CRX90B Rally Replica Project

Started by Armycook, April 04, 2017, 07:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

You can set those rivets by hand with a hammer and dolly, then grind the bottom side flush again
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

I noticed that - just did a search and think these folks might have something small enough, punch included.  I'll keep looking though, might find something cheaper.

https://www.bits4landys.co.uk/rivets/solid-round-head.htm
- Pave the Bay -

velopackrat

Hey Dennis,

I wonder if your wife ever thought her husband would become famous for hot-rodding a small, old British car?  Great pics, stories and a phenomenal Mini.  Not many of us will ever have the opportunity to be low-balled by Mike from Wheeler Dealer:)

Keep 'em coming,

Chris

Armycook

Hi Chris,

She has a clue about who Paddy Hopkirk but thinks it's blah lol

I'm already happy enough that she goes with to mini meet west every year. Next year she might not go to Colorado with me so I think I will drive the car there. But not sure yet.

John,

Email me at santarinala@gmail.com

I can make you one if you wasn't and just paint it to whatever color you want.

Armycook

Here is the July 2018 Issue if Cooper World. Flip to page 38 for the story

http://www.minicooper.org/cw/8YJR/mobile/html5forwebkit.html

Armycook

The worse just happened Saturday morning. I was preparing the car for an early morning Cars and Coffee event up in South Orange County and had an accident in my driveway. Me and James Tran were planning to meet up at that new outlet so we can roll in the event together. It is supposed to be the first time I'm going to see the second Works rally mini replica of AJB44B. It was still a little dark and very early. Took the car out to have a quick wipe down of the glass especially the leaks underneath when suddenly the chock popped out after I dropped the jack. I forgot to pull the handbrake before hand and the car took off flying towards my neighbor's house across the street. I tried chasing it and I was able to open the door but failed to pull the hand brake. I managed to pull the steering wheel instead hoping it would turn and just hit my side wall and not make it over the street but it scraped the side and hit a parked car. The driver side door was wide open and I was behind it so it dragged me with it. I have little scratches here and there but my right inner thigh have this bad bruise. I was so devastated and wanted to throw up. So now I'm waiting what the adjuster will have to say. I'm undecided if I'll take it to a shop right away or take a check and decide later.. not really sure. The car suffered a left and right rear corner panel dent damage, both doors needed fixed and right passenger side has a nasty dent. Boot lid is bent a little too. Man oh man

Armycook

More photos. Boot floor seems intact and not damaged.

velopackrat

Uuuuuggghh, Dennis,

Boy, Howdy, what a downer. I'm so sorry to see your pics.  I feel for you, man.  The silver lining is, you're physically going to be ok.  And your car can be repaired too, just not overnight or through normal channels.  Ugh.

Once you dust yourself off and start planning what to do, just make the list and order the panels.  You can do it.

Chris

94touring

Ouchy.  Last mk1 genuine boot lid I did was $1200 after parts and labor.  Does that right quarter have a buckle? Should all be easy enough to fix, but hurts the soul.

jedduh01

Not fun!   sorry to hear + See..
  I can too say 'I've had that happen"

What i thought  i had was a  'flat garage floor"  but then one day = i heard a swooshing sound of my Moke rolling out + down the driveway  and Plop right into the wife's car. LF Corner

Lucky for me = it did break off the end of the Moke bumper= and folded under the corner rear lamp panel .  some scratches + chipped paint for sure.  (now considered battle scars)
Wife's car had  a pretty ugly mark on the fender and alum wheel took some damage...

It happens when we least expect it... I know how it feels!  youll get it patched up better than first time.!

Armycook

So far I have one restoration shop send me an estimate. I'm still looking for a few more. That way I have an idea if I'm short or over what the adjuster will have for me. If I have a shop in mind I'd just let them take care of it all but all shops I know around here are too busy and couldn't take any more projects. How much do you guys think this will cost to fix based on the pictures.

94touring

Paint/blend half the car, boot lid, fix rear quarter, door repairs unknown, California surcharge...6k? 

Armycook

Is there a way to guarantee paint match? I'd hate to discover after a year that one half of the car doesn't match the other half. I've heard a few that it is necessary to just respray the whole car. I'm totally clueless and I'm just caught off guard. Guess next time I just need to be more careful.

94touring

Blending takes care of any matching.  Technically it should match after a paint scan, but blending "blends" and the eye will never know even if it was off. You're getting new clearcoat from the doors back (minus roof) and red from the rear blended towards the a-panels.  I may have a rear end section I can sell for replacing the taillights metal.  I didn't factor that into my quote.  Rear end needs some work for sure. 

94touring

Example of my own car that was goofed via theft.

MiniGene

I saw your posts on Instagram....I know it made you sick because I it made ME sick!  I'm sorry to see this but glad you're okay.  You'll get it back to top-notch again.

Armycook

I just had my insurance adjuster finished taking photos of the car and so far I have found one shop that would be perfect to do it. My biggest worry now is matching the paint and if they decide to blend it with the older (3 yr old) paintjob. I hope it won't deteriorate after a few years or else I would be a very unhappy man. I haven't worked with this shop in Orange County, CA but I heard a lot of good things about them. I have this nasty bruise on my inner thigh that's been bothering me since yesterday. I'm limping a little bit but I hope it's just a sore muscle from being pushed by the car. I will post pictures and updates soon!

94touring

No need to worry, newer paints don't fade or suddenly look mismatched. 

94touring

Armycook

No nothing yet. This adjuster is hard to get a hold of. Kinda annoying. But I'm not in a rush too. I'm supposed to show the car this coming Saturday for October 13 San Diego british Car day. Supposed to be my last and then it's going to be repaired and then afterwards I'm pulling the motor, rebuild and convert to right hand drive. Yesterday we were on TV news promoting the event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_neRJMjhMU

94touring

Yeah caught the vid on Instagram, which prompted me to see what's going on!

velopackrat

Hey Dennis,

There's a guy on MM forum who's looking for an expert on rally Minis.  Of course your name came up and I hope the fellow finds you.

Chris

Armycook

First reply for year 2019 and it's been a long journey trying to find the right shop for my car's rear damage. There's this shop in Orange, California and they're a top contender for classic mini restoration. The owner's name is Chris Ashworth and he's an English artisan and the shop's name is Romance with Rust. It's been a long journey but man it was so worth the wait. I was all worried about the common shop horror stories of cutting corners, and half assing jobs but I didn't get that but assurance and peace of mind. He's always updating me about each step of the way with photos and him and his team has always been upfront and honest. His wife, Maria took care of the administrative part and has been very helpful as well. I'm the worse client and honest critique when it comes to my car just because I do meticulous work with it and my dayjob involves nitpicking the tiniest detail.

He told me he will not blend anything and will repair it seam to seam just because he doesn't want any unwanted imperfections popping up after a few months and years. I'm not the expert when it comes with classic minis, I'm not a rich collector and this guy didn't talk down to me or treated me like I'm no good like some. The car went in last October and I told them to take their time because I won't have any show commitments until March and so I'm just getting my car next week, Monday March 4. It was great anyway because the whole time my car was gone I was able to learn a new skill in leather craft and so I will be making some accessories for the classic minis.

Enjoy the new pictures 😁

Armycook

Armycook