I am outraged!

Started by BruceK, April 20, 2017, 03:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

/Rant on

I've been watching a lot of stuff go on lately and apparently the latest fad is for people to become outraged at something, and to make sure to do so in front of others (the more virtual others watching, all the better!)

It's now become some kind of badge of honor to proclaim your distain, your outrage as often and loudly as possible, and it's developed into some soft of a social contest to claim the moral high ground, and all this is only exacerbated by the narrow echo-chambers of FaceTube.   Be the first among your 'friends' to claim you own personal outrage.  Others will 'like' you for it! 

I see this a "Peter and the Wolf" situation; once everything is outrage-worthy, then nothing really is. 

/Rant over
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

Sounds like half my Facebook feed on a daily basis.

MiniDave

I do see a lot of "you won't believe" and "when you see this you'll be shocked" and the sort, I just look at it as click bait and move on.......
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Dave, that's not what I'm referring to.  I'll give you two recent examples of which I am tangentially aware: 

A physician who is a convicted felon refuses to follow directions and is physically dragged off an airplane.  Outrage follows.
A Pepsi commercial about street protests is viewed by some as trivializing the black lives matter 'movement'. Outrage follows.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Outrage, its funny you mention that today.  I was watching Weird Science last night and thinking about the outrage that would ensue due to the pretense of this movie.  For anyone who doesn't remember, two 15 year old boys create a 23 year old woman who takes them out, gets them drunk, is sexually suggestive with them all in a effort to score and be cool.  Just think about that in today's context.

Another grate outrage film is a cheesy movie called PCU(politically correct university)  If you can find it, it's great for a good laugh.

My favorite of late was the shooting in OK.  The young man/kid that shot the 3 intruders.  There was a magazine or something that had him labeled as the shooter and the 3 intruders labeled as victims.  Since when did people knowingly and freely committing a crime become victims.  How about some sympathy for the young man that felt threatened to the point he had to use a gun to defend himself and now has the live the rest of his life knowing he took the lives of 3 people.  OUTRAGED!

I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MPlayle

Welcome to the world going to "hell in a hand basket".   ::)

Willie_B

Merlin

It is an amazing society that we live in where we have the time to care about trivial things. Some countries don't have the same luxury and are more concerned with access to running water, decent food supply and personal safety. I personally think that it is great that people throw such a sissy fit over irrelevant shit as it lets me know that we are still trucking along as a superpower.

Engineering the Impossible

ADRay

I find myself asking, "Really? THAT'S the soap box you want to get on?!?" far too often lately.

1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

Jims5543

Quote from: BruceK on April 20, 2017, 03:37:41 PM
/Rant on

I've been watching a lot of stuff go on lately and apparently the latest fad is for people to become outraged at something, and to make sure to do so in front of others (the more virtual others watching, all the better!)

It's now become some kind of badge of honor to proclaim your distain, your outrage as often and loudly as possible, and it's developed into some soft of a social contest to claim the moral high ground, and all this is only exacerbated by the narrow echo-chambers of FaceTube.   Be the first among your 'friends' to claim you own personal outrage.  Others will 'like' you for it! 

I see this a "Peter and the Wolf" situation; once everything is outrage-worthy, then nothing really is. 

/Rant over

It is called "virtue signaling" and it is the new fad.  You have to be more upset over an issue than the next person and you have to make it VERY publically known you are very upset over this issue but will not do a damn thing more than post about it on social media, the platform of choice for virtue signaling.

Quote from: Merlin on April 21, 2017, 09:00:09 AM
It is an amazing society that we live in where we have the time to care about trivial things. Some countries don't have the same luxury and are more concerned with access to running water, decent food supply and personal safety. I personally think that it is great that people throw such a sissy fit over irrelevant shit as it lets me know that we are still trucking along as a superpower.

So much of this, first world problems baby!!

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MiniDave

Reminds me of that line from "The Incredibles"....."When everyone is super, then no one will be"

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad