Seamonster Seatrout

Started by John Gervais, March 25, 2017, 09:16:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Gervais

I caught a pretty big seatrout (steelhead) yesterday in Isefjord just west of Roskilde.

At 70 cm long (27.55") and my biggest so far, and I'm quite chuffed as I started fishing about 1½ years ago.  This is also my 3rd 'big enough to take-home' fish this year.  I didn't have my scale with me, so I don't know how much it weighed, but it fought like a banshee - it jumped completely out of the water several times, ran the line out a few times and was really a thrill to finally net it and wade back into shore.
- Pave the Bay -

towjoe

Nice sea trout!!
Regards
towjoe  77.gif

Jims5543

Nice catch, your rig looks pretty light too, I believe you when you say it was a hell of a fight.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

gr8kornholio

Nice catch, thanks to TV just last night I know the meaning of chuffed.  Lol.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

John Gervais

- Pave the Bay -

Jims5543

I grew up in a fishing home, while dad did not take me out much, there were many occasions where he brought home monster Striped Bass, he used to work nights so on the weekend he would stay on the night schedule and fish.

On the few occasions when we took me it was usually for Flounder, he had some nice holes he would hit, so it was not fishing it was catching. One trip we pulled in over 100 flounder in a morning. There were 3 of us in the boat.

This was back in the days before fish finders gps and fancy electronics, he used to find holes by using a sinker and checking depths. When he found a good one he would make notes of what to line up with on shore so he could get back over the hole again.

You are making me want to go drown some worms.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

John Gervais

When I was very young, perhaps 6 or 8 years old, my dad had a 16 foot boat w/ an Evinrud 75 attached to the stern, and we'd go out as a family, 3 young'uns, mom and dad, fishing for flounder off the Massachusetts coast.  T'was really basic fishing, dropping the lines straight down (we didn't have enough fishing rods, so someone always got stuck with the wooden 'H-shaped thing' and hand-wound line) and reeling the fish up.  We'd often have a bucket of 50 or so fish harvested off the coast sometimes as far out as Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket.  Mom wasn't so happy, as 'her job' was to make the sandwiches and jug of cool-aid - not to mention deal with the day's harvest once we got home.

I later graduated to a soup can o'worms and small tackle box, biking to the local pond with the neighborhood boys.  We never caught anything exciting, save for the occasional blue-gill or small perch.

As I got older, I got busy with school, the military and work, and never really had time to fish, though always thought I would again someday.

That someday came around a year and a half ago, as my wife noticed that I rarely went outside - unemployed and spending too much time looking for work.  She suggested that I go fishing - since I mentioned once that I enjoyed it as a yoot.  I invested in some PVC waders (Viking brand - don't need to wait for them to dry like neoprene), a 10' Fenwick Ironfeather Quadrant 4-piece (8 - 32g) rod, a Penn Slammer 360 reel and a ton of lures - much more than I'll ever need or use.  I fish nearly exclusively with line-through lures, and it's been a ton o'fun.

So, as I'm still unemployed and see the tunnel's light dimming, I make it a point to get out at least once each week.  I get some fresh air and see parts of this country I'd never see otherwise, and I get to enjoy an occasional adrenaline rush - standing mid-thigh in freezing water makes one earn each fish - and Hyacinth gets a fresh fish dinner now and then.
- Pave the Bay -