Brake pipes

Started by tsumini, August 13, 2017, 11:19:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsumini

Ordered and received new brake pipes from MM for the 60 mini (original brake config).  The new pipes had double flare (right photo) and originals had bubble flare (left photo). I called MM and they said they woukld work on rewtained fittings such as brake cylinders etc. Was skeptical as it is counterintuitive to repalce amale flare with a female flare and expect no leaks.
Anyone have experience with this?

MiniDave

Seems wrong to me too, can you post a good pic of where the pipe attaches? I suppose the edge of the flare will contact the inner part of the hole and seal around the edge, but without seeing the hole it goes into that's just a guess.....it is a fairly soft and malleable metal in the pipes.

I haven't seen bubble flares that I can recall.......you sure it's a flare and not a ferrule on the end of the pipe?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Toss em on and see if they leak.  Or reflare them.  I buy rolls of pipe and bags of fittings and simply make my own.

tsumini

So I tossed em on. Initially they leaked but I tightened them as much as I dared then 1/4 turn more to pretty tight. Didn't leak with rube goldberg laek check.  I looped one pipe using the Tee on the front bulkhead. old ones didn't require as tight so may just re-use old pipes and clean them up. They look good no rust.

94touring

You're in business then!