Seat, new foam

Started by Willie_B, August 22, 2017, 05:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willie_B

Figured it was time to tackle this project. I had the seats recovered several years ago but keep the original foam then. Now it's time for new foam. Came in from minispares a few weeks ago. I am only doing the drivers seat now. I will take a good look at the passenger seat later. First time so took photos so I know what goes where. The old foam was flat and shredding. The seat diaphram was held together with wire-ties. One of the springs for the diaphram was broken. Then 4 holes on each side of the frame where the springs attach are worn out 3/16". So need to weld the holes back up and put it back together.

MiniDave

Wish MiniSpares had the diaphragms when I redid my seat, but they didn't know when they'd get them in so I just went downtown to the seat foam place and bought what I needed, then used the electric carving knife to make it the right shape. I think it turned out great, but now I sit way higher than before.

Do your seats have the hard plastic pieces that fit into the foam? Those were a PITA......
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

No hard plastic pieces.
I expect it to be real fun putting the material back on the new foam. I saw where the last folks put plastic over the seat back top & sides before sliding the material on. Real thin stuff almost like the bags from the drycleaners. That should help.

MiniDave

That's how the upholstery guy does it......plastic bag from the cleaners....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I have a spare seat diaphragm and spring set from a past project if you need one.  It is of the same type in your pictures.

Willie_B

Quote from: MPlayle on August 22, 2017, 09:35:45 PM
I have a spare seat diaphragm and spring set from a past project if you need one.  It is of the same type in your pictures.

Thanks but I got a new one with the foam.

MiniDave

My seat covers had some flat hard plastic pieces that fit thru a slot in the foam, that gives the seat it's shape without gluing the fabric to the foam....in this pic they are attached just above and just below the "stripey" part of the fabric and pulls the shape tight. I had to feed them thru the slot then flip them out flat, total PITA but make the seats look like they were done by a pro.....I was pretty happy with the way it turned out....you can see the difference on the other seat that I haven't done, the foam has shrunk or compressed so the fabric is loose.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

That's done. Not as bad as I thought. Did take more time than planned though. Required some foam trimming for the covers to fit and it's still tight. I may need to raise my steering wheel as I do sit higher now like Dave mentioned. Hope it feels better when I drive.

gasmini

How are the seat covers attached to the frame work? I couldn't tell by the pictures.
Years ago my stepdad did upholstery work and I remember he used hog rings to keep the seat covers in place.

Willie_B

Hog rings it is. The seat foam is just held in place by the cover, tighten the cover down and hog rings around whatever you canfit them over.

MiniDave

How does it sit now?

With new seat foam you'll be ready to try another 5000 miler!   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

The seat is more comfy now but I think I am sitting 2" higher. If it does not settle some I may take it apart and cut an inch off the bottom.
I did take the steering wheel drop bracket off to raise the wheel all the way back up too.

MiniDave

Same issue I have with mine, so far it hasn't squished down a bit. I also removed my drop bracket......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Yep, going to need to remove some foam. Smacked my head getting in and I am looking out the top of the windshield.
Also got a different center for the steering wheel. Just seemed to fit.

MiniDave

;D ;D ;D ;D

Where did you find that?

I looked at various ways to lower my seat but haven't come up with anything yet, but since I'm not as tall as you I just move the seat all the way back.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Took 3/4" off the bottom of the seat foam. Raining now so no test drive.

Minty

any updates after you've done the test drive?

Willie_B

Trimming it made the difference. I don't feel like any bump in the road now I will not hit the roof. 4.gif