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

I like how they torque the head, all at once! 

BruceK

Quote from: 94touring on June 20, 2018, 01:11:53 PM
I like how they torque the head, all at once!

Just like the tighten all wheel nuts at the same time. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Not sure what the wife was searching for when she found this but.....

It's on a VW chassis, but you could probably do similar with mini subframes. 

https://reno.craigslist.org/cto/d/car-airplane/6649729830.html

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Good lord......$9500 for a vehicle that needs........................everything!

Funny, the ad says it's a 3 cylinder but I count 4 spark plugs.  ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad