Rotisserie build info

Started by 94touring, September 12, 2009, 11:59:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Here are photos and a pdf file, compliments of our member Snack, with useful info on how to build a rotisserie.  Anybody feel free to add your own method or ideas.    

Hayman9644

Hey Dan that link didnt work for me.

94touring

Try it again, its working for me. 

MPlayle

That link gets me to a Picasa gallery of photos of the rotisserie, but no pdf file with instructions.

94touring

Mmm, the pdf file is an attachment just below that link.  I see it logged in and logged out, so look harder, lol. 

MPlayle

My bad.  I was looking in the wrong place.   ::)

scooperman

hey man, nice looking rotisserie!

seeya

J.R.

snack

John,
That was one of my first welding projects.  I held on to your description from the original MM thread.  I liked building with the pipe, it allows pretty easy storage more or less flat against a wall.  Now the hard part finish the panel replacement and get the Mini off the spit.  Thanks again for the design.
steve

Tagus

I built a similar design to this one but added another adjustable pipe & bracket perpendicular to the main pipe. Onto this pipe I slid weights from a Barbell set. I slid the bracket on so that it was inside of the car and out of the way. It makes it very easy to rotate the car to any position.

94touring

Kinda like a counterweight?  Using a winch system on my pickup.

Tagus

That's right, it's both a counterweight and a good place to store those unused weights. Actually I picked them up at a garage sale - free! So I don't carry the guilt of good intentions gone bad. 

Mudhen

Quote from: Tagus on December 26, 2011, 06:53:58 PM
That's right, it's both a counterweight and a good place to store those unused weights. Actually I picked them up at a garage sale - free! So I don't carry the guilt of good intentions gone bad.

22.gif

Thanks for the pics and recipe, Snack.  Really like the use of those attachment points on the car vs others I've seen that sort of bolt to the firewall and rear panel.

How difficult is it to get the body up onto it and how did you (or others) get the car up onto it?

I was thinking about trying to use some sort of sleeve on the vertical ends and attaching the skewer to that - so it could ride up and down.  That way I could mount the car onto it, and then use something like an engine hoist to raise it up to the level I want it at and pin it there.  Probably getting to fancy...

Pat

94touring

Took a guy on each end for us to stick it up on the ends.  A hoist wrapped around the car would work though too. 

snack

I originally had the car on a homemade 2X4 dolly that held the car 18" to 24" of the floor.  I lifted the dolly with a floor jack, sticking scrap pieces of 6x6 landscape timbers under one end then the other until I raised the car high enough to slide the end pieces on.  Really didn't take that long.
Steve

94touring

This thread can be found in the DIY section. 

biketesting

Disregard all the above text, it is flatulence (still)

94touring

Too bad you're not nearby, I have one for the pickup and sedan.  Seems like you'd have enough scrap laying around with all the other work I've seen to piece something together. 

biketesting

My wife and I live on a ranch, where her father collected scrap.  17.gif if I can't make one of these no one can. Just looking to save time. I talked to the welder I bought the car from and he is more than happy to do the work. Not that I couldn't, but my vision and skill are not up to making it as nice as Hank would. I'll post some pictures once the process is underway.

Had some more conversations with the "original" owner (he actually bought it 1975) but he says when he got it, the car was green with a white top. Grey and green interior. The motor is a 1305cc as he built it (0.030 over) It is not the original block that I have but a 1974 Innocenti 1275 and tranny. Not a bad motor to have! Cooper S steel crank solid block w/o the lifter covers.
Disregard all the above text, it is flatulence (still)