Cars for Sale on CL or Ebay - or BaT

Started by MiniDave, August 24, 2017, 02:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willie_B

Just what you want is an air brake on a moke....

BruceK

Dave, since you just sold your E-type I'm sure you are going through Jaguar withdrawal.

Have I got a solution for you!!

Want low running costs?  You need Jaguar style combined with impeccable dependability!

Look no further!!!

A solution is right here!

I know you don't drink, but if you make an exception this will go a lot more smoothly...

Ta Da!!!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-mitsuoka-viewt/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

They've been making those for years now!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Just what I need, a Nissan Micra that looks kinda, maybe, a tiny bit if you squint just so Jaguar
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MPlayle on February 26, 2019, 03:52:53 PM
I would rather go for the 1957 MG Magnette:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1957-mg-magnette-zb-2/

Me too!   My parents had a '57 MG Magnette from the time I was 0 - 10 years old, so I have a great fondness for that model.  Started my lifelong affection for British cars.   

When I was about 8 years old, my family relocated via a crosscountry road trip from Massachusetts to Missouri - all 5 of us in that MG, plus a cat.   The fuel pump went out somewhere in Ohio and it took several days for new one to be found (not too many 'foreign car' shops around those parts apparently).   I can still remember how the leather smelled.  And the secret lever used to open the trunk.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

How about a Mini Van with a Clubman front? 

It's said to be from Oz (and those doors sure are), but I'm not sure if they made Vans with a flat front in the later years, or if this is owner-made.

It has the cool Rostyle wheels.  And a 'roo bar too!  It takes a brave man to drive a Mini Van with no side mirror on the passenger side.

Anyway, at just over $3K the price seems reasonable.

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/cto/d/cape-coral-1972-mini-van/6839235413.html

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Those are the later Oz doors. The dished handles are the tell. They were around about the time the clubman nose was so this may be legit.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MPlayle

It is legit.  The last version of the Aussie Van was the square nose just like this.

Usually if has larger rear windows covering the whole "insert" region versus the small "portal" window seen on this one.

BruceK

Quote from: MPlayle on March 12, 2019, 08:51:59 PM
It is legit.  The last version of the Aussie Van was the square nose just like this.

Usually if has larger rear windows covering the whole "insert" region versus the small "portal" window seen on this one.

I didn't know about the square front on the Vans - thanks.   Regarding the single piece of glass rear side windows installed into the sheet metal on the Oz/NZ vans (such as below), I understood they were not factory. I read somewhere that the Vans were sold as commercial vehicles (at a lower tax) and the windows were aftermarket installed post-sale to turn the Vans into estates.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

Quote from: BruceK on March 13, 2019, 06:04:21 AM
... Vans were sold as commercial vehicles (at a lower tax) and the windows were aftermarket installed post-sale to turn the Vans into estates.

I know this was done in the UK as well.

I do not know if all of the side glass in Aussie Vans were after-market installations or some were factory.  I know I have seen many pictures of the Aussie Vans (both round-nose and square-nose) with the fuller sized windows in place.

I know I prefer the fuller length windows over the small portal window.

BruceK

Well, with that Oz van I posted, it should be pretty easy to fit larger rear side windows to it.  Just cut a bigger window opening in the sheetmetal, use some Mini windshield rubber, (or some universal glass rubber) and get a 2 pieces of flat automotive glass cut.   Bingo! And you have yourself a Mini wagon (sort of).  Or, go for a full Van to woody conversion and end up looking like this one that was on BaT recently.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

Quote from: BruceK on March 13, 2019, 08:13:34 AM
Well, with that Oz van I posted, it should be pretty easy to fit larger rear side windows to it.  Just cut a bigger window opening in the sheetmetal, use some Mini windshield rubber, (or some universal glass rubber) and get a 2 pieces of flat automotive glass cut.   Bingo! And you have yourself a Mini wagon (sort of).  Or, go for a full Van to woody conversion and end up looking like this one that was on BaT recently.

Or buy the fiberglass or weld in panels and make it back into a van, actually you could just weld in some circular panels as they did not cut the inset lines. When selling an Estate attracts a bigger audience and is much easier to move on though.

Even the saloons used Clubman fronts  from the early 70's the round nose was no longer sold.

It's a shame those $1500 doors have the burst proof locks as they are not a direct swap for sliders, if they were and you had a van or pick up project this van would be worth buying to steal the doors from especially at the low asking price.

BruceK

Things are definitely different in the UK.  Faced with a constant supply of brand new Minis coming out of one end of Longbridge, the British public junked nearly all of the millions of Mk. I cars on their roads.  Now when a Mk. I Mini is found in the UK, people expect crazy money for them, no matter the condition.

Case in point, this plain Jane Mini 850 that just might have some rust issues.   ::)    It has a Buy it Now price of US$7,500.   Yeah, right.   

I don't think it will pass a MOT without front indicators...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Mini-Classic-Mini/401742843904?hash=item5d89bd5000:g:QlMAAOSwnXhcpTDW

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Reminds me of the Mopar craze here in the states a decade ago.  Saw stripped, rusted out shells with no drive train.  Literally just a vin that said it came from the factory with a Hemi going for 20-30K.  Now at the time hole cars were fetching multi million dollars so guess if you had the time and the want to track down every single piece it may have been worth it. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Jimini II

Quote from: BruceK on April 03, 2019, 10:02:01 PM
Things are definitely different in the UK.  Faced with a constant supply of brand new Minis coming out of one end of Longbridge, the British public junked nearly all of the millions of Mk. I cars on their roads.  Now when a Mk. I Mini is found in the UK, people expect crazy money for them, no matter the condition.

Case in point, this plain Jane Mini 850 that just might have some rust issues.   ::)    It has a Buy it Now price of US$7,500.   Yeah, right.   

I don't think it will pass a MOT without front indicators...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Mini-Classic-Mini/401742843904?hash=item5d89bd5000:g:QlMAAOSwnXhcpTDW

So that is what happened to the car on the Titanic LOL.
A very late Mk I one of the last i would presume but since the UK goes by date first registered who knows it could have sat for a year in the showroom or back lot looking at the condition of it.
I noticed he was asking USD and the seller is Mountain Minis. He has shipped a few Minis over here and they all looked tarted up with fresh paint to me. One that he sent was a shorty and it was held at customs in Ca and sent back, i heard the buyer got his money back with some help from Bill Cox at Monte Carlo Minis.

BruceK

It is pretty clear that there are many more Mk. I & Mk. II Minis in the US than remain in the UK, so the idea of idea of trying to sell a completely rusted hulk to someone here the US is crazy.   If anything, it would make more sense going the other way.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

joakwin

D16z6 Automatic, 4 wheel disc brakes, deseamed shell

Jimini II

Quote from: BruceK on April 04, 2019, 07:07:29 PM
It is pretty clear that there are many more Mk. I & Mk. II Minis in the US than remain in the UK, so the idea of idea of trying to sell a completely rusted hulk to someone here the US is crazy.   If anything, it would make more sense going the other way.

I agree but maybe he has already tried it in the UK and had no luck selling it although i look at ebay a lot over there and have never seen this one for sale.

MiniDave

This tasty little morsel popped up on BaT today.....it belongs to Russ Foust - the fellow with the wild clubby with the Acura V-6 in it - which he is in the process of changing to a turbo and expects 400 hp - but I digress......

Several things are appealing about this car to me - it belonged to a local who is very meticulous about his cars. The engine has already been done. It has the Datsun 5 speed conversion already done. It's basically a Bugeye with box fenders.

Several things are not appealing - it's a chore to get in and out of these, but once in they're fairly comfortable. It has a 1098 motor instead of a 1275, but of course I can fix that.

I may go see it just to make sure it is what I think it is.....could be fun to have a little top down roadster to buzz around town in.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1964-austin-healey-sprite-mk-ii/

it's cute as a bug too!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I saw that pop up this morning and had similar thoughts.   77.gif

MiniDave

That little Sprite of Russ's sold for $8100!

Today there's another Prather Racing car on BaT, a 72 MGB that the owner spent $44K on in body, paint, interior and mechanical work - $22k went to Prather racing for engine, trans rebuilds and the addition of the supercharger.

Wonder what this one will bring? Yet another car that for all intents and purposes is brand new - and improved.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-mg-mgb-18/

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Are you capable of doing your own work? Do you already have the skills, a shop, the tools etc? Cause if not you need to buy a car that's already "done" and registered in Ca. or buy a pre-1975 car.

Give us some more info about what you want to do, budget etc....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Even though that one is already titled in California, expect it to have to try to pass smog testing if/when running again.  Being a 1980, it is newer than the no-smog cutoff year of 1975.

As others have asked: What is your budget?  What are your skills?  What are you goals for getting a Mini?

Check with Michael Lewis at MiniGuy (www.miniguy.com) as he usually has a good line on what are available in California - project cars through nicely restored runners.  I know he has a decent yellow 1961 listed - it used to be one I owned.