Honda Beat

Started by MiniDave, April 22, 2017, 02:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

My grandson just called me to tell me he and his brother are importing a Honda Beat from Japan (it's already on the boat, should arrive end of May) I think it's pretty ambitious of them, doing it all by themselves like this. I'm a little surprised at this choice since I'm not sure either of them can fit in it as they're both 6'5' or so!

It's the only one I've seen that's not red, yellow or silver - this one is blue and has a hardtop - again, something I haven't seen on one yet.

I'm excited for them and can't wait to see it....I'll message him for some pics. This is a trial balloon for them, they'll shine it all up and put it up for sale this summer after they've had some fun with it.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Very cool of them.    Which port are them using?   I took car of everything myself on the first Mini I imported, including collecting it on the dock in Galveston.  But that was before 9/11 and it was a different world back then.  Now it's more complicated.  On my current Mini,  I completed all the importation forms and other paperwork stuff myself, but I also used a broker and I found a driver with a TWIC card for port access to assist with the pickup process.  Well worth the money IMO.

As to the Beat, I think it they are very cool cars.  I'd love to have one myself, and I've gone as far as purusing the Japanese auction sites looking for them.  They are plenty big inside.  I sat one the Lane Museum had back when we did the rally back in 2011 (?), and just a couple of months ago I was able to sit in a Beat at Cars & Coffee to confirm it again. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

The car is coming into Savannah, Ga......that's where my daughter and her husband went to college for 5 years, so it will be old home week when they go down to get it!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Funpig

MiniD..

not to hijack the thread but...Did they go to SCAD?  I use to teach there.  What did they major in?

MikeB

MiniDave

Yes, actually. He is an architect and she got her degree in painting......what did you teach?

They graduated in 93/94......

In fact, after graduating they lived in Decatur for a couple of years!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Got some pics of the Honda Beat to post......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Funpig

Mini D...

Awesome little car.  Just saw a yellow one on the streets here in Atlanta last week.  77.gif

..as for SCAD I teach painting.  I was in Savannah from 98-03 and then came up to the Atlanta campus in 05 til now.

MiniDave

Small world!

The car should be in Savannah by the end of the month, but the boys are leaving for Japan for two weeks about a week later so they won't have a lot of time to play with it before they go.

More as it happens!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

It's here! The boys picked the car up today at the port in Savannah, Ga and drove back home to North Carolina. Just in time too, as they leave tomorrow for Japan!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Sure looks like some fun ahead.

MiniDave

Their plan is to keep it for a couple of months then sell it on.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on June 08, 2017, 07:53:53 PM
Their plan is to keep it for a couple of months then sell it on.....

Very cool.  I'd think I be interested in doing a Japanese import like that and selling it later on.   I guess the parts supply thing is the big unknown.   We are very spoiled having virtually any part we need or want for our Minis available from so many sources.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

The boys are listing the Honda Beat on BaT, I'll be interested to see how it does. I'll post it up when it lists, the reserve BaT insisted on is pretty low......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Albannach

My buddy had a VERY nice Jap Import in his Yard this morning. I've never seen one of these before, and Boy was I impressed. A 2006 Honda Civic Mugen RR...absolutely gorgeous car.

Albannach

Bit the Bullet last Thursday and bought one of my Favourite wee JDM cars...a 1997 Toyota GlanzaV.
Love these little Pocket Rockets. Only a 1333cc engine, but boy, are they fast.  Torque Steers everywhere when you drop the hammer. Age means nothing with Jap Imports as they don't rot in the Honshu climate.
When Guido stayed at my place in 2009, before his first IMM, he drove the Glanza I had then. He begged me to send him one to USA, after doing doughnuts round my local roundabout.
Am bidding on a Figaro tomorrow at Shizuoka...if I get it, then it's a Xmas present for my GF in Florida.
They only made them for one year...1991... so shouldn't be any problems at US port.

MiniDave

This was a trial idea for my two grandsons, if it sells OK they may try and import something else.....

That Glanza is pretty cool, a real pocket hatch......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

My grandson sent me the draft of his ad for BaT and I advised him not to put it up for sale there....

After watching what has happened to a few people trying to sell Minis and such, I think they'll rip him and the car to bits, and he thinks he has a local buyer who will get him out of the car - I told him to sell it and move on.

Here's why.....I wondered why the car was blue as I'd never seen another one, and I spotted bits of red in some of the pics of the front trunk and such - the car was color changed from red. Also, the soft top was removed and the aftermarket hard top installed. The car was also tricked out with a complex high end Sony sound system but the wiring is a jumbled mess under the dash, it has two dents that the PDR guy wouldn't touch, larger wheels than OEM and a broken right side mirror that happened in transit - he has a replacement but it would need to be painted as it's currently red.

Bottom line, BaT would rip this car apart, and he doesn't have a good "story" to back up why the color change, why it doesn't have a soft top and so on.

What do you guys think, should he take a chance anyway and see what happens?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

The purists seem to swarm on BaT.  I saw an auction for a late 70's to early 80's chevy C10 and half the comments were why'd you modify this why lower it wheres the original engine ......   OMG it's an old farm truck that no one cares about. 

Knowledge is power, with power comes responsibility....  Not to be a know it all ass. 

If they have a buyer for a profitable price I'd sell and move on.  Use it as lessons learned.  I've joked about putting my mini up on BaT just for the commentary and maybe to learn more but it seems they have gotten more strict on reserve prices.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Looks like his local guy flaked on him, so off to BaT it goes, we'll see what happens.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Are people really expecting pristine originality when shopping for a Honda Beat?   I would think the bigger draw would be to own something totally different to what is typically available in the US, no matter if it left the Honda factory that way or not.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I gave him some pointers on how to make his description more interesting to a potential buyer, by pointing up the uniqueness and fun to drive factors....so we're on the same page.

I'm just going by the way they've honed in on other non-original cars on BaT....sometimes they were pretty vicious.

I also told him to answer every concern as best he could, absentee owners are the kiss of death to a good auction.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

And don't get defensive or take it personal.  Seen that blow up auctions too.

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Well, he got his first bid at least, and he seems to be handling the comments well......I hope the car does well for him, or at least breaks him out.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

I read through the comments last night and the typical internet idiots appeared.  Comment:  Looks like the car was originally red, was it painted?  Seriously, read the damn description.  Typical.  Headline. Pics. Shoot off mouth.  MERICA!!