Tow Bar help!

Started by MiniDave, July 15, 2017, 02:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Something about weight and stability or maybe easier to steer?

jedduh01

On To something here: Thanks for the insight.

Friend and I flat tow to events.  Upon the last Flat tow.. above 55- 60 .. he would get the shimmy  that really was the mini forcing the VW Golf around.

I on the other hand = haven't had any issue =  60-70mph(yes fast) flattowing both my Mini's

We adjusted his car SOME on the road by tightening the ball hitch some + adding some' weight" to the front floors of the mini= While it helped by weighting the front tyres more , still experienced push around  over 65-70...

Got home = haven't really thought about it more. Owner is now consdering a truck + trailer for future moves. (well understood)

MiniDave

Alignment settings? As you can see from my experience it does make a difference....when you say a push, what do you mean exactly?

Also, are the tires on the toad balanced?

What do you tow with?

I use my '09 Clubman S and experienced no issues on a 1600 or so mile round trip to Texas earlier this year and I also towed at 65-70 mph.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

When I flt towed 2200 miles round trip to Texas I hit 80+ without any issues. Cruised at 75.

jedduh01

Quote from: MiniDave on August 04, 2017, 11:16:40 AM
Alignment settings? As you can see from my experience it does make a difference....when you say a push, what do you mean exactly?

Also, are the tires on the toad balanced?

What do you tow with?

I use my '09 Clubman S and experienced no issues on a 1600 or so mile round trip to Texas earlier this year and I also towed at 65-70 mph.....

Cole was towing with VW GOlf.

I Tow with Volvo 850 Wagon = More wheelbase + more Weight for sure.

if i remember correctly the  Event PRIOR to this we both also towed, and Cole and same VW had no issue = IE : Back to alignment .. tugging it around behind. 

Long story short= if it wont follow behind = Check alignments!

MiniDave

Well, that's definitely the first step!

I know quite a few people who tow their classics with regular MINIs, so I don't think the Golf is the problem.......
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad