CRX90B Rally Replica Project

Started by Armycook, April 04, 2017, 07:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armycook

We debated if were going to stick to OE White door squares but it really didn't give much vintage impression so we decided on a tad creamier shade. It looked great.

It also pays to be a graphics designer being able to make your own decals just like how they were in 1965.

Armycook

So yeah. The car is finished. It's gonna make it to Minis of Los Angeles club's Classic Auto show in March 16-17 in Socal. Thanks to MOALA for that. I'll post more photos.

BruceK

Better than ever!  Looks fantastic.  Must be nice to start enjoying it again. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

velopackrat

Yay!  CRX90B is back on the road:)

Dennis,
Telling you "well done" doesn't really do your efforts - or your car - justice. 
There are USA Mini rally car experts and then there is Dennis.

Take pics of the SoCal gathering for us,

cw 

Armycook

Oh man there are a ton of things I still need to do to this car. Unfortunately I injured my left shoulder and it's been very difficult lately. Ive been on this battle with work comp and last Dec having my claim denied... so much for that.

So changing to RHD might not be an option until later. But I'll have to rethink up to how far I want to take this build. I'm at the point where I want to stop now and just leave it as it is but maybe I'm just frustrated because of my health being not 100%.

Then there's this thought of selling it.. ugh...

Armycook

Forgot to mention I've picked up a new hobby. I bought a used industrial sewing machine and built myself a Works grill muff just like in the black and white photo of the CRX90B. But it was acting up on me so the stitches weren't great. But usually all first prototype projects got issues... but hopefully I get this finished before Friday because this weekend is the Classic Auto show at the OC fair and center in Costa Mesa. Should be another fun event. This time Mike Brewer won't be there to try and buy my car 😂

BruceK

Good on you for learning to do that.  Looks great! 

And the upcoming event looks like it will have a good number of auto celebrities too.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Armycook

I'm learning a lot and would like to make tool bags and sell them. Yeah last year it was great. I met a lot of celebrities. Looking forward to meeting new ones this weekend.

MiniDave

I wouldn't worry about the quality of your stitching on that first effort, I seriously doubt the originals were all that well made either, after all - it's a rally car! They expect them to get beat up in the rally.

The only face I recognized in that poster was Wayne Carini......maybe Adam Carolla?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Two others to the left and right of Corolla, Mark Worman the Mopar builder from Graveyard carz and Dave Kindig from Kindig it design/Bitchin rides both on the Motor Trend channel.

BruceK

As for the woman, on the right I believe that is Lyn St. James, the race driver who completed in CART and at Indy among other races.  And on the left it is Sarah 'Bogi" Lateiner who wrenches on the All Girls Garage tv show.   I don't know who the sunglasses/hat guy is.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Armycook

March 14, 2019 around 3pm I received a call from one of the organizers of The Classic Auto Show and she requested that I be moved at the Grand Boulevard area where it houses the best 30 cars of the event. Most cars are 6-figure value cars and a few million dollar ones. There was a Merc, Duesenberg, Matt's, Metz, Cadillac, Tomaso Pantera, La Bestioni, Fiat Jolly and few more really nice ones. I didn't think twice but had to let MOALA guys know because they have a reserved spot for me for their theme. I felt bad that I had to be a last minute problem for the club but I figure they'd understand because it's once in a lifetime I'd get that kind of privilege to have my car next to these giants.

March 15, 2019 around 10am I arrived at the OC Fair and Event Center in Costa Mesa and there was a lot of  cars already. Kindig big trailer RV was there already with the Meguire's booth setting up. I parked my car and did my set up. Even better that my winter grill cover made it last minute to complete my theme.

The show was great and I was in awe and disbelief that the rally mini won People's Choice Award at the Grand Boulevard level. Super happy!

More pics to come

gr8kornholio

Congratulations!  4.gif  Loved seeing all the pics and stories on Instagram too!
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Armycook

Yeah seems like this thread is where all documentation of my car's transformation is. I like this a lot. Super easy to navigate and post photos too. But most photos are on Instagram and very few on Facebook. Here are more photos from the show. This first pic is with Andy Leach when I received the award. And few photos of cars I competed with. Overall a fun event. Met a lot of great people and friends.

Armycook

MiniDave

They had the Mercury from the movie Grease!   ;D
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Armycook

The Winter rally grill cover looked great too. It just completes the theme.

Armycook

Quote from: Armycook on March 22, 2019, 12:07:10 PM
The Winter rally grill cover looked great too. It just completes the theme.

Yeah. The original Hell's Chariot Merc. The owners had a lot of fun with it letting everybody sit in it to take photos. They're very nice peeps. They won Kid's Choice award.

BruceK

Congratulations on the award!! 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

velopackrat

Way to go, Dennis!  Your machine looks 100% great and the People's Choice award proves you've been on the right track all this time.  Kudos to you, man.
Don't let Wayne talk you out of your car, ok?