Shift Knob Thread repair

Started by Flyinace2000, June 11, 2017, 04:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyinace2000

I have what looks like and original word shift knob. About a year or so ago the plastic insert failed and I was able to scrap it out. I tried repairing with sugru and re threading. But that's not working out. Should I drill out the whole, fill with epoxy drill and thread? The end of the rod is thread and tapered.

MiniDave

Don't you have a lathe? Find a nut the correct thread, turn the outside down and maybe knurl it, then drill the inside of the shift knob and epoxy the metal insert into it. Permanent repair.

I don't think filling the hole with epoxy and drilling/threading it would be a good repair.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Same idea, but his is easier and better! /\

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Flyinace2000

Great idea all. The car is a 1973 innocenti. MINI 1001. I post photos shortly

Flyinace2000

I was wrong about the taper

1973 innocenti mini 1001 https://imgur.com/gallery/Sbbpt

Flyinace2000

I cleaned out the hole and its is about 16mm wide (5/8") and the shift rod is about 8mm (5/16").

Flyinace2000

Quote from: bikewiz on June 16, 2017, 02:11:16 PM
Quote from: Flyinace2000 on June 16, 2017, 08:14:34 AM
I cleaned out the hole and its is about 16mm wide (5/8") and the shift rod is about 8mm (5/16").
It looks like you'll need to run a tap down the shift rod to clean things up. Unless Ino's had metric thread it looks like 5/16 x 18. You may have a problem with the threaded inserts, you can check but I think the pilot hole is 1/2" or so for the 5/16 size. Thickened epoxy or maybe JB Weld may hold it in if it has just a little grip.

I got a 5/8 threaded insert.  It was just a smidge to big to screw on to the shift lever, next size down (1/2) wouldn't fit at all.  Metric maybe?. 

Flyinace2000

I dug out my tap set (no dies unfortunately)  The threads on the 10mmx1.5 matched exactly.  The shaft is 8mm wide as measured by my caliper. 

Flyinace2000

Just closing the loop.  No idea why i have strange threads.  Ended up getting some fuel line and epoxying it into the hole.  Let it sit for 2 hours and screwed it on.  Works perfectly. 

Richard1

When I made my shift handle I drilled the center and epoxied a nut into the shaft.

MiniDave

The one on this '73 is a good looking knob, but it has a plastic insert that has stripped out it's threads - I'm going to put a helicoil in it and see how that does. Pics and such when I get it done.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad