Fred is driving in circles

Started by BruceK, May 26, 2017, 04:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

I'm not a really an IndyCar fan, but I am enjoying seeing Fernando Alonso step away from Formula  1 for a little bit and try to tackle this challenge.  I'm watching carb day practice right now and looking forward to the race on Sunday
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

He qualified well, but then so did Rossi.....who won it last year in his rookie season. Yep, going to be a lot of couch time this weekend watching the races.

Vettel is strong at Monaco, he's about half second faster than anyone, and more than a whole second quicker than the Mercs, who don't seem to have the plot this weekend.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I'm watching the 500 nearly life now, only 30 laps in.  Good race so far...
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Terrible and scary crash - but fortunately no one injured. Amazing!

Fernando is p1 !!!
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

77 laps to go, another terrible crash. Could not believe Dixon walked away from that one earlier!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Alonso's engine blows with 21 to go......Honda fails Alonso again!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Geez.  Perhaps Honda should just stick to just making lawnmower engines.   Because they are absolute shit making race engines anymore.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

They said they cranked 'em up for this race, obviously at the expense of reliability....still he was very impressive for his rookie race. Just before the engine blew he was really getting after it, making some great passes.

I'm hoping for Takuma Sato to win it!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Wasn't sure he was gonna get it when Helio went around him with about 5 to go but he came back hard and did it! good for him.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

That's the first full Indy 500 I've watched in many years.  The coverage from ABC was okay, which was kind of surprising to me.  During the last part of the race they used to put a camera on the driver's wife/girlfriend and play up emotions like a friggin' Lifetime network movie.    So glad they don't do that crap anymore.  However, they still have some awful interviewers asking dumb questions of the drivers. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jims5543

Poor Fernando, he cannot get away from those exploding Honda engines.

I watched for the first time in ages too, I typically do not bother with ovals and just try to watch road courses.

It was frustrating to watch. Seems there is a yellow / safety car every 10 laps, I am sure there were less, it just felt that way.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MiniDave

I told my wife it was the worst day in sports journalism when they started having women interview the players/drivers.....

"So Joe Blow, how did it feel to drop the game winning touchdown and lose not only the game, the series and the super bowl? How do you think your teammates will feel when you get into the lockerroom, knowing you let the whole team down at the critical moment?"

It's not that women can't do the job, it's what they HAVE them do that's just horrible, I assume to keep women viewers interested, cause I gaurandamntee you no guy would have asked that question.

BTW, did any of the Chevy engines blow during the Indy 500?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

BruceK

It's looking more and more like Alonso might leave F1 and go to IndyCar next year.  I think it would be cool if he did it.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S