CRX90B Rally Replica Project

Started by Armycook, April 04, 2017, 07:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armycook

I'm at it again. Sold the 997 Cooper rally replica and now I have a new project. Will be posting pictures of all the developments and hope it will make it to Mini Meet West 2017 in Santa Rosa, CA

Slittman

Hi armycook, great to hear about you replica project. My dad is the owner of CRX 90B and would love to see the results of your work.

Armycook

Oh wow... speechless! Well i'd love to maybe have a glimpse of the car now but here are some of the current photos. I've been busy...

Armycook

I'm still waiting for this sign shop to produce me the front vinyl plate that will go on the bonnet. The font isn't available so I had to make one from Adobe Illustrator.

Found this photo and was very useful to lift the smallest details.

Armycook

Installing the front bonnet vinyl plate

Mccaskey

Quote from: Armycook on June 20, 2017, 04:43:21 AM
Hey thanks. The car is almost finished and i was able to complete the works dash, carpets and got my front signal glass color changed to clear.

Looking good! Can we get an update? I love that color btw.

Armycook

Hey thanks. The car is almost finished and i was able to complete the works dash, carpets and got my front signal glass color changed to clear.

Armycook

Armycook

Had to make my own Wipac long stem flasher switch since these gets expensive every time they appear on ebay. somewhat close to what they look like

Armycook

the decals are very tricky too. I noticed the fonts aren't available anywhere and i spoke to a few replica gurus and we all agreed that if it looks perfect then it's wrong. a lot of these works cars have a little imperfection somewhere and it should give you that kind of vibe that it's a little misaligned somewhere. I made the GB badge and #72 door numbers on adobe Illustrator then took it to a sign shop to get plotted. thanks to old 8mm and 16mm black and white films i was able to capture some good angles to replicate the fonts.

Armycook

The carpets are Newton. I assumed they'd be very expensive but total came up to £167.74 and £78 for shipping (i ordered extra felt materials so it was slightly heavier) The trim was contoured nicely and its molded very easily. the cross member section had to be pre folded to make it easier to stick using a mallet and spray adhesive. The interior change was night and day with red carpets. The navigator door switch panel is installed too with the Avanti 18" lamp. Labels are on using an old vinyl stamp label maker. I'm only missing the 12V two pin lucas outlets and this should be complete.

Armycook

BruceK

That is a great-looking car!   Very cool to see all the period stuff.

Two questions:

1) Why did you choose CRX 90B as the inspiration?   Just curious.   (My favorite rally Mini is AJB 44B)

2) Would that car originally have had amber rear turn lenses?

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Armycook

Thanks Bruce! I like the placement of the front lights and this car that i acquired is a Morris. It's very rare that you'd hear of this car and so i figured I'd put more attention on this specific vehicle. However the interior and some elements aren't dead on accurate but for the quick glimpse It was a very nice challenge. A friend of mine in NY owns a replica of the AJB #52 by the way.

Armycook

Yes the car would have originally have the amber tail signal lights but since i decided to let it stay as a left hand drive mini i figured i'd leave the all red "export" feature. But i might get tired of it all and go all the way RHD someday.

Armycook

Some more photos of the finished interior and the engine bay (non works of course but it's clean enough i think)

Armycook

rmonagel

Everything looks great especially the interior and engine bay.

Armycook

MiniDave

Where do you find those big mud shields that go on the front?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Armycook

Perspex headlight guards? There's a few that sells them. Minisport and Bryan Purves does from time to time but usually it's a long wait. Ebay would have them too sometimes.

MiniDave

No, on your last car you had these big black mudflaps on the front of the car, either side of the grill......
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on July 05, 2017, 02:54:30 PM
No, on your last car you had these big black mudflaps on the front of the car, either side of the grill......
Like the Minis prepped for the East African Safari, such as the one below? 

I remember reading how the Works mechanics would often switch out bodyshells if one was damaged on a rally so the 'same' car could continue in the next event, so I wonder if that bodyshell in the background is just such a thing.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Armycook

Oh those! I don't know where you can get them now but i made those myself using sheet metal and thick rubber mat material that has diamond plate pattern in the back and they're held together with stainless steel nut and bolts with finishing washers used for leather bags.. They look the part. . I have the materials still. Every Works mini have different dimension of front mudguards. I think Minisport used to sell them.

Armycook

That's what i heard too. I can ask two owners of Works minis i met. They're the owners of CRX90B and LBL666D