Author Topic: CRX90B Rally Replica Project  (Read 3214 times)

Offline Ingman

Re: CRX90B Rally Replica Project
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2017, 07:45:11 AM »
What a great car.  Your attention to detail and ingenuity is impressive.
RJR

Offline Armycook

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2017, 08:24:24 AM »
Thank you very much Ingman!

Offline Armycook

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2017, 03:19:29 PM »
Been awhile but a lot of changes on this Works rally replica car. I decided itís time to replace the Minilites with the proper LP883 Cooper S steels just like on the old black and white photos. Found a nice newly restored set from Minimania classifieds and jumped on it right away. I was going to buy the alloy replicas but it didnít look right without the hubcaps as the alloy replicas are reinforced around the lug holes.

The new wheels looked very nice but it looked so damn clean for this car so I decided to wet sand the high wear areas a little and gave it a little patina with lint free rag and brake fluid. The bare metal wouldnít look natural with the theme so i placed papertowels and poured vinegar on it. Let it sat for 3-4 hours and then gave it a few coats of glossy clearcoat. The finish looked great.

Another additions I acquired were the two 50 something year old Dunlop SP44 Weathermaster tires from Ex Works rally mini LBL666D owner, Mr. Mike Hyrons. He told me itís one of the spares at actual mid 60s Monte Carlo Rally race.

Offline velopackrat

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2017, 04:59:52 PM »
Wow Dennis,

That thing is awesome.  Where did you find the Heuers? 
If you get a wild hair to put twin SU H4's on it, I've got a pair calling your name:)

cw

Offline Armycook

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2017, 05:09:03 PM »
Yes sir iím interested!

Theyíre not Heuers. A friend told me where to get it on Ebay. Theyíre just regular pocket stopwatches but same size and dimension at least. It works for now until my budget allows me.

I have a blowby. The engine is 1275 austin america with a cooper S head and a single HIF6 carburetor. My next project is to remove the engine and replace some things as this engine was claimed newly restored but it didnít have not even a single breather. Let me know what you have and letís talk offline. I donít have much budget so iím doing this little by little.

Ideally i want it to get it very close to a proper Works engine spec. Itís ambitious but itís a nice goal especially when a lot of Ex Works owners and participants are watching. No pressure right? lol
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 05:10:58 PM by Armycook »

Offline Armycook

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2017, 05:16:17 PM »
Did I mention Les Leston steering wheel? Iíve added one too lol. I met a LL collector and bought one from him then found another proper flat 15Ē and won it in an Rbay auction too but itís gonna need a proper Morris bosskit and push horn.

Offline Willie_B

• CREW
  • 1380cc
  • He who laughs last, thinks slowest.
    • Lilburn, GA,
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2017, 06:01:26 PM »
Great progress. Just hope it does not get to the point where you quit driving it. 4.gif

Offline Armycook

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2017, 06:06:24 PM »
Itís actually getting to the point where few people are starting to make offers lol

Been in this stage before but i love driving this thing. Just the blowby thatís annoying. Been trying to suppress it and getting around the oil leaks. But overall iím having a lot of fun.

Offline Armycook

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2017, 02:36:20 PM »
I forgot I was able to acquire the Works exhaust system by Somerford. I like how it sounded and how it pulls. Here is a short video comparison between the two.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qswgHZQc594

Hereís another clip of the Somerford

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=11s&v=GnlQRDDE5_8
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 02:42:55 PM by Armycook »

Offline Willie_B

• CREW
  • 1380cc
  • He who laughs last, thinks slowest.
    • Lilburn, GA,
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2017, 08:51:12 PM »
Sounds good.
Lets us know how it is on the expressway for an extended time.

Offline Armycook

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2017, 10:14:56 AM »
So I am back again. This time with a few additions. Finally got the dual H4 Carbs from Velopackrat and I also acquired a Smiths PCV valve to help minimize leaks. I still have the fuel mechanical pump breather vent with the baffle I got from Heritage garage. But I noticed that it is still spitting oil from back there. I also added another breather on the rocker cover. I wouldíve gotten away with just hooking up both those vents to the PCV valve but with the oil still coming out Iím still dependent on that catch can baffle (but this time I removed the air filter from the Moroso catch can and found a hair spray cap and so it is sealed now eliminating vacuum leak w/ the pcv valve). I do plan on getting everything correct but i figured iíd make this work temporarily while iím saving money for a full rebuild later when iím ready. Might as well look at everything while the motor is out. I repositioned one of the heater hoses and installed this 1/2Ē copper tubing as a bypass just like how BMC Works minis does their engines.

Pardon the inconsistent parts. Iíll make it look better after I find myself a time to permaswage some braided lines and make a proper catch can to be hidden underneath the wing.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 10:16:55 AM by Armycook »

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2017, 11:21:00 AM »
What are you doing for air filters?
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
1969 Jaguar XK-E FHC
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7 TT

Offline Armycook

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2017, 12:14:55 PM »
I have these 😉

Offline Armycook

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2017, 08:12:40 PM »
Filters in

Offline 94touring

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2017, 08:45:10 PM »
Links or part numbers to that filter setup?

Offline Armycook

« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2017, 09:05:36 PM »
Ask Velopackrat. He made those air horns  on a lathe and mill to fit these K&N part number B035B4. That dude is cool in my book.