Driver's license

Started by MiniDave, June 21, 2017, 02:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Today I went down to DMV to renew my driver's license, the last time was 10 years ago! Summer is always the worst time to do this as all the 16 year olds are in getting their first license and the process for them is considerably more involved, as they have to take both the written and driving test....but for us "established" drivers it's only a matter of taking the eye test and paying the $20. It took about an hour before they called my number....

Last time I barely passed the eye test, I see distance with one eye and read or see up close with my other eye, last time I was failing miserably but the examiner was my age and told me to squint really hard and passed me.

This year I told the examiner the same thing about how I see and she switched over to my "good" eye and I read them easily. Done!

$20 later I'm out the door with my temp lic and I'm good for another 5 years......so look out, I'm legal to terrorize the roads again!   ;D
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

We don't even have an eye test. Walk in, get your photo taken, walk out.

MiniDave

I think when people get to be my *ahem* advanced age, we should probably take at least a short driving test once in a while, maybe every 5 years or so just so they can see if we should be behind the wheel of a 3,000lb death mobile!  ::)  ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Glad to know they were flexible on how you took your eye test, because when I had cataract surgery a couple of years ago I had my vision corrected at the same time and I have one eye  corrected for distance and the other eye corrected for close up.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

gr8kornholio

What car do you own that's 3000lbs?  ;D
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

My 2009 Clubman is right at 3K with me in it and a full tank of gas, the Audi is more like 4K, same conditions......the Jag is a comparable lightweight at 2500lbs!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Quote from: BruceK on June 21, 2017, 05:27:36 PM
Glad to know they were flexible on how you took your eye test, because when I had cataract surgery a couple of years ago I had my vision corrected at the same time and I have one eye  corrected for distance and the other eye corrected for close up.

I was dreading it since I had such a hard time with it 10 years ago - I figured I might fail it this time but I sailed thru.....once she heard me say that about my vision. must not be that uncommon as she knew exactly how to respond.

Last time I took the test they had you identify road signs, not by shape but by what was on them....this year all I had to do was read a series of numbers.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Merlin

Quote from: MiniDave on June 21, 2017, 03:57:24 PM
I think when people get to be my *ahem* advanced age, we should probably take at least a short driving test once in a while, maybe every 5 years or so just so they can see if we should be behind the wheel of a 3,000lb death mobile!  ::)  ;D

And miss out on all of those sweet tax dollars for keeping you on the road? I don't think so.
Engineering the Impossible

BruceK

Quote from: Merlin on June 22, 2017, 06:49:26 AM

And miss out on all of those sweet tax dollars for keeping you on the road? I don't think so.

You are so cynical.

Next thing, you'll be telling us that speeding tickets aren't really given to make the roads safer, but instead the real reason they exist is to generate revenue. 

;D
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

gr8kornholio

Quote from: BruceK on June 22, 2017, 08:02:48 AM
Quote from: Merlin on June 22, 2017, 06:49:26 AM

You are so cynical.

Next thing, you'll be telling us that speeding tickets aren't really given to make the roads safer, but instead the real reason they exist is to generate revenue. 

;D

And this is where sarcasm is missed in text  ::)
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Merlin

I refer to speeding tickets as "road use fees".
Engineering the Impossible

MiniDave

Personally signed fine driving awards...... ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

In Georgia the state give veterans free licenses. The last one I got was almost 20 years ago. It is good till I am 65.