Author Topic: Mini part/accessories you like and recommend  (Read 3273 times)

Offline richard1

Re: Mini part/accessories you like and recommend
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2017, 07:28:37 PM »
I'll add few more, but also want to mention, as a filter profesional, that K&N filters let way too much dirt into the engine. I have one in my Corvair since there is nothing else available, but I'm working to improve it.

As for the topic, here are a few things:
LED lighting from superbrightleds.com

Tail lignts

Here is my third brake light (LED from superbright)

LED interior lights (small dots over the window) (superbright)

Fatmat sound and resonation control on floors and roof

Springs in place of rubber cones (I used the mid-range stiffness and love it)

Plastic coated stainless cable for load door

Noise absorption: Dynamat Hoodliner (also note oil temperature sensor in lower corner of transmission)

Fabricated steel arches and backup lights (actually driving lights)

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2017, 08:29:47 PM »
What are some of the things people do to older mini's that are musts? I've already rebuilt/replaced all the rubber in the rear subframe, but I'm worried about doing all the work to the front one without pulling the motor. I also wonder if I should look into replacing my motor mounts or not. The car is very... vibratey, both at idle, and driving. Of note, it's an SPi, so I'm not sure I can really tune it or anything.

Offline richard1

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2017, 07:10:53 AM »
Vibration noises are a pretty good sign of motor mount problems. They are supposed to absorb those. And although in theory you can change them without pulling the engine, at least with an automatic, I think you need to be trained by Houdini.
But pulling an SPI is only about an hour with two people.

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2017, 08:57:14 AM »
Also check to see if your engine steady is putting stress on the engine - IOW if it's pushing or pulling on it....and look to see if someone put poly bushings in instead of rubber - that will make them noisy too. Lastly, check to see if the exhaust is hitting somewhere......

But I've never been in a Mini that didn't buzz and vibrate at some point, whether idling or somewhere in the rev range......
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
1969 Jaguar XK-E FHC
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7 TT

Offline Lone Star Mini

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2017, 08:23:36 PM »
You guys are awesome..  what about little tips and tricks, is there a thread for that?  I saw a cool little tip on Bruce's Mini that I believe he mentioned he learned from Dan.  A small rubber 'spacer' on his rear pop out windows help hold them open.  I thought that was clever.
Lone Star Mini
1982 Morris Mini 1000HL (heck of a lot of work ahead of me)
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper

Offline BruceK

« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2017, 08:04:02 AM »
You guys are awesome..  what about little tips and tricks, is there a thread for that?  I saw a cool little tip on Bruce's Mini that I believe he mentioned he learned from Dan.  A small rubber 'spacer' on his rear pop out windows help hold them open.  I thought that was clever.

I actually learned the "the short length of fuel hose to hold open the back windows" trick from Dave - works great.   Much better than the older trick of trying to wedge a tennis ball in there.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
2007 Triumph Bonneville