1980 mini HL restore

Started by emuswa, May 02, 2017, 10:47:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emuswa

Me and my wife bought this one out of a barn and the last mini we had was a 2006 cooper S. so you saying they don't know what they are in for would be exactly right. We have been buying parts to try and get it running. I've gone through changed the gaskets and making sure the engine looks right, replaced the sparks, boots, and got a "new" carb that i am rebuilding too. now i am lost and using the hynes manual like a bible. but i can not find out what these two links from the mechanical fuel pup goes to or where to buy new ones (due to the rubber just being worn and cracked). if anyone could help me out getting this thing running i would really appreciate it!!

BruceK

Looking at that Mini, you are far more braver than me! 

Are you asking about the two flexible hoses that carry fuel into, and out of, the mechanical fuel pump?  If so, you can just replace those pieces with lengths of generic rubber fuel line cut to match the existing hoses.  Make sure to only use hose marked for fuel use (e.g. not windscreen washer hose).  You can buy it by length at any motor factor, Halfords, etc.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

Make sure what size engine you have in order to get the correct one.  A 1980 HL would likely have a 998cc engine.

Look for the engine tag (on the block, below the spark plug nearest the radiator), if present.  It will permit decoding what engine you have.

For the mechanical fuel pumps, the nipple pointing towards the radiator is the line-in from the tank.  The other nipple is the line out to the carb.

emuswa

that makes since i know it is a 988cc. thank you i knew it would be something simple!

Merlin

I got a whole bag of nopes for that car.
Engineering the Impossible

jeff10049

Welcome to restoration mini.

Is that mini worth fixing? Looks to need a new body shell or, is that the plan?

Jeff 

ADRay

1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

MiniDave

With all the great Minis available in England, I often wonder why someone takes on a  project like this?

Why not spend the money and buy one that's either not rusted (do they exist?  ;D ) or one that's already been fixed properly?

I suppose part of the fun is the challenge.......that's what I'd call this one for sure - a real challenge!   77.gif

Good luck with your project - what are your goals for it besides getting it running? A total restoration or just drivable?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

rmonagel

Wow! That's a lot of body rust. Any update on your project?