Smoothe a ride cones, which goes where?

Started by MiniDave, May 26, 2017, 02:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

As I read the description in what passes for the instructions that came with the kit, in the contents it says "two long front rubber suspension cones" - I assume that means the longer of the two sets should go in the front of the car - BUT - I have my cone compressor as tight as it will go and I can't even get close to getting the upper control arm shaft in place. I'm thinking if it's this tight now, when (if) I lower it on it's wheels it will look like it's ready for the Dakar!

In the laughable instructions it basically says "remove the old ones and put the new ones in" but it also does say "Fit the new Moulton long suspension cones" when talking about the fronts.

When I put the coil springs (not coilovers) in Buzz I remember being surprised that the shorter spring went in the front (I had to write Huddersfield to find out that tiny bit of info too) and the longer in the back. Maybe the same is true here?

If not, I don't know HOW I'm gonna get this sucker compressed enough to get that upper arm shaft in place.....let alone get the small buffer into it's place.

Anyone know the answer?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

BruceK

Also, they made a special hi-lo type kit for the Smootha-rides?  I thought the kit was just rubber cone based...

http://www.i-firme.fr/Austin-Rover-MIni-Moulton-Adjusta-Ride-/-Smootha-Ride-Suspension-Kit
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

The longs go in the front from what I remember reading.  I struggle with regular cones half the time, but find that removing the upper arm so the knuckle joint fits in prior to slapping it all back together works pretty well.  Maybe that's the trick with these cones too.   

MiniDave

Well, I got it in place, it wasn't a matter of getting the cone into the subframe, but trying to get it compressed enough to get the control arm high enough to slide the shaft in.

I wound up remaking my cone compressor, the tubing I used was too thin and was buckling under the stress, so I cut a piece of black pipe, that allowed me to crank down on it harder and I got it into place. Probably one of my least favorite jobs is R&R'ing those upper control arms!

The kit I'm using is from MiniSport and it comes with new shocks and hi-los, but they're just the standard Hi-lo, nothing unusual about them. I read that you cannot get the Smootha Rides in with regular trumpets and you have to use hi-los with them - at least in the front for sure. I did both the right sides today, tomorrow I'll do the left. I have to pull the fuel tank and I think the water pump is leaking so I'll pull the radiator too, that will make installing the right side upper control arm shaft a whole lot easier!

It wasn't that hard once I got the cone compressed enough, but I hear they ride WAY high for the first few hundred miles or 6 months or so.......btw, the shock that come with the kit are gas pressure in front, but not in the rear. He's going for ride comfort not absolute cornering, so I think this kit will suit him fine.

BTW Dan, since he has access to a lathe, he's making a bushing for your reamer out of oil lite bronze, to replace the plastic one.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad