Leather Steering Wheel Wraps

Started by tmsmini, April 26, 2017, 06:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmsmini

Any one had a steering wheel leather wrapped?
There are DIY kits from $50 to custom jobs for $300.
My wife wants the stock wheels and they are just too thin for my liking, so I would like to get a quality wrap job done.
Terry

Willie_B

I looked at the DIY kits and the leather was too wide to fit a stock thin steering wheel.

tmsmini

That is why I am willing to send them to someone to be done right.
I put on some of those plastic/vinyl types with wrap around lacing a long time ago, but I would prefer this to be done correctly.

MiniDave

I found this online, might be worth a phone call.....

http://www.dallassteeringwheel.com/about.htm

Hang on, I know  guy near San Diego, all he does is steering wheel repairs, let me see if I can find his info.....found it!

http://qualityrestorations.com/

Dennis is a friend of mine from back in my Jaguar days, if you call him tell him Dave Craven (E-Type) sent you!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on April 27, 2017, 07:24:30 AM
I found this online, might be worth a phone call.....

http://www.dallassteeringwheel.com/about.htm

The skinny '53 Plymouth wheel with the leather added gives a good clue how a original Mini wheel would turn out.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

tmsmini

I have sent emails to Dallas Steering Wheels and Custom Craft.
Thanks for the San Diego connection.
Terry

tmsmini

Dallas got back to me.
I guys my desire is bigger than my budget:
Thanks for the photos.  The cost to recover your classic mini steering wheel with some options available is.
- Wheel $379 each (premium solid black leather).
- Extra padding $70 (your choice of either the 1/16" or 1/8" padding).  The plymouth wheel was done with the 1/8" padding.
- Colored stitching (no extra charge).

Either I find someone else, live with it or maybe try a Wheelskin kit that will need some modification to fit the small rim.

MiniDave

Quality costs, doesn't it?

The days of DIY on some things is just gone......

What would a nice aftermarket leather wrapped wheel and hub cost? Probably about the same?

Edit: Having said that, here's a UK company that offers wraps made to order for reasonable prices and shows you how to stitch it on......maybe worth contacting them?

https://www.leathersteering.com/en/

Edit II: I sent them a note

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Seems like a quality aftermarket wheel would be the way to go. 

jeff10049

wow, that is spendy. I get it though I restored my mini wheel filled all the cracks with pc7 epoxy, sanded, primed, and painted. With time and materials, it would probably be a $300-500 job at shop rate.

You might check with some local upholstery shops some around here do that stuff they are a little less money than Dallas. A friend had his MG done it was about $180 he may have supplied the wrap I can't remember.

Jeff

tmsmini

I did the PC-7 thing with the kit from Eastwood. Now I just want the rim wrapped. Most places just do full restorations. I would say what I did is a repair.
There are some blemishes that I did not see before paint, but with a smooth consistent coating, they are visible.

Wheelskins do a wrap similar to the UK company and also have an installation service.

tmsmini

I went with WheelSkins and had them do the installation.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

What's that under the dash on the left?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

Just a hanging pocket where my wife keeps her sunglasses. It sort of clips to the parcel shelf.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I'm intrigued by the extra gauge pod in front of the driver.

tmsmini

Nick Upton(Boot to Bonnet) now Seven Resto created the the pod. He is now creating version two for the other car with a slightly different viewing angle.

It is very similar to one that Doug Lawson and John Gervais have.

MPlayle

I was curious as something like that would make a useful addition for adding extra gauges on the Moke (Tach, Oil Pressure, Water Temp).

Something that would mount on top of the steering column support - no parcel shelves on the Moke.