New old-style Smiths electronic speedometer for Minis

Started by BruceK, July 15, 2017, 02:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

I was intrigued by the upgraded speedometer fitted to the David Browne bespoke Minis, so I did a little more research.   It is indeed made by Smiths and it's just come to market recently.

This new speedometer is no longer cable-driven, but is electronic and it is fully adjustable to account for different final drives, wheel and tire sizes.  Change your wheels?  Just adjust the speedo to keep it accurate.  The warning/indicator lights are all LED, and the odometer is OLED with an integral trip odometer too.  The fuel gauge is electronic too, but accepts traditional sending info. 

Yup, it costs a bit more than a standard Mini speedo, but it's not going to read the wrong speed or have the odometer lock up at xxx99.9 miles like the mechanical ones typically do.  The UK price is £349, so about $450 (that price likely includes VAT, so export price would be less).   The crazy price at MiniMania for the speedo is $875.

Edit: I've just found that MiniSpares offer it for £300 without VAT, so that's about $390.

You can fit an electronic sender to the Mini gearbox where the cable usually goes, or go fully GPS and leave the old cable in place and ignore it.

The new speedometers come in both 90 mph and 130 mph Cooper S versions, in black faces and magnolia faces. 

https://www.digital-speedos.co.uk/gauges-c4/car-gauges-c28/speedometers-c36/smiths-classic-mini-130-mph-black-digital-speedometer-p328

Here's what they say:

"Manufactured for us by SMITHS in the UK we are pleased to introduce the Classic mini speedometer. Its designed as a direct replacement for the original single gauge and features a fuel gauge and warning lights. 90 MPH + KPH equivalent on inner dial. Easy calibration no need to worry about changing wheel or tyre size. Two line digital display featuring total mileage and trip mileage (resettable). LED warning Lights. Fuel Gauge operates with original fuel sender. Standard Mini Chrome Bezel 130mm Diameter Digital Gauge. Billet Aluminium rear casing. Standard fitting points. Direct 12 volt fitting no need for voltage regulator. Options available at additional charge. Digital Speed sensor replaces completely replaces the cable and attaches to the rear of engine. GPS Speed sensor, no need to remove old cable."
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

I had looked into those awhile back.  Considering my speedo has frozen on 90k, might be something I end up buying.

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on July 15, 2017, 02:51:01 PM
Only for center speedo cars, right?
Yeah. Unless you do what David Browne did and mount the center speedo in front of the driver.   

I don't think the style of Mini instruments that started with the Clubman were even made by Smiths.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

tmsmini

The 90 MPH versions are a little hard to come by it seems.
I started the process in January and just received it. It came too late to put into the car at this time. I ended up buying mine from Nisonger who ordered it from Caerbont.

Some people have had some issues.
Terry

MiniDave

Quote from: BruceK on July 15, 2017, 03:07:01 PM
Quote from: MiniDave on July 15, 2017, 02:51:01 PM
Only for center speedo cars, right?
Yeah. Unless you do what David Browne did and mount the center speedo in front of the driver.   

I don't the style of Mini instruments that started with the Clubman were even made by Smiths.

I like that DB version.....

My triple clocks are Japanese made......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

AcesLow

I wanted to get one for my R1 powered mini.  Keep the inside and out as stock as possible. Need to do some research as The R1 clocks need to be attached for the engine to start(as far as I  have read into it)

MiniDave

Speaking of new speedos, what do you all think of this one with the tach in the bottom?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Looks too out-of-place to me.

It has the retro-modern hot-rod look and bulges out from the nacelle too much.  Not a close enough match to the other gauges in the nacelle.

BruceK

Quote from: MPlayle on September 20, 2017, 05:39:10 PM
Looks too out-of-place to me.

It has the retro-modern hot-rod look and bulges out from the nacelle too much.  Not a close enough match to the other gauges in the nacelle.

Yes I agree with Michael.  It's suffers for being a little similar but ultimately too different from the real thing.  The wide and awkward bezel looks so wrong too.   

I think the tach nestled in there is a good idea -- but it would really take having someone who is skilled in design to give it an appropriate 1950s/60s look.     This one looks like it was made by a mechanic, not a designer.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I think the tach would be really hard to read, but I like the deco style of it......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

On my Mini Traveller I had the normal central speedometer with the two small flanking gauges.   But I installed a small 52mm Lucas tach in place of the temperature gauge and then used a combination temperature/oil pressure gauge on the other side of the speedo.   

A bigger tach would've been easier to read but I was looking to keep things semi-original looking. 

I don't think there's anything to be gained in the photo above by having a 52mm gas gauge and a very small tach.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Lone Star Mini

This looks nice, but I don't understand why it's only center mount..  would that then be for the older models and not usable in the newer?
Lone Star Mini
1982 Morris Mini 1000HL (heck of a lot of work ahead of me)
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

MiniDave

The double and triple clock setups in the newer cars use printed circuit boards and they are a different (smaller) size than the big center mount speedos.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

The old speedo in the tin wagon died a couple weekends ago.
It was time to install the new electronic version.
The electronic sensor for the mechanical cable replacement seems to be a weak link. The adapter did not fit "nicely" and required some filing with a points file.

tmsmini

I ordered the second one from Digital Speedos on Monday and it arrived today.
Different brand sensor than the Mini Spares version. This one, a "Koso" brand did not require any adjustment to fit the drive.
Terry

BruceK

It looks very nice.  The circle around the 50 mark is just a refection, right?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

Bruce, If you look closely, it is the reflection of the camera lens.  You can see the rest of the camera reflected around it as well.

tmsmini

Yes that is an iphone reflection.

Total cost with shipping: £345.07/$455.29

MPlayle

I was just out checking the old speedometer from the Moke and I may want to consider one of these as a replacement.  It was a tight fit getting the new cable into the back of the old speedometer and then very stiff to turn with the drill on reverse.  It acted very sluggish - like gummed up inside.  Also, it appeared to be leaking some sort of oily liquid from sitting face down on the table for a while.

I like that they have a calibration mode, so you don't have to guess at the speedometer drive values to determine which tpm value speedometer calibration is required.

tmsmini: Do you know what resistance range you fuel tank sender is and whether the gauge seems reasonably accurate?  Does it use the old style voltage stabilizer on the back of the original speedometer?

My Moke's tank sender seems to be the 0 ohms=full, 270(ish) ohms=empty.  If that is what the fuel gauge of these new speedometers uses, then it would be great.

Edit:
Did you have to order the sender as a separate part?  If so, which one?

tmsmini

We paid $180 for a "restoration" on the old speedo, when it died a second time I was willing to chance one of these.

The fuel gauge does seem to be at least as accurate as before. It uses the range from stabilized gauges. I replaced the sender when I upgraded the non-stablized gauge. There is no voltage stabilizer external to the system.

Digital Speedos has a bundle and that is what the price I listed is for.

Smiths Classic Mini 90 MPH Black Digital Speedometer (SMH9003) £291.63   1   £291.63
KOSO Classic Mini Gearbox Adapter 3 Pin Connector (Wide Plug) £33.29   1   £33.29
· Mini Gearbox Year: Pre 1980
· Item to be delivered with Classic Mini 90 MPH Black Digital Speedometer (SMH9003)    
https://www.digital-speedos.co.uk/speed-sensors-c9/koso-classic-mini-gearbox-adapter-3-pin-connector-wide-plug-p416/s670
Plus the FedEx shipping.

We only have about 40 miles on the first one, but I was confident enough to order the second.

And the price on Digital Speedo includes VAT when you first add the items. After it figures out you are in the US, the price drops.

MPlayle

I think I am highly likely to be ordering one in the next couple of days.

MPlayle

Ordered one today.  Site showed them as "In Stock" so, maybe it will arrive by the end of next week?

BruceK

Quote from: MPlayle on November 11, 2017, 10:23:55 AM
Ordered one today.  Site showed them as "In Stock" so, maybe it will arrive by the end of next week?

Cool.   A new speedo starting at 0.0 for a brand new Moke.     4.gif
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

My speedo doesn't work and I have a new motor to install.  Hmm