Formula 1 - 2017 Season

Started by BruceK, March 24, 2017, 09:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPlayle

I just realized: the picture of the car on its side that Jim posted a few days back reminds me of the the bottom of slot cars.

BruceK

Well, they corner like slot cars!
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Hamilton really drove the wheels off his car to put it on pole, I think the race tomorrow will be down to a good start, tires, and brakes. Last year the recedes had brake issues but the Hamster still managed to hang on for the win. this year the /Ferrari is much closer in performance, so if he starts having brake issues Vettel will be there.

Speaking of the Hamster, did you all see what happened to Richard Hammond today? Terrible crash, but he 's not too badly hurt according to Clarkson.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

The Hamster drove away from the field, but you do wonder what would have happened if Verstappen hadn't made his banzai move into turn one?

No matter, it was fun watching Vettel charge thru the field from the back much like the Hamster has done in other races but he just couldn't get to Ricciardo for the podium.

The Mercedes/Ferrari battle carries on.......

Alonso falls out of the points with two laps to go when his engine fails. I think given the performance improvement of Renault, if Alonso doesn't go to Indycars, he'll be in a Renault - maybe even before the season is over.

Has there ever been a Renault powered McLaren?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Interesting race. Loved Max's bold move, and later on the one Vettel made.

I was watching post race coverage and noticed that the champagne bottles seem to be made out of carbon fiber!!!  :-\

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

jedduh01

Record pit Stop 2.17 Seconds

MiniDave

That was interesting to see those two guys whose only job is to hold the car steady.....  ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

My dreams of watching a race in Dublin were smashed, Ireland was playing Portugal in Football that evening, no one was showing the race.

Glad Seb was able to grab as many points as he did, was afraid he was going to take a huge hit.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

pbraun

Will continue to be a good season.  Seb will win.
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified
66 Jaguar XJ13 ( I can wish )

MiniDave

Wow.......Baku was.......interesting!

One thing I took away from it was that when Hammy was behind Seb, he could not pass him, and in fact dropped back a bit. So much so that he was asking the team to slow Bottas down so he would back Seb into him and give him a run at Seb - which Bottas did not do, and to his own benefit instead of as the Hamster wanted him to do , the right decision in my book. That Hammy would even ask that of the team was pretty indicative of his self important attitude.....Had they done that and Hammy passed Vettel the Mercs would have come 3-4 for 27 points. By finishing 2-5, they got 28 pts. and Bottas title chase improves considerably, while Hammys  doesn't  take that big of a hit. But what it really shows is that to win an F1 race you either need to start on pole, or have something happen to the leaders.......there doesn't seem to be any other way - straight racing doesn't make it happen anymore.

Interesting interview with Seb after the race, where it looks like he deliberately ran into the side of Ham, although the video doesn't really show that exactly, but it's hard not to reach that conclusion based on what we could see.

Good run for a number of teams, not the least Williams, with Lance Stroll getting his first podium.

This was not a HP track, so some of the slower cars really got to spend some time in the limelight.....like Alonso getting his first points of the season, and finally finishing a race!

Force India continues to impress, and if they can get their drivers under control, may finish this year's constructors championship even higher than last - pretty damn good for a small low funded team, and clearly the best of the mid field pack, knocking hard on the door of the front runners too.

Poor Verstappen, I think he could have easily won this race, but his car failed once again. I'm wondering which team he's headed to at the end of the season?

This year's silly season could be legendary, with so many "older" drivers now and a good crop of youngsters coming thru......I'm thinking Kvyat is done, Kimi is done, Palmer will go as will Massa......a number of seats will be opening up.

Mercedes is well in front in the Constructor's championship, Ferrari has to start getting both cars to the finish.......and in the points.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I'd like to see the telemetry on whether Hamilton hit his brake for a brake check or just didn't accelerate as Vettle expected.  I strongly suspect the former.   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I'm hearing Hamster did not brake check Vettel, just let off in a low gear - same effect tho.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on June 25, 2017, 12:39:15 PM
I'm hearing Hamster did not brake check Vettel, just let off in a low gear - same effect tho.
Downshifting exiting a corner?! 

And he was so damn sanctimonious in the NBC interview fretting about Seb's dangerous driving and only a 10 second penalty.   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Yeah, he is not my favorite driver......but he sure showed everybody how-to in Qually.

Seb did his best to avoid Buxton's direct questions in the interview too....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Being of NASCAR upbringing I was expecting some helmet throws or something during the red flag.   20.gif  Thanks to everyone gifting my driver #3 a win, glad his strategy and staying clean worked out.  Course that was a pretty ballsy move on the 2 Williams into turn 1 on that restart!! 

Stroll will now learn how to drive with his mirrors after this finish.  Good to see a young guy get confidence and use it on the track.

Agree with Dave though, still can't really pass and need calamity for it to be more than a parade.  So get to rubbin fellas!! 71.gif

As for Ham and Seb, he did seem to slow coming out of the corner.  But even in normal driving as the follower you are responsible for not hitting the guy in front.  Doesn't always makes sense, but it's how it is.  Seb has become the grumpy old guy.  Last year it was the blue flags and people hitting him, now this.  He's gotten annoying, where Alonso dogging on the Honda power is straight comedy gold!

2 weeks is a long time to wait!!!   
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Allow me to just leave this here......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Is that when Seb hit Ham?  Looks like the brake is on.  Of course to play the other side, looks like the safety car ahead and Ham was being told to stay back from it.

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

Brake and 1st gear.   Speed down to 32mph.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

The point of the graphic is that he lied.......so did the team.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Probably the one thing that still bugs me about F1.  All the political and shadyness.  If you brake checked a corner man up to it.  If you're flaming pissed at some one, express it.  Guess it's that NASCAR raising coming through again.

gr8kornholio

Of course they were still discussing the Ham/Vettle incident today.  But watching the video again, I'm not so sure Vettle meant to bang into him, but in waving his fist in the air with one hand on the wheel it just happened.  Either way it's still not acceptable. 

Race was a bit of a snoozer through the middle, but at the end the 2 chasers Vettle on Bottas and Ham on Ric got a little interesting.  A few more laps and multiple podium spots could have changed.

Congrats to my man Ric on holding off the Ham and scoring his 5th podium.  Hoping they can get Max's issues sorted or the constructor race will get difficult for red bull.  Also a thanks to Ric, I have my roof decal for when my mini is redone.

MiniDave

What, a race shoe leaking champagne?   ;D

Yep, like almost every F1 race for the last 20 years, the leader at the first corner drives off into the sunset. I don't think Vettel could have passed Bottas with one more lap or a dozen......Bottas got one HELL of a start - good for him!

It's interesting seeing the Hamster struggle when he's not in front.....just like everyone else.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I watched the onboard shot from Bottas' car, slo-mo frame by frame on my DVR, and he definitely jumped the start.   It wasn't much, maybe only a couple inches of forward movement, but his car was absolutely rolling forward and the lights had not yet gone off.   Now if I can do that with my home video equipment why can't Charlie Whiting and the race stewards figure that out?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Yep, I've said it for years......all these races are fixed!   ::) ;D

Got to hand it to HAAS, 6th was a strong finish for them today......now they just need to get both cars in the points. And Grosjean didn't complain about his brakes even once......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

That's pretty cool Bruce.  But it's just like the pic posted of Ham with the brake on when Vettle hit him, but this week they said there was telemetry proof that he didn't.

Still my big dislike of F1