Help with rear wheels

Started by Dmulder, July 01, 2017, 05:03:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dmulder

Can anybody tell me why my rear wheels make contact with the rear subframe when I jack the car up?  How do I stop this from happening
"In like a lamb, Out like a lion."

Willie_B

What tire size are you running?

Dmulder

145SR12. As I started looking at it it seems that my shocks just go to full droop extension when the car is jacked up. This is somewhat normal correct?

MPlayle

The shocks going to full droop is normal.  The tire touching the swing arm mount is not normal.

What brand of tire?

It is likely the tire is actually a "nominal" 145/80/R12 and that brand may be tending to run large in the sidewall - coming out more like a 145/85/R12.  (Looking up online the translation of a "145/SR12" typically defaults to 145/80/R12.)

The 12 inch '145' size tire that is supposed to be on Minis is actually a 145/70/R12.

Some 145/80/R12 tires run small and will fit fine, but if they run normal-to-large they will hit like yours are.

Dmulder

Thanks.  When I have the extra cash and am not fixing other things I will look at getting the right size tires.  I really wanted to go back to the 10 inch wheels but have to have extra cash laying around.  With a family that includes me, the misses, 3 kids, and 2 dogs on a pastor's salary that becomes difficult. 4.gif

Dmulder

No. I put new ones in last summer