New old-style Smiths electronic speedometer for Minis

Started by BruceK, July 15, 2017, 02:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willie_B

You know, my Sigma bicycle speedometer I use was around $15. Just saying.

MPlayle

Prior to the disassembly, I was using my 7 year old Garmin Nuvi GPS.  The only drawback was the sunlight coverage would often make it hard to read while driving.

I figure it would be nice to have everything working.  As Bruce comments - "new" Moke, new speedometer.

MiniDave

I use my Garmin cause the speedo in the Racing Green is off a bit (reads 50 at 60 mph) and it's difficult to see anyway....I like having the Garmin right up in the left corner of the windshield, easy to see and keeps me apprised of what streets I'm coming to - you get to rely on it tho, which could be both good and bad.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

In the other classic Minis I have had since buying the GPS, there has always been enough shading in the cabin for the screen to be readable wherever I put it.  Not so in the Moke.  The glare/brightness renders the screen barely readable in any location - worse if the top is down.

Minty

were you able to receive the part you ordered? how's it going?

tmsmini

There are a few of us that have ordered them. I have one installed with 80 miles on it.

It appears there are multiple sensors available for the speedos which require different wiring connections. There will be some wires that are not used depending on your installation.
I used bullet connectors with sleeves to install mine. When the next one goes in, I will take more pictures. The pink wire on the speedo wiring harness is more light tan than pink.

The mounting ring has a top and bottom to it to fit in the pod, but it is not marked. I assumed it was symmetrical. My first speedo came with no "J-nuts" for the mounting bracket. My original speedos had captive nuts, so I had to find some 10-32 j nuts. If you have a later speedo you can take the j-nuts from the old and place them on the new.

There appear to be some different models than what you might see on either Mini Spares or Digital Speedos.

I would test fit the electronic sensor on the speedo drive to make sure it fits. The first one I got required some attention with a points file to fit.
Some people don't like the color of the lights. The odo and trip meters are yellow. The instrument lights are a cold color compared to the tungsten lights in the other gauges.

Terry

MPlayle

Quote from: Minty on November 26, 2017, 08:30:03 PM
were you able to receive the part you ordered? how's it going?

I got the speedometer in just fine.  I've been working out the wiring for it at the same time as crossing over to a complete new harness for the Moke.  I posted a progress update on that thread.

tmsmini

An update on this...
The electronic speedo is in our tin wagon the car with the SC EFI system. It was time for a tune up which really means just valve lash, check plugs and change oil.
I took it for a drive to warm up the oil and the speedo needle started bouncing. Not sure what it means as I need to finish the oil change. This one has the sensor from Mini Spares, but I do not think it is the sensor. The needle bounced at idle in the driveway. Just hit 100 miles on the speedo.

I will check the wires and reset the gauge, but obviously not happy. I hate doing jobs multiple times...
Terry

tmsmini

False alarm, installer error
There are about 4 wires that are not used depending on the sensor. I placed those in heat shrink tubing, but it was really too large for the small wires. It fell off and one of them may have been grounding out. Re-insulated the unused wires and appears to be working.
Terry