Formula 1 - 2017 Season

Started by BruceK, March 24, 2017, 09:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

Of course I wasn't the only one to see that Bottas had jumped the start.  But now comes news that it was okie-dokie to do so:

Valtteri Bottas was cleared of jumping the start at the Austrian Grand Prix because any movement his car made before the lights went out was within tolerance limits allowed by the FIA, it has emerged.
The Finn made what he described as the "start of his life" away from pole position in Austria, although his rivals were convinced he had moved before he was allowed to.
F1's data systems indicated that Bottas had reacted within 0.201 seconds of the lights going out, but front row starter Sebastian Vettel doubted that because he believed the Mercedes driver had moved while the lights were on.
Although the Austrian GP race stewards investigated the matter, they ruled in the end that Bottas had not made a false start.

However, that did not stop there being some confusion about why they had reached that conclusion, with television footage widely circulated on social media indicating that Bottas' front wheels were moving while the lights were on.

The FIA has explained, however, that some movement before the lights go out is allowed because of the need occasionally for drivers to make adjustments to their clutch in those crucial moments before the start.

Such a system has been in place for 20 years and has been accepted by all competitors.

The FIA deliberately does not disclose what tolerance is allowed before it takes action, for fear that if teams were aware of what was allowed they would start exploiting this to boost their getaways.

An FIA spokesman said that any movement observed on Bottas' car between the five lights being on and them going out was within this allowed limit – which is why the Finn was not deemed to have done anything wrong.

"In today's instance, Valtteri Bottas did not exceed this (very small) limit before the start was given," said the spokesman.
"Simply put: he made an exceptionally accurate and fortuitous judgement call, anticipating the moment the lights went out with great precision.

"Any movement prior to the moment the lights went out was within the tolerances allowed."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/bottas-start-penalty-austria-fia-928763/
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

gr8kornholio

I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

I knew it couldn't last - Vettel on top in his Ferrari that is.......this was not a good weekend for the boys in the red jammies, both cars having to pit with less than 2 laps left. Vettel still has a 1 point lead, but I think the handwriting is on the wall and it spells Mercedes and Louis Hamilton.

Bottas gave it one hell of a go to finish 2nd and I think he will be the only real challenge for the Hamster the rest of the season.

The Hulk was running 6th in the late going, I still think Renault should sign Alonso and let him finish his career with them - I think they have a good shot at unseating Mercedes...or at least giving them a hell of a challenge - next year. Ricky Racer from 20th to 6th? Hell of a drive too.....

The "torpedo" lives up to his name too, I can't believe they will sign him for next season.....I think he's done.

All in all another typical F1 race - the leader gets a good start and runs off from the rest of the pack. Whoever has bad luck drops out to shuffle the order and that's how they finish........not really racing anymore is it? At least not in the classical sense.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I was kinda hoping it would rain during the race.   But there were some interesting passes going on - love to see Max taking chances and holding ground too.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

flipstah

MiniDave

Hungaroring 2017

Congrats to the boys in the Red Jammies - finishing 1-2 despite a tough challenge from Mercedes, but the Ferrari seems to have the edge on the shorter tighter tracks.

Interesting race in some ways, it looked like the usual leader cruise to the finish, but at less than half distance Vettel's car began turning left down the straights. The announcers were castigating Ferrari for not having Kimi pass Seb to ensure the win, but they stuck to their guns and Seb is now 14pts ahead of the Hamster. Kimi was not happy in the interview but tried to put the best spin on it he could, but you could tell he knows he's not the #1 driver and that has to bother him badly. The crowd were chanting Kimi Kimi Kimi in the interview and he had a very resigned look to him......

Which brings up an interesting question, Hamilton was about 5 sec ahead of Bottas at the end and let Bottas pass him right at the finish. The official reason was that Bottas let him thru to see if he could catch and pass the Ferraris - which he couldn't/didn't, so he let Bottas back thru at the end. Does anyone in the whole universe think he would have done that for Rosberg? Ever?

It cost him some points against Vettel to do that too - and I guess it shows how little the drivers championship means to the Mercedes - the Constructors is everything....and the only thing.

Verstappen took out his teammate on the first lap but managed to fight back to 5th despite a 10 sec penalty. I wonder if Mad Max will be driving for Red Bull next year?

Finally - Honda - finished with both cars in the points.....it took a lot longer than anyone expected but I have to believe Honda is on the right track at last.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

flipstah

Quote from: MiniDave on July 30, 2017, 08:19:07 AM
Hungaroring 2017

Finally - Honda - finished with both cars in the points.....it took a lot longer than anyone expected but I have to believe Honda is on the right track at last.

The track saved them. I'm just happy Alonso got points. They're my team since day one. Will stick to them.

gr8kornholio

Since all the money is tied to the constructors title it's not surprising they really don't care about the drivers championship.  Which the reward is only pure bragging rights.  No money what so ever.  Surprised at some point and time if the teams haven't lobbied to get rid of the drivers championship.

Glad to see more than the silver arrows running away with everything.  Love the competition, even when it is nearly a parade.  Max and Kimi may be in for new rides, how about a swap.  Felt bad for Ricardo, but thanks to Instagram it sounds like him and Max have talked and agreed it was just a racing incident.  Of course, Ricardo believes it was avoidable, but really if the cars where switched he'd have dove that corner too.

3 week break SUCKS!!  LOL.

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Jims5543

Woke up Sunday morning (EST) and found the race on Kodi (Sky feed for the win!)  put it on just in time for the formation lap.

MRs5543 asks if we are still going on our morning walk with the dog since the race is on. I told her yes, it is the Hungeroring. Let me watch the first 3-4 laps (ended up watching the restart after the safety car) then we can go.  I told her the top 5 possibly 10 running order by lap 3-4 will be the finishing order.

I was right.

I tuned back in around lap 40 and by lap 44 or 46 Bottas had moved for Hamilton so that changed.

Then Hamilton gave back the spot (respect) and they finished the same as lap 4.

If you looked hard enough there was some excitement. Otherwise, was glad I did not stop my morning for the race.

I disagree, Max ran wide the turn prior and tried to fix his mistake in the turn after, her blew it and his over reaction ruined his teammates race, cardinal sin.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MiniDave

I agree that F1 racing is nothing like it used to be, but it's been this way since Michael started winning with Ferrari, and maybe even further back with the Williams domination and even further back with McLaren......so nothing new here. The guy that gets out front at the start is probably gonna win......

I still enjoy the technical and strategic challenges they're going thru, and it's been fun seeing some of the new guys come in and ruffle some feathers. Honda's ongoing problems are just dismal, but I still have confidence they will get it right at some point, and I also think Renault is going to come roaring back to the front, tho I don't think Joylon Palmer will be behind the wheel if and when that happens.

Still don't know what to think of Kubica's wanting to get back into F1...I really think if Renault don't sign Alonso they're making a mistake - he could help them so much and I honestly think Renault will be challenging for the front of the mid pack next year, if not seeing some podiums.

When you look at the big pic, I think F1 is poised to get really competitive next season, the mid pack already is within one second of each other from top to bottom, if one of the top three falters even a bit we could see some new blood up on the podium.

I still think this year's championship is Hamilton's to lose, even tho he's still behind Vettel at this point and Ferrari is having a much better season this year than last - to me Mercedes still have overall the stronger team.

What do you all think?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

I'm enjoying this year.  Even when the pole sitter wins, it isn't a huge gap like past years.  If you make an error your parade is over quick.

MiniDave

Well, the first shoe has dropped in the 2017 Silly SSSSSeason - Kimi Raikonnenenenenennennnnnnn has resigned with Ferrari for next season. It's said that Vettel insisted that he stay as part of his bargaining for next season.

So only a few seats left, looks like Kvyat may retain his ride for next year, I'm betting a large infusion of Rubles had a lot to do with  that decision, after he earned the nickname "The Torpedo" this season! Sainz was talking a move, but talk became cheap when no ride appeared - and he's going to stay too.

Renault is a big question mark - I still think the best thing they could do is hire Alonso and let him finish his career back where he earned his first championship. But with Kubica in the mix (is he really?) and wanting to keep the Hulk that one remains a mystery to be solved. I imagine keeping the lackluster Palmer is an issue only because I'll bet he works cheap.

Force India is set, Sauber might be forced to change their drivers only because Ferrari has their hand WAY up their butts now, but they would bring in some new young future Ferrari drivers much like Red Bull does with Toro Rosso.

With Kimi signed, that means Max will stay with the Reds Bull and Danny Ricky Bobby is happy where he is too.

Haas won't change midstream, they prefer the continuity and both their drivers are getting pretty good at making it into the top 10 now.

Williams is a bit of a question - will Massa retire again? If so they'll want to hire an more experienced driver to pair with Lan$e $troll

That leaves Bic Mac - if Alonso wants to stay in F1 his choices are Mac or cheese - and that's only if the cheese loving surrender monkeys decide to ax the Joy, don't sign Kubby and beg him (with huge bundles of unmarked bills) to come aboard.

If Renault does the incredible and sign Alonso, that puts the Macs in a funny position with only one season under VanStoffledorne's seat and no real experienced drivers willing to jump onto such a sinking ship.

We'll see what happens next......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

So, Seb wants to ensure his control over the other Ferrari pilot?  And he doesn't want an up and coming superstar to be his teammate?

Shocking. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

One way of looking at it, but if Ferrari want another championship they need two drivers who can finish 1-2, just like at Mercedes.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I watched practice from Spa today.  I'm hoping for a little rain for quality tomorrow. 

Did I miss why Leigh Diffy was absent from the broadcast?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

He was back today for qually....which went pretty much as expected.

I've decided to root for Bottas to win the championship this year....I'm tired of the histrionics of Vettel and Hamilton. Time for a new face.......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Gonna have to change his nickname to Slick Rick after that move on the restart.  Got a Mercedes and a Ferrari in one corner.  Yay for the podium.

Hamster managed to keep Seb just behind him.  Makes you wonder though with the softer tires how he could never really get close.  Alonso frustration on the radio and Max car problems.  Can Red Bull really not give this kid a car that lasts.  Seriously, I love Riccardo, but when the other guys car out qualifies you but then dies in the race the suspicions   will rise. 

MiniDave

Decent race but only because the safety car bunched them back up again.....

Rumor mill has Alonslo going to Williams to replace Massa.......I still say Renault is where he should go, the Hulk finished 6th - ahead of Massa - and the Renaults are getting stronger every race, even lame-mo Palmer was running in the top 10 for a while.

With Monza (another high speed track favoring the Mercs) up next the drivers championship will close down to nothing again - this one could go all the way to the end of the year, but unless Ferrari can start getting some 1-2 finishes, the ACTUAL championship - the constructors - is done already....victory to Mercedes on reliability and strong, consistent finishes by both drivers.

So what happens to Bottas? I think MBZ would like to have Mad Max, (so would Ferrari but that ship has sailed with the new contracts for both Kimi and Vettel already signed)  and he would give the Hamster a real run for his money - team orders? Ha! But word is that both Max and Ricky Racer are solidly tied up in contracts.......so who knows? Bottas has done everything he should to make himself a fixture at Mercedes, but somehow I don't think they love him for the future.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Sergio Perez and Esteban Ocon have been threatened with race bans by their Force India team if they collide again.
The duo clashed twice during the Belgian Grand Prix – with their second collision on the run down to Eau Rouge breaking Ocon's front wing and handing Perez a puncture.
A furious Ocon later tweeted that he believed Perez had tried to 'kill' him twice with his driving – an accusation that his Mexican teammate later refuted.
But amid heightened tensions between the two drivers, Force India has made clear that it has lost patience with them and will no longer accept further incidents.
With the pair having previously rowed in Canada, collided in Baku and then clashed again in Hungary, Force India says the situation has now gone too far.
COO Otmar Szafnauer has already said that the pair will no longer be allowed to race each other, but he has now gone as far as saying that they also now risk being dropped for a race as punishment if there are further problems.
This is a policy that Mercedes adopted last year after Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg collided at last year's Austrian Grand Prix.
When asked by Motorsport.com if Force India would go as far as benching one of the drivers, Szafnauer said: "Yes. If it happens again, we have to figure it out. We would have to start thinking about who we would stick in the car."

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Egos they are a PITA!  Got to have one though for this kind of competition, but in F1 the driver's desire to beat a team mate really doesn't matter when it comes to earning money.  It's the team and constructor that determines the payout at the end of the season.  To accomplish a high finish you need two good drivers, which means two egos to deal with.  Sad too, cause they were both probably going to finish in the points. 

MiniDave

Monza is not supposed to favor the boys in red jammies, and it hasn't this weekend for sure!

The Hamster is on pole, but rain can be the great equalizer - and Lance Stroll is showing how that can work - he'll be starting next to Hammy on the front row tomorrow - not because he was second in Q3 - he was actually 4th - but it's impressive that he's that far up the grid to me. MadMax and Ricky Racer were 2nd and 3rd, but because of grid spot penalties they'll be starting further back, in fact Danny Ricky Bobby will be starting from the back!

So it could be an interesting race - not for the lead unless it rains again - but further back as the kid tries to keep up with the Haminator and the Ruby Rods try to charge back to the front.

Force India has decided to keep their drivers apart with Ocon starting in 5th and Checko far back in 11th - lets hope they stay a few spots apart cause if they come together again I think someone will be looking for a new seat.

Vanstoffeldorne in 10th quallied a bit better than Alonslo in 13th., and Big Mac was seen huddled up with Renault again this weekend. I still say Alonso should be in the yellow car next year as the best chance he has of fighting for wins, let alone his last championship effort. Where else would he go? Maybe if they sign Renault as an engine supplier he'll stay with Mac and Cheese?

I expect to see  a few of the old boys shuffle off to other series next year, Massa for sure, Pylon Palmer, Kvyiat all going to make room for some more teenagers. The two Sauber drivers could get axed just so Ferrari can start racing some of their junior drivers much like Toro Rosso does for Reds Bull. Bottas is the big question mark - Mercedes wouldn't want to lose him but if they could get MadMax I think they would make the change - as much for the sponsorship he brings as the number of fans that show up in orange to root him on and support him. Everyone says that will never happen, that he's contracted for 2 more years and so on - which means it's probably already a done deal!   ;D

Gene Haas gave an interview wherein he said he didn't see anyway in the world to bridge the gap in performance between the "big Three" and the rest of the field, saying further that there should at least be an outside chance of one of the other teams taking a win each weekend, but that he didn't see how that could happen under the current rules, or even if changing the rules could effect that. Lastly, he said that while they were committed to F1, if he cant win a race - why are they there? (meaning all the other 7 teams)

So - if it rains - it could be an interesting race. If it doesn't it will be a Hamster parade and the championship lead will change hands again....which it probably will do anyway.

One of my and Bruce's friends from another forum is there in Monza, riding his golden ticket - I'll post up a few of the pics he's shared so far......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I thought tacking on an extra hour to the 90 minutes I set my DVR for would cover any rain delay for Qualifying.  But nope. I missed the whole thing. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Yeah, I saw all the rain delays in glorious color with full commentary - but no actual qualifying........

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Thankfully the race wasn't rained out.  But yea, no one had anything for the AMG's.  Ricky Bobby did put on a show and was catching Vettel at the end.   71.gif