Thud Thud Thud when coasting, sometimes

Started by Flyinace2000, May 01, 2017, 06:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyinace2000

gr8kornholio

What's odd with this pick is I see the two bolts on the right, but can only make out one on the left.  Which is opposite from the underneath shot, yes taking into account the car being flipped.  Hopefully. 

The subframe bolts on the right side of that pic are left of the tunnel, right where the toe board starts going up at an angle.  The one is on the angled area the other is on the flat part of the floor.  You can see the bottom of the bolt protruding below the floor from the cut out. (just saw updated pic, it's the bottom two)
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Flyinace2000

Quote from: gr8kornholio on May 02, 2017, 12:43:57 PM
What's odd with this pick is I see the two bolts on the right, but can only make out one on the left.  Which is opposite from the underneath shot, yes taking into account the car being flipped.  Hopefully. 

The subframe bolts on the right side of that pic are left of the tunnel, right where the toe board starts going up at an angle.  The one is on the angled area the other is on the flat part of the floor.  You can see the bottom of the bolt protruding below the floor from the cut out. (just saw updated pic, it's the bottom two)
My body shop wasn't exactly a detail oriented guy.  I'm willing to bet he just forgot to re-drill a hole for the mount after replacing the floor.

On this photo
http://imgur.com/WBRjqx4

Do you see a small hole at the corner?  Maybe i just need to move the carpet, redrill the hole, and put in a bolt. I could also check the other 3 bolts.

Willie_B

The ones several inches above and to both sides of the tunnel are for the steering rack.  The subframe ones will be right at the floor bend.

It looks like the body shop guy cut off the other bolt and subframe part when replacing the floor.

MiniDave

never mind, asked and answered already.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Flyinace2000

He could of cut it or it could of rusted away.  Either way....its done now and this is just another reason i will never use that guy again. 

Here is an older photo from under the car.  Not a great shot, but does it help?

https://goo.gl/photos/5A1cQTwU5PzXZkkt6

Pre-restoration photo
https://goo.gl/photos/Sh7BZdGtjdEoCkJg8

MiniDave

Is it just me or is that a really odd place for the accelerator pedal?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Flyinace2000

A few more photos of the new floor pans.

https://goo.gl/photos/9qFoFfwyWbuMZCsB9

You can see one bolt hole on the driver side.  I'm gonna say he forgot to drill a second hole on the passenger side. 

Flyinace2000

Quote from: MiniDave on May 02, 2017, 01:38:34 PM
Is it just me or is that a really odd place for the accelerator pedal?

Whats strange about it?

MiniDave

It's mounted to the floor, first of all, secondly it's so far back.....

All the Minis I've owned or driven have a suspended acc pedal - not saying it was never done this way, just that I've never seen it......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Some of the Innocenti Minis had the floor-mounted accelerator pedal.  One of those Italian only things.

Flyinace2000

Sometimes it's the easiest answer.... I had a loose lug nut. :-( 

On the plus side I tighten  up some of the exhaust clamps and steady while under there.

gr8kornholio

Glad you found it, now back to happy motoring. 71.gif

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Flyinace2000

gr8kornholio

Yea, as Bruce posted in another thread, always something.  I'm waiting on the parts I mentioned earlier to fix them from hitting the exhaust. 

MiniDave

Yes, but once you get them to a critical mass, it seems like they'll go along for years with just a little routine maintenance. That's what's wrong with 95% of these cars, they require routine minor attention and they don't get it. Today's cars are pretty much drive it and forget it, where these cars require regular hands on work....and since that hasn't been done we spend a lot of money and time trying to get them back to a useable state.

Look at the rear suspension on my Racing Green car, it looks like it hasn't been greased in decades, consequently the bearings get dry or water gets in them and they deteriorate - all for the sake of 5 min and a couple of pump with a grease gun. Conversely, now that I have rebuilt them and lubed them properly, I expect them to last as long as I own the car.....and more.

I bought what I thought was a decently well kept car, but I have so far rebuilt the entire brake and suspension systems on the whole thing, repacked or replaced wheel bearings, new tires and so on. But once done, the car seems to be pretty daily driveable....it always starts, doesn't run hot and next time I change the oil I'll replace the shift shaft seal - the only place it's leaking oil.....for now!

My old car Buzz is another case in point, I rebuilt the engine and whole front end on that one too, but it's done more than 20K miles without a hitch since.

Moral of the story, they always need way more work than we think, but once you do it all - and do it right - it can be a reliable car.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

And that's why I'm building up this pile of parts.  Going to get all the stuff that was probably neglected put back right and enjoy the wheels off of it.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Oh, and Flyinace......I've had to replace the slave on every Mini I've owned at some point, seems almost like a maintenance item now.

I think Dan keeps a clutch master and slave on hand all the time......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Flyinace2000

Order from MiniSpares shows up tonight. She'll be back on the road again by Friday.

94touring

I'll echo what Dave said.  Typically I've had to replace all the hydraulics and/or all the suspension in one shot.  Or even the whole fuel system.  But then they last ages and pretty reliably. 

Flyinace2000

Quote from: 94touring on May 10, 2017, 06:03:00 AM
I'll echo what Dave said.  Typically I've had to replace all the hydraulics and/or all the suspension in one shot.  Or even the whole fuel system.  But then they last ages and pretty reliably.

Most of my brake system is new, that was my first project when I got the car.