Author Topic: Mini part/accessories you like and recommend  (Read 2088 times)

Offline BruceK

Mini part/accessories you like and recommend
« on: June 19, 2017, 02:39:25 PM »
I thought I'd start a thread where we can tell others about random Mini parts/accessories that we really like and would recommend to others. (as well as where to get them)

I'll start with this:

Back on the Spring Drive in the Texas Hill Country, my driver's side seat belt (original to my car) jammed, and it would not retract. Since I was driving solo, the quick fix was to swap out the passenger belt.  But it was clear that belt was not working too good either. 

So, I installed a pair of new retractable belts from MiniSpares and they are first quality.  I really like them.  And I was able to get them in red to match the ones I replaced.  They also come in beige, blue and grey.     

http://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/Interior/Seats_Belts/Seat_Belts/MSA1111RED.aspx?170502&ReturnUrl=/search/classic/seat belts.aspx

Yeah, I know it's not exactly a sexy Mini accessory, but it's a pretty important one to have in good shape.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
2007 Triumph Bonneville

Offline 94touring

Re: Mini part/accessories you like and recommend
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 02:45:59 PM »
One that comes to mind is if running an aftermarket filter is to put on a k&n stub stack.

Offline BruceK

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 02:52:05 PM »
Another part I highly recommend is this Phillips 1157 red LED to use for taillights.  Yeah, I know there are literally thousands of crappy automotive LED bulbs out there promising to be good, but this one is different:  It's made by a reputable company that is an OEM supplier of lighting to the automotive industry, and this LED light is fully DOT certified. Plus it is BRIGHT!

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-1157-Intense-Vision-light/dp/B00P2D415K?th=1

I installed a pair in my Mini a couple of years ago because I wanted brighter brake and running lights for safety purposes - I would prefer to be better seen on the road for safety purposes.   Yes, these LEDs look weird and are a lot pricier than the normal 1157 glass light bulbs, but they kick ass in how quickly they illuminate as brake lights, and how bright they are.   Just ask someone who has followed my Mini. 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
2007 Triumph Bonneville

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 03:42:55 PM »
Yep, those lights work really well!

I haven't done anything about Don's lights after you twigged to the problem on our Texas run....I think he's been so focused on his MG that he's forgotten about them.

MiniSpares is out of those seat belts right now (all colors) or I would order some as mine are acting up too, mine come out OK but don't want to retract unless I "help" them.
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
1969 Jaguar XK-E FHC
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7 TT

Offline bikewiz

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 04:08:44 PM »
Good lord.....$25 for a single light bulb!   :-\
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
1969 Jaguar XK-E FHC
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7 TT

Offline bikewiz

Offline bikewiz

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 04:19:36 PM »
Good lord.....$25 for a single light bulb!   :-\
Ya a bunch of money. I tried the Phillips to my eye these are brighter.

Offline 94touring

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 04:29:00 PM »
I suppose tools count.  Dave had his guy make a bushing for my swivel arm reamer. Other handy thing to have is the heavy duty filet strip tool. 

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 04:53:58 PM »
Cone compressor tool......I made my own but I've used it a few times now.......handy little bugger.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
1969 Jaguar XK-E FHC
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7 TT

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 05:05:29 PM »
OK, one the other direction.....everybody raves about K&N air filters, and they are terrific but according to Vizard the factory air filters work just as well, and here's the big difference - they are QUIET!

K&N's are NOT!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
1969 Jaguar XK-E FHC
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7 TT

Online Willie_B

• CREW
  • 1380cc
  • He who laughs last, thinks slowest.
    • Lilburn, GA,
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 05:48:27 PM »
OK, one the other direction.....everybody raves about K&N air filters, and they are terrific but according to Vizard the factory air filters work just as well, and here's the big difference - they are QUIET!

K&N's are NOT!

I have a K&N in the stock plastic housing. Best of both.

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 05:50:59 PM »
Yep, that's what I did with Buzz, but I could not find any difference between that and the paper element on the butt dyno.
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
1969 Jaguar XK-E FHC
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7 TT

Offline Flyinace2000

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 06:31:16 PM »
Another part I highly recommend is this Phillips 1157 red LED to use for taillights.  Yeah, I know there are literally thousands of crappy automotive LED bulbs out there promising to be good, but this one is different:  It's made by a reputable company that is an OEM supplier of lighting to the automotive industry, and this LED light is fully DOT certified. Plus it is BRIGHT!

I installed a pair in my Mini a couple of years ago because I wanted brighter brake and running lights for safety purposes - I would prefer to be better seen on the road for safety purposes.   Yes, these LEDs look weird and are a lot pricier than the normal 1157 glass light bulbs, but they kick ass in how quickly they illuminate as brake lights, and how bright they are.   Just ask someone who has followed my Mini. 

Do these work as a running light and brake light?  My red lights come one when the headlight master is on and then get brighter (second element) when the brake pedal is depressed.

Offline BruceK

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 09:00:28 PM »

Do these work as a running light and brake light?  My red lights come one when the headlight master is on and then get brighter (second element) when the brake pedal is depressed.

Yes.  These dual brightness Phillips red LEDs are a direct replacement for the traditional dual filament 1157 incandescent bulbs used as combination taillights/brake lights on our Minis.
With LED bulbs the recommendation is to use the same color LED as the lens color - a white LED through a red lens will look orange.  Or is it pink?  Anyway, not right.   So use red. 
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 08:11:42 AM by BruceK »
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
2007 Triumph Bonneville

Offline BruceK

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2017, 09:03:58 PM »

I have a K&N in the stock plastic housing. Best of both.

That's what I have on my Mini too. Seems like a good combination.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 09:15:46 PM by BruceK »
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
2007 Triumph Bonneville

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2017, 07:50:02 AM »

K&N's are NOT!

I bought it specifically for the sound. I expected no gains. Also makes the engine bay look a little nicer IMO.

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2017, 08:00:17 PM »
A lot depends on whether you have a bulkhead plate or not, that tends to knock the sound level down considerably, without it they can be really obnoxiously loud, especially when you're on the gas hard.
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
1969 Jaguar XK-E FHC
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7 TT

Offline bikewiz

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2017, 04:23:47 PM »
Something I just picked up from a guy in Canada it fits pretty good and looks like it will work well when doing routine stuff under the hood. https://dr-doolin.com/

Online Willie_B

• CREW
  • 1380cc
  • He who laughs last, thinks slowest.
    • Lilburn, GA,
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2017, 04:57:21 PM »
I have seen the miniblanket on ebay and wondered well it works.

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2017, 05:08:08 PM »
I really like that, but $70? Plus shipping.....

I just use the old fender covers I've had for decades, they're really soft after all these years.......
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
1969 Jaguar XK-E FHC
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7 TT

Offline bikewiz

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2017, 05:20:55 PM »
I really like that, but $70? Plus shipping.....

I just use the old fender covers I've had for decades, they're really soft after all these years.......

But Dave it has a embroidered mini emblem that's got to worth a couple bucks......

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2017, 05:53:49 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
1969 Jaguar XK-E FHC
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7 TT

Offline rmonagel

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2017, 04:18:54 AM »
I also have a Dr-Doolin blanket. Got mine on ebay.

Offline BruceK

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2017, 05:21:11 PM »
Randy was asking about the 3rd brake light I fitted to my Mini, so I thought I'd post about it in this thread.

I guess third brakelights aren't exactly a sexy Mini accessory, but in my opinion, they are pretty darn useful for dealing with modern traffic - when I stop I want the cars behind me to notice me.   And the normal Mini brake lights are down low -  just 20" inches or so above the pavement.

Sure, third brakelights were never fitted as original by the factory, but I found a real high quality one made by Hella (German OEM manufacturer to Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, VW, etc.) and it is really bright.  In fact, I've had many people - including other Mini drivers - make a point to tell me how bright it is.

It's not inexpensive, but I say it's worth it.  And it looks like it was fitted by the factory - not a PepBoys cheapie.

The only place you can buy one is through the website of automotive lighting engineer, Daniel Stern:

https://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html

This Hella 3rd brakelight, combined with the brighter Phillips LED 1157 bulbs I mentioned earlier in this thread really help light up the back of my car in traffic.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 05:26:00 PM by BruceK »
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
2007 Triumph Bonneville