Mini for $90,000? A series of custom-built Minis being offered, built to order

Started by BruceK, April 07, 2017, 10:35:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

British coachbuilder David Brown is building a special run of 50 classic Minis, and they won't be cheap.  Or look cheap either.   Custom interiors, de-seamed exteriors, and fitted with all sorts of goodies.

They plan a run of 25 inspired by café racers, and an additional 25 inspired by the Monte Carlo rally.

Check them out at this website:

http://www.davidbrownautomotive.com/mini-remastered/

And here's the Jalopnik article:  http://jalopnik.com/this-resto-mod-mini-is-almost-90-000-of-amazing-1794097436

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

jedduh01

I Laugh... will look great to admire in a collection.

But will stain your floor + ride bumpy and rough.   From what I see. same drivetrain no improvements or modernness
    Would carb tuning still a skill needed? or would they be SPI /MPI Shells?

How about a modern electric drivetrain inside??

MiniDave

I liked what they did with the interior, seats, console, power windows and such.....the tail lights? not so much. De-seamed body looks more modern but same old A series lump and trans under the hood. It says modern suspension but I don't see anything that leads me to think it's anything but same old mini stuff......

But £50K for the base model?  8.gif
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on April 07, 2017, 12:18:26 PM
I liked what they did with the interior, seats, console, power windows and such.....the tail lights? not so much. De-seamed body looks more modern but same old A series lump and trans under the hood. It says modern suspension but I don't see anything that leads me to think it's anything but same old mini stuff......

But £50K for the base model?  8.gif

As I understand it, the 'modern' transmission is just a 5-speed unit rather than the usual 4-speed.

Yeah, the taillights are the worst feature.    I get that they were trying for something unique, but that chrome embellishment is awful.    The would have looked better just frenched in without a lot of chrome.

The bespoke switchgear and the speedo with the digital odometer is pretty cool. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

The pictures of the engine installation on their website (and pausing that portion of the video Bruce linked) show it to be a MPI block going in.

BruceK

Oh, just found out that you can build you own Mini on that site, selecting color, trim, wheels, etc.

This looks somewhat familiar to me.   77.gif    (nice to see what my car would look like de-seamed and with a tan interior)

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

gr8kornholio

I guess if you want "Authenticity" then ok, but you can modernize a mini for WAY less than that.  My biggest hangup is the motor.  Come on, put something with a little grunt under the hood.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Dmulder

The de-seamed look is really growing on me.  It is something I wouldn't have considered a year ago.  However, it might be strongly considered when I do my resto.  Before it was just slight body work where it needed it and paint along with interior and then engine later down the road.  But now it might be de-seamed with paint and interior and engine down the road.
I've never been a fan of the chrome bullet mirror but that it starting to grow on me as well over and above my black plastic mirror that the previous owner tried to spray paint a checker pattern onto.
"In like a lamb, Out like a lion."

BruceK

I understand it's easy to do a bad job de-seaming job, and difficult to do a good one because of the amount of detailed welding involved and bodywork too.   Nothing worse than having a bad job letting your Mini literally come apart at the seams. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

ADRay

1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

gr8kornholio

I had no idea about the de-seaming process until that mini was for sale on BaT.  Wonder if there are pics out there of ones coming apart from a poor job?
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

I'd think the best way would be weld the seam from the back side, then cut/grind the seam off.

MPlayle

Which appeared to be the way this outfit is doing theirs from what was shown in the video and on their website.

They are also adding some significant strengthening support to the shell - one scene shows them adding an additional dash brace, others showing extra layers being added to the a-pillars and c-pillars over the inside seam welding.

SomethingNew71

Not gonna lie if I had 90k just laying around and didn't need it to live I would totally buy one of these old drivetrain and all.   4.gif

BruceK

I dunno.  I do like it. But if I had $90K lying around I'd be tempted to go for a variety pack of Minis for the money instead.   Like one each of many different Mini models.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

SomethingNew71

Quote from: BruceK on April 08, 2017, 06:24:42 PM
I dunno.  I do like it. But if I had $90K lying around I'd be tempted to go for a variety pack of Minis for the money instead.   Like one each of many different Mini models.

Mo minis mo problems :-)

BruceK

Here's a great video review of the £90,000 remastered Mini.

I really like shape of the grille - it's a bit of Mk. I plus a bit of Mk. II as well.   The speedo is really nice - looks to be a modern version (with LED odometer) of the classic Mini speedo - I wonder if Smiths made it?  Or David Brown did and put a Smiths logo on it for traditional sake?   Same for the oil pressure gauge.  Both do the 'sweep' thing upon startup.

(I take a little bit of pride in knowing my much, much less expensive Mini has the same tire/wheel combination  ;D  )

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

And here is an interview that touches on what goes into building the car - starting with brand new bodyshells that need a bunch of corrective work.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Many of the design details I really like, the dash for example....I like the three gauges, and I like how they did the HVAC. I like those knurled knobs that look like high end stereo knobs from the 70's and 80's.

I absolutely do not like the tail lights - at all - and the fake leather straps on the hood - well, they're not fake leather but they are not attached in any way that does anything meaningful - they sure as heck won't hold the hood in place!

I do like that they kept some chrome on the car, but I don't know about those headlights...they look real 90's but if they work well I guess I could get past that.

I like the de-seamed look and plan to do that to my project car. I also like the seats and door panels - they look premium and comfy.

I can certainly see how they could make the car as expensive as it is, but I sure have a hard time seeing this kind of money for one.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Their "regular" bespoke ones (not the limited 'Monte Carlo' or 'Cafe Racer' ones) have more normal (tri-bar) headlights and do not have the leather bonnet straps.  Unfortunately, all have the same tail lights.

The ones with the leather bonnet straps are going to wish they did not have them if the drive them much - the leather will weather and stretch and then slap away the paint on the bonnet.

Otherwise, they are extremely nice but way out of my price league.

94touring

The leather straps are dumb and the rear lights are ugly.  77.gif

BruceK

Yeah, I really think they should have created some very nice bespoke taillights that are reminiscent of Mk. I taillights - the same basic oval shape – but made them flush fitting to the bodywork.    That way they could have kept all the curves of the back of the car and the taillights would be very subtly integrated.

So, sort of like what BMW did with  flush taillights on the first generation of the new MINI, but much smaller.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Yes, that's exactly where I was headed too on the taillights.....something flush and similar in style to the Mk1.

I saw a coachbuilt Mk1 that had been de-seamed, they welded a piece of sheet metal inside to cover the gap before they cut off the seams. Seems simple enough......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

In some of the pictures and such on their website, it shows them welding straps to the inside of where the seams are.  It also shows they open the A-pillars and C-pillars to weld straps to the inside of those as part of their deseaming.