What's in a Name?

Started by MiniDave, June 26, 2017, 09:40:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

So we're going to pick up the 2017 Mini-Poopers this afternoon, and we need some inspiration on naming them.

Several people have suggested "Cooper", but I know people whose dogs and/or kids are named Cooper, so I'd put that down the list a bit. Someone else suggested Izzy and Cooper, or even Alec and Issy.

Looking for inspiration.....so give us your best ideas!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Coffee drinker:   Latte and Mocha or espresso.

Beer drinker:  Pilsner and Stout  or Black and Tan.

Alcohol drinker:  Scotch and Kahlua

MINI(bmw) colors:  Black (astro, cosmos)  Tan( coffee, solid gold)

Real mini colors:  Not black, but dark(midnight, alaskan, connaught, trafalgar)   Tan (la guna, el paso, titian, arianca)

I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

I like Astro! Reminds me of The Thin Man movies - that dog wasn't a poodle and it's name was Asta, but that doesn't matter. Also, Astro was the name of the dog in the Jetsons.......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Seeing the picture, Max and Butterscotch came to mind.  Although, remembering they are both male the name Butterscotch does not seem to fit gender-wise for the lighter colored one.

MiniDave

Rose thought it would be fun to name them Marco and ......yes, I know...............Polo.

But while I like Marco, I thought Draco for the other one.....

She likes Marko and Dino

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Austin and Morris?

Oh, I know..............................Rover!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Willie_B

If one is Dino then the other should be Sammy.

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on June 26, 2017, 10:03:30 AM
. Also, Astro was the name of the dog in the Jetsons.......

Actually, the Jetson's dog Astro's real name was Tralfaz, (but I don't recommend it).

As for "Cooper", my dog as already taken that one! 

What about Buzz?  I know you've used that for a car, but it's a great name.  You may have to check with Justin for permission though.  ;D

Sticking with car-theme names, how about Champ, Harley, Mac, Scout, Rocky, Tucker, Quest, Jazz, Rogue, Spark, Sonic, Vega, Bentley? 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Almost too many choices.......we thought maybe once we had them home a name might suggest itself based on their personality or behavior.....so far we're still undecided.

Two hour drive home and not a peep out of either of them, when we got here and let them wander around the back yard one took a huge dump, now that we're back in the house the apricot boy is sleeping and the black one is chasing a ball around the room! Crazy fun....  ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

My wife just looked at the photos of both of them right above and exclaimed "Ahhhhhhhh" and then "oooooooooh". 

Not very creative naming suggestions.  71.gif
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Any names yet?    Dr. Seuss would suggest Thing 1 and Thing 2. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

No, but we're working on it......

We call this All Star Poodle Federation Wrestling......Flyweight division!   ;D

Our two girls did this when they were young too.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Dmulder

Piston and Axel. 
All my kids (human) are named after cars - Ford, Cooper, and Tucker.  We just got a second dog and the new name chosen for her was Porsche.  A desire to stick with automotive related names.
"In like a lamb, Out like a lion."

MiniDave

Well, it's been quite an emotional ride so far, yesterday after three days of not eating I took them to the vet and they put a tube down their throats and force fed them, and gave them some more tummy medication..... they still weren't their normal puppy selves, but at least we knew they had food in their bellies. Apparently the stress of the changes, being removed from their parents and siblings and new surroundings upsets their digestive systems and they just don't feel good, and don't want anything to do with food.

This morning I have two different dogs, all I hear is the thunder of tiny paws as they chase each other around the room and the grrrs and yips as they wrestle. They also both cleaned up their bowls this morning and went back for more, so I think we have finally turned the corner.

Neo and Remo, the new adventure begins!   4.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Good to hear they are turning the corner and getting better from the stress of the changes.  Also, nice to see they now have names.

Shower them with love and attention to keep them "distracted" from the changes and they will hopefully keep getting settled in and be bundles of joy for you.

MiniDave

What a day we had, we got up early this morning and had breakfast, then out to the backyard where they spent the next few hours chasing each other around the yard wrestling each other. We came back into the house and they carried on - they also found a few toys and spent quite a bit of time playing....finally they collapsed for a nap.  Neo is about 1/2 lb heavier than Remo at this point, but Remo gave as good as he got.

The rest of the day was more of the same....eating, pooping, playing, wresting.......now they've finally run out of steam and are sleeping on the sofa.

I feel like we've really gotten thru the worst and from here on we should have normal, growing puppies.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Your puppies are each as big as my 13 year old dog!  (But then she is a "toy" breed - Affenpinscher.)

BruceK

Glad to hear everything is getting to normal.    Must really be nice having dogs back in the house.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Yep, this morning I have "normal" dogs again,  they got up, we went out where each successfully did the P&P, then came in and ate a good sized helping of kibble with a little canned food to whet the appetite...which turned out not to be necessary.

They're eating well enough that hiding a tiny pill in the food bowl works perfectly - it disappears with the chow. That in itself is a great leap forward as Remo did NOT like having his mouth forced open to try and shoot the pill down his throat far enough that he would swallow it.... now he doesn't even know it's in the food.

Today I gave them each a chew toy as they are teething and they are a big hit, should keep them busy and off each other for a while at least. It was pretty funny when Neo grabbed his and went running around the yard, it's long enough that he tripped over it a couple times.   ;D

So far they're very comfortable riding in the car - I hope that continues as it was a problem with Noel, she was NOT happy on a ride...she never got sick but boy did she sing the blues!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

My experience is that as long a dog gets lots of rides as a puppy, they will do great as an adult dog.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Another good day with the pups, eating solid food now and as much of it as we'll give them.  ;D

Neo has the potty thing figured out already, Remo is still getting the hang of it, but at least he's using the pad by the door and not just squatting wherever he is.....so........progress.

They wrestle almost constantly and chase each other all over the back yard. It's pretty funny watching one set up the ambush, then run pall mall and take down the other one by the leg or ear.

So its a lot of work, but we're having fun!  ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Congrats on the pups. They look cute!

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MiniDave

9 months old now and still growing, Neo is just shy of 13 lbs and Remo 11, looks like they will stay about 2 lbs apart. Remo is definitely the instigator, but Neo now realizes his size and power advantage and can easily chase Remo down and flatten him at will. The good news is they seem to be buddies and not enemies.

We're still training to the leash, and since I've been unable to take on any walking duties due to my knee and illness, Rose has had to shoulder the burden. They're too much for her together so she walks them one at a time and they're starting to settle down now.

I take one of them anytime I go to the auto parts store or Home Depot and they both do very well, staying right beside me and they seem to enjoy the car rides too.

This Xmas we'll be heading to North Carolina again for my grandson's wedding so I hope the travel will still be OK, I'd hate to board them even tho a big family event might be a lot of work with them along, we'll see how the summer goes.

Neo is a solid 3 lbs and several inches bigger than we expected, but I'm fine with his size, Remo is noticeably smaller when you hold him or pick him up, but our last two girls were the same way, about 2 lbs apart.

The adventure continues - it's odd that we've only had them 7 months yet can't seem to remember a time when they weren't part of our family. I'm happy that I took some vids of them when they were tiny to compare with them now.....it makes for fun watching.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad