1982 Mini 1000 HL refurbish 2020

Started by ADRay, April 18, 2020, 08:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

On the backside under the tappet cover? That's the mechanical fuel pump.  Has a lever arm that goes into the block and rides up and down on a special lobe on the camshaft. 

Lots of Minis have an electric fuel pump instead.  Mechanical pumps seem to be mostly found on 998 engines.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Oh, sure....my eyes playing tricks on me....

TDA got it.....

Bruce, do you really think I don't know what a mechanical fuel pump looks like?   ;D

I've been messing with those (not necessarily on a Mini tho) since I was 12 years old and the one on our Mercury died!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

ADRay

Quote from: TDA on March 14, 2021, 01:47:03 PM
What's the round thing at the block in front of the breather cannister?

Waterpump inlet?

yes, if we are talking about the circle shaped piece to the right of the canister.

Thanks for the punch list Dave. I have already acquired new frame and motor mounts, rubber cones, and some other bits. Still need to get the arm rebuild kits. Fortunately, I did the front brake disc conversion 6 years ago, and everything on that front just needs a little tidying. Shocks are 2 years old and only saw one short season. Planning on reinstalling the 998.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on March 14, 2021, 03:33:49 PM

Bruce, do you really think I don't know what a mechanical fuel pump looks like?   ;D

I've been messing with those (not necessarily on a Mini tho) since I was 12 years old and the one on our Mercury died!

No.  But I really think it wasn't you who was the person asking the question!    ;D

How did it get around to you?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

ADRay

update - currently putting the front subframe back together

1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

MiniDave

Looks terrific - what did you use to punch out the old bearings in the upper arms?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

ADRay

good question. The machine shop that I'd brought the radius arms to be pressed and honed suggested that next time I don't punch them out myself like last time. So, it was left to the professionals.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

MiniDave

I took a large bolt about 8" long and ground one side of the head round to match the curve of the bearing. There is a step inside the arm that you have to go around to get to the back side of the bearing - you can't hit it with a regular punch in my experience because of that step. Also, if you do use a regular punch or drift, you will probably dig a gouge into the side of the arm which can cause the bearing to bind on the shaft after you put the new ones in - otherwise you'll have to take a dremel or burr or something to clean up the inside of the arm first.

Machine shop probably had an inside bearing removal tool. I don't have one of those, but my tool works just fine and doesn't damage the arm.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

ADRay

the latest - starting to piece together the front subframe. Need a few more parts to arrive before I can bolt it back up to the body.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

ADRay

just a quick update, slow and steady progress. I've finally cleaned all of the heavy grease off of the engine bay, and continuing to clean the exterior of the engine. nearly ready to temporarily refit the front subframe.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

MiniDave

What color will it be, looks like originally it was OE white?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

ADRay

Quote from: MiniDave on June 12, 2021, 01:06:50 PMWhat color will it be, looks like originally it was OE white?

Going to keep it black for now. It was originally silver (the interior still is, so I'm going to have the engine bay done in silver (so I can see around the engine)

As much as I'd like to do a complete restoration, it's not in the cards (yet).
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

ADRay

UPDATE: for the last year or so, it's been up on stands after reassembling the subframes.

after going back and forth about whether I would take on the body work (and the whole "everything else in life to pay attention to") the car has pretty much not moved forward until this past week. Decided to outsource the body work, only because some of the rot fount its way behind the rear wheels on the outside body panels. Better to leave it to the pros. Currently it's off at the body shop, expecting it back in the next couple of weeks.

Currently cleaning up the light fixtures and flares ahead of re-installation. The engine head needs a little attention in the way of valve seals.

Then I can start buttoning it back up 🤞🤞🤞
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

MiniDave

It's always fun when you start to make forward progress!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Post up some new pics if you're able.

ADRay

this is the latest one from 8/24 at the shop
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

ADRay

a couple more from the last few months
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

94touring

ADRay

home again
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

MiniDave

Wow! I like the black with the silver boot and engine compartments.....looks really cool!   :great:

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

ADRay

Thanks! I would have liked to repaint the whole thing it's original silver, but the black overall is still in great shape. I kept the engine bay silver to hopefully help with visibility when everything is reinstalled.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998