Mk 3 / Mk 4 rear window latch points - Im stumped!

Started by thebluepotato, May 08, 2017, 05:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebluepotato

Hitting all my Mini networks tonight before I set this car abalze.... :-X Long story short, I went with a used RHD rear quarter light window (from a buddy) that was resealed and looks fine.  Odd thing is that when I close this window, there is a clear gap (pic 2) when the latch clamps down into place.  The LHD window does not have a gap.  New rubber window (body) seals were installed, so it is fresh rubber and installed correctly.

The only think I can see why this is happening is that on the RHD replacement window, there is more of a curve with the latch strap part (see pic 2) vs the one that is latching more tightly - with a straighter latch strap part (pic 3).

Anyone have any ides on why I am getting a gap?  Is there a way to adjust the RHD latch in order to close up that gap in the rear corner?

Maybe move the RHD latch mounting point (with two screws) a bit further back in car, or maybe insert a small shim under the latch mounting point to raise the clamp "bite"?

Just need an engineer here to thinking about the hinge points and how to make it "pull" in more when closing.

Willie_B

Merlin

Looks like you need to remove some of the curve. It looks as if the curve is bent a little on the left side from an impact or someone prying it. straightening the middle curve will pull the window in as the pivot point will be moved further from the window.

Sleep on it and it will be an easy fix in the morning. I can't tell you how many frustrating nights I have had with bullshit like this and the next day its the easiest fix in the world.
Engineering the Impossible

thebluepotato

Thanks guys - will try and give this a go this weekend.  My fear is how to bend the steel a bit without damaging the latch or the glass.  I can also try and unbolt the latch, have someone re-position the window in a tighter closed position (ideal state) and re-drill the mounting points for the latch.  Not sure which option is better to two evils.  Hate this niggly stuff  50.gif

gr8kornholio

You can get new quarter light catches from minispares for 18 bp and around 9 bp for shipping, so approximately $33 or so.

Minimania has them too, for $38.95 plus $9 in shipping for me to TX.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Merlin

I would bend it before I redrill. If it worked before, there's something that needs to be tweaked. redrilling moves the problem to somewhere else.
Engineering the Impossible