Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on August 24, 2017, 02:55:12 PM
In KC - a rusty 998 for $7800.

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/d/1981-austin-mini-rhd/6278095745.html

At least the seller showed some photos of the rust - even if he is trying to pooh-pooh how bad it really is.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Did they come with black bumpers?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Yes. Many Mini models had them. Primarily the stripper models like the City.   Also black door handles and boot handle.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Dmulder

My door handles and boot handles are black. Does this indicate a model year?
"In like a lamb, Out like a lion."

BruceK

Not that I know of.   Blacked out trim was in vogue as an automotive styling trend in the late 70s and early 80s to sort of indicate a sporty car.  And in that time frame Austin/Rover adopted for the Mini -  I believe it was a cost saving measure.   But later on it was used on some special edition Minis in the late 80s like the tennis-themed Mini Advantage. And others too.   So, no way at all to tell what year. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Funny how car "fashion" comes back around with the  blacking out craze for cars that started in the mid 2000's 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

Yeah. I remember it starting with the 1979 Mazda 626.   (but that may not have been the first one)  Black window trim, black trim around the lights, black mirrors, etc.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

MiniDave

I think it started with Porsche - 911's had blacked out trim around the windows and black door handles in 1973........

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Merlin

I didnt know black handles existed. Now if feel dumb for PC my chrome ones. I guess I need to go on the hunt.
Engineering the Impossible

BruceK

MiniSpares still sells black bumpers and gray ones (yeah, that was a thing) too.   I think they still sell black door handles too.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Also for sale on BaT, this 6 speed Porsche 968.....the interesting thing for me on this car is the orange wrap in lieu of a fresh paint job. what do you guys think about wrapping a car rather than paint - the wrap job cost $4200!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-porsche-968-8/

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

I'm going to see this one Sat morning.....Don's been having so much fun with his little Midget that I'm tempted to get a tiny roadster too...but I like the looks and accessibility of the engine better on the Spitty....and this one has factory overdrive and a removable hardtop! One of the things driving this decision is the quality of ride in Don's Midget, it's as he calls it - like driving a Lincoln next to his Pup or even modern MINI. Very easy to drive, feels like power steering, rides smoothly and of course - convertible!

I can't decide tho on one of the later more available cars or the earlier ones without the huge bumpers.......

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1979-triumph-spitfire-4/

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Nice Spitfire!  Looks to be very complete and in great shape.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

No, Don and I are going tomorrow morning - it was raining all day today but is supposed to be dry tomorrow. Pics and driving impressions when I get home.......

The owner says it has a factory hardtop, and I'm intrigued by the opening rear vent windows. Also, I had not seen a Spitfire with overdrive - I knew they had it in the GT6 and other TR's, but I did not know they even offered it in the Spitty.....should be fun to see how it works compared to Don's Midget, since they have the same engine, similar weight and so on.......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

So I went to see this Spitty this morning with Don, we were both impressed with the overall condition of the car, it looks like a true 40K mile original car.

That said, it would still need a ton of work to make me happy - it has oil leaks (I know, what British car doesn't....) and the carb was overhauled but the choke is clearly not set right, it took a lot to get it started and once it did it had to warm up thoroughly before it would take any throttle.....once there it ran smoothly and pulled - well, weakly. It has good compression so I think either the timing was way off or something else is going on with it. The driving of the car was fine - it rode, steered, shifted and braked just fine, and it was relatively rattle free. The overdrive worked flawlessly in both 3rd and 4th as it should and all in all I think it would be  good car to buy for the right price. Don says it runs pretty much like his Midget did before he put the two barrel Weber on it, but it seemed really slow to me.....so maybe that would also need to be done.

BUT......

With the hard top on it was almost impossible for me to get in and out of the car. Once in the ergonomics were pretty good for me but getting in and out......man. I think I need to look at bigger cars, like an MGB or a TR-6. However, getting in and out of my E-Type is a challenge too, so it may not help. Maybe I'm just too old and fat for these tiny little cars any more......it's even harder to get in and out of Don's Midget but once in there seems to be plenty of room to stretch out.

I'll stay with my Mini, I definitely fit in it.   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Another Spitty came up on my radar, I will try and go look at it early next week just for fun......it's a whole lot less expensive that the white one I didn't buy......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Not meaning to dampen your enthusiasm (pun realized as the pictures were taken in the rain) ...

If you had trouble getting in and out of the white Spitfire, what makes you think this dark one will be any different for getting in and out?

MiniDave

We're going to try it with the top off, plus this one is 1/2 the asking price of the other one.....if nothing else maybe I can play with it for a bit and sell it in the spring and make a little money.......interesting that they both have the factory hardtop, but I don't think this one has the o'drive.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Quote from: MPlayle on November 19, 2017, 03:26:42 PM
Not meaning to dampen your enthusiasm (pun realized as the pictures were taken in the rain) ...

If you had trouble getting in and out of the white Spitfire, what makes you think this dark one will be any different for getting in and out?

Cause black is a lot more slimming than white  ;D
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Ha!

Of course, it won't make me any slimmer!  ::) ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I spotted this on the local Craigslist.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/1990-austin-mini/6401898762.html

Based upon the many misspellings I'm guessing a young punk, rather than an old fart, is the seller

Quote1990 Austin Mini - $13900

57 k mls
999 ccm  [it's 1cc better than a 998!!  ;D]
2 door
4 gears standard
hard to find condition
new brakes (disc / drum) incl. Lines
flewless suspension parts
like new Falken tires with alumnium rims
nice older paintjob
no rust at all
adjustable SPAX shocks
new carpet
very nice, not worn out interior
new bumpers front + back
many more new parts w invoices
this car is not a project - this car is ready to drive

just imported from Germany; it comes with current german tech inspection papers
as well as clean TX title

never driven in winter (see picture seasonal license plates month 03-11)

more pictures on demand, dont hestitate - I have nothing to hide
please email for 1st contact, will respond asap and can filter scammers - thanks !!!

Dont waste your or my time with lowball offers or joyride wishes !

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S