Exhaust pipe almost touching shaft coupling

Started by Armycook, May 12, 2017, 10:33:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armycook

I just noticed there is almost a few thousandths gap between the coupling and the exhaust pipe. Is there an easy way of making this gap bigger as i figure vibration may cause these two to touch.

Picture may look like it's touching but it's just the angle of the camera phone.

Armycook

i see that there's that black stain on the pipe already maybe they are touching and it was melted on the pipe

Armycook

took more photos and yes they're touching.

MPlayle

That is a commonly reported problem with the LCB style headers (which yours seems to be) and the 'Yoke' style outputs (which you have).

The two "solutions" I have read about are: 1) ensuring the LCB has the lower support clamp/bracket going forward to the case such that it pushes that branch of the LCB header backward enough to provide minimal clearance; 2) denting a flat spot in that branch of the LCB header enough to provide minimal clearance.

Also, ensure all of your engine steady bushings and mounts are in good condition to minimize engine rocking.

Edits: I rechecked the second picture and the clamp/bracket is present - on the other branch.  It may not be able to be moved to the offending branch of the LCB.  (Also updated the instructions in #1 above as the LCB needs to go the other way from what I thought.

MiniDave

3) different header.....

Engine steadies shouldn't make any difference, the header and yokes move together with the engine.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Merlin

Engineering the Impossible

MiniDave

Squishing the pipe down has a negative effect on it's ability to flow.....I think I would take the header out, heat it with a torch cherry red at the 90* downward bend at the top and try to bend it slightly for clearance.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Won't changing the bend at the manifold end result in a significant change in the position of the other end of that branch where it has to go into the 'Y' pipe? 

MiniDave

Yep, you'd have to probably bend it in a couple of places, that's why I said "different header" - the one that was OEM on my 62 Cooper S had only one pipe to join to the pipe under the car, not two, so there were different styles available even then.

The easy way is to bash a dent in it, but then why have a free flowing header if you're going to constrict half of it?

Truth be told, most people buy them for looks, they don't really get any real improvement in performance because the rest of the engine isn't turned properly to take advantage of it.

One like this would work vs. the second pic, which is what he has now.....I just wanted to illustrate the difference in pipes.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Armycook

i'm replacing the headers i think. but it does clear now.. that's because it grinded and chewed out the chunks that was hitting the pipe.

Merlin

Quote from: MiniDave on May 12, 2017, 11:22:35 AM
Squishing the pipe down has a negative effect on it's ability to flow.....I think I would take the header out, heat it with a torch cherry red at the 90* downward bend at the top and try to bend it slightly for clearance.

Not entirely true.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azPKIjxmmdU

Agreed that can cause some effect, but the gas velocity is low enough that you do not develop choke-flow.
Engineering the Impossible

Armycook

any noticeable difference between an LCB and a Freeflow manifold?

Armycook