Mini part/accessories you like and recommend

Started by BruceK, June 19, 2017, 12:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

I thought I'd start a thread where we can tell others about random Mini parts/accessories that we really like and would recommend to others. (as well as where to get them)

I'll start with this:

Back on the Spring Drive in the Texas Hill Country, my driver's side seat belt (original to my car) jammed, and it would not retract. Since I was driving solo, the quick fix was to swap out the passenger belt.  But it was clear that belt was not working too good either. 

So, I installed a pair of new retractable belts from MiniSpares and they are first quality.  I really like them.  And I was able to get them in red to match the ones I replaced.  They also come in beige, blue and grey.     

http://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/Interior/Seats_Belts/Seat_Belts/MSA1111RED.aspx?170502&ReturnUrl=/search/classic/seat belts.aspx

Yeah, I know it's not exactly a sexy Mini accessory, but it's a pretty important one to have in good shape.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

One that comes to mind is if running an aftermarket filter is to put on a k&n stub stack.

BruceK

Another part I highly recommend is this Phillips 1157 red LED to use for taillights.  Yeah, I know there are literally thousands of crappy automotive LED bulbs out there promising to be good, but this one is different:  It's made by a reputable company that is an OEM supplier of lighting to the automotive industry, and this LED light is fully DOT certified. Plus it is BRIGHT!

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-1157-Intense-Vision-light/dp/B00P2D415K?th=1

I installed a pair in my Mini a couple of years ago because I wanted brighter brake and running lights for safety purposes - I would prefer to be better seen on the road for safety purposes.   Yes, these LEDs look weird and are a lot pricier than the normal 1157 glass light bulbs, but they kick ass in how quickly they illuminate as brake lights, and how bright they are.   Just ask someone who has followed my Mini. 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Yep, those lights work really well!

I haven't done anything about Don's lights after you twigged to the problem on our Texas run....I think he's been so focused on his MG that he's forgotten about them.

MiniSpares is out of those seat belts right now (all colors) or I would order some as mine are acting up too, mine come out OK but don't want to retract unless I "help" them.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Good lord.....$25 for a single light bulb!   :-\

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I suppose tools count.  Dave had his guy make a bushing for my swivel arm reamer. Other handy thing to have is the heavy duty filet strip tool. 

MiniDave

Cone compressor tool......I made my own but I've used it a few times now.......handy little bugger.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

OK, one the other direction.....everybody raves about K&N air filters, and they are terrific but according to Vizard the factory air filters work just as well, and here's the big difference - they are QUIET!

K&N's are NOT!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Quote from: MiniDave on June 19, 2017, 03:05:29 PM
OK, one the other direction.....everybody raves about K&N air filters, and they are terrific but according to Vizard the factory air filters work just as well, and here's the big difference - they are QUIET!

K&N's are NOT!

I have a K&N in the stock plastic housing. Best of both.

MiniDave

Yep, that's what I did with Buzz, but I could not find any difference between that and the paper element on the butt dyno.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Flyinace2000

Quote from: BruceK on June 19, 2017, 12:52:05 PM
Another part I highly recommend is this Phillips 1157 red LED to use for taillights.  Yeah, I know there are literally thousands of crappy automotive LED bulbs out there promising to be good, but this one is different:  It's made by a reputable company that is an OEM supplier of lighting to the automotive industry, and this LED light is fully DOT certified. Plus it is BRIGHT!

I installed a pair in my Mini a couple of years ago because I wanted brighter brake and running lights for safety purposes - I would prefer to be better seen on the road for safety purposes.   Yes, these LEDs look weird and are a lot pricier than the normal 1157 glass light bulbs, but they kick ass in how quickly they illuminate as brake lights, and how bright they are.   Just ask someone who has followed my Mini. 

Do these work as a running light and brake light?  My red lights come one when the headlight master is on and then get brighter (second element) when the brake pedal is depressed.

BruceK

Quote from: Flyinace2000 on June 19, 2017, 04:31:16 PM
Quote from: BruceK on June 19, 2017, 12:52:05 PM

Do these work as a running light and brake light?  My red lights come one when the headlight master is on and then get brighter (second element) when the brake pedal is depressed.

Yes.  These dual brightness Phillips red LEDs are a direct replacement for the traditional dual filament 1157 incandescent bulbs used as combination taillights/brake lights on our Minis.
With LED bulbs the recommendation is to use the same color LED as the lens color - a white LED through a red lens will look orange.  Or is it pink?  Anyway, not right.   So use red. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: Willie_B on June 19, 2017, 03:48:27 PM

I have a K&N in the stock plastic housing. Best of both.

That's what I have on my Mini too. Seems like a good combination.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

LilDrunkenSmurf

Quote from: MiniDave on June 19, 2017, 03:05:29 PM

K&N's are NOT!

I bought it specifically for the sound. I expected no gains. Also makes the engine bay look a little nicer IMO.

MiniDave

A lot depends on whether you have a bulkhead plate or not, that tends to knock the sound level down considerably, without it they can be really obnoxiously loud, especially when you're on the gas hard.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

I have seen the miniblanket on ebay and wondered well it works.

MiniDave

I really like that, but $70? Plus shipping.....

I just use the old fender covers I've had for decades, they're really soft after all these years.......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

rmonagel

I also have a Dr-Doolin blanket. Got mine on ebay.

BruceK

Randy was asking about the 3rd brake light I fitted to my Mini, so I thought I'd post about it in this thread.

I guess third brakelights aren't exactly a sexy Mini accessory, but in my opinion, they are pretty darn useful for dealing with modern traffic - when I stop I want the cars behind me to notice me.   And the normal Mini brake lights are down low -  just 20" inches or so above the pavement.

Sure, third brakelights were never fitted as original by the factory, but I found a real high quality one made by Hella (German OEM manufacturer to Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, VW, etc.) and it is really bright.  In fact, I've had many people - including other Mini drivers - make a point to tell me how bright it is.

It's not inexpensive, but I say it's worth it.  And it looks like it was fitted by the factory - not a PepBoys cheapie.

The only place you can buy one is through the website of automotive lighting engineer, Daniel Stern:

https://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html

This Hella 3rd brakelight, combined with the brighter Phillips LED 1157 bulbs I mentioned earlier in this thread really help light up the back of my car in traffic.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Richard1

I'll add few more, but also want to mention, as a filter profesional, that K&N filters let way too much dirt into the engine. I have one in my Corvair since there is nothing else available, but I'm working to improve it.

As for the topic, here are a few things:
LED lighting from superbrightleds.com

Tail lignts

Here is my third brake light (LED from superbright)

LED interior lights (small dots over the window) (superbright)

Fatmat sound and resonation control on floors and roof

Springs in place of rubber cones (I used the mid-range stiffness and love it)

Plastic coated stainless cable for load door

Noise absorption: Dynamat Hoodliner (also note oil temperature sensor in lower corner of transmission)

Fabricated steel arches and backup lights (actually driving lights)

LilDrunkenSmurf

What are some of the things people do to older mini's that are musts? I've already rebuilt/replaced all the rubber in the rear subframe, but I'm worried about doing all the work to the front one without pulling the motor. I also wonder if I should look into replacing my motor mounts or not. The car is very... vibratey, both at idle, and driving. Of note, it's an SPi, so I'm not sure I can really tune it or anything.

Richard1

Vibration noises are a pretty good sign of motor mount problems. They are supposed to absorb those. And although in theory you can change them without pulling the engine, at least with an automatic, I think you need to be trained by Houdini.
But pulling an SPI is only about an hour with two people.

MiniDave

Also check to see if your engine steady is putting stress on the engine - IOW if it's pushing or pulling on it....and look to see if someone put poly bushings in instead of rubber - that will make them noisy too. Lastly, check to see if the exhaust is hitting somewhere......

But I've never been in a Mini that didn't buzz and vibrate at some point, whether idling or somewhere in the rev range......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Lone Star Mini

You guys are awesome..  what about little tips and tricks, is there a thread for that?  I saw a cool little tip on Bruce's Mini that I believe he mentioned he learned from Dan.  A small rubber 'spacer' on his rear pop out windows help hold them open.  I thought that was clever.
Lone Star Mini
1982 Morris Mini 1000HL (heck of a lot of work ahead of me)
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)