Eye didn’t see this coming

Started by BruceK, December 07, 2017, 07:58:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

I had some problems with one of my eyes - seeing flashes of light from time to time.  I visited a doctor on Monday who said everything was fine — but I decided to get a second opinion because I doubted that.   So I saw a second doctor on Tuesday for a second opinion.  I'm glad I did.  He diagnosed me as having a partially detached retina and immediately scheduled me for eye surgery next day.   No idea how my retina got detached.   The eye surgery was yesterday and it went well.  The doctor removed all the fluid from my right eye, used a laser to help reattach the retina, and then filled my eyeball up with gas, which is temporary.    Over time the gas will be naturally dissipate as my eye heals and generates its own natural liquid to fill the eye back to normal.   In the meantime there are restrictions such as no airplane travel and no going to the mountains - anything that could affect the pressure differential inside my eye and out of it.  Right now I've got a big patch on my right eye and I'm learning how much I took having good depth perception for granted -  with only one eye working now I'm reaching out trying to grab things that  aren't really where I think they are.   

Lesson learned for me: definitely worth it to get a second opinion
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Whew......glad you got the second opinion.

You just don't realize how important our parts are to us till they don't work any more.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Wow that sounds miserable! Heal up soon.

MiniGene

Good call on the second opinion!  Take care of yourself!

gr8kornholio

Glad you got the second opinion.  Cause diagnosing something as fine when you have a known issue is sketchy.  If you need anything let me know.

How much ARGH Maties have you been doing?  Don't lie.  LOL.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

Quote from: gr8kornholio on December 07, 2017, 02:16:48 PM

I've been parrot shopping, Does that count?  ;D
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Willie_B

Must have been caused by the fast stop on the freeway after that incident when your mini acted up.

BruceK

Yeah.  I should have acted sooner - this was going on for a month or more before I saw the first doctor.   So, beside the lesson I learned on getting a second opinion, I've also realized I can't procrastinate for health issues.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Rose found the lump in Nov but wanted to wait till after the holidays, she went in to see the doc in late Feb, almost cost her her life.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Quote from: BruceK on December 07, 2017, 02:18:41 PM
Quote from: gr8kornholio on December 07, 2017, 02:16:48 PM

I've been parrot shopping, Does that count?  ;D

Sorry, I am a messed up human. NSFW Link due to textual content.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=One-eyed%20Angry%20Pirate
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MPlayle

We've missed you the last few weeks Jim.

BruceK

I had a follow up visit to the doctor this afternoon and I'm very happy (and relieved) to report that my eyesight is returning to my right eye.   He said I should be back to normal in a week or two.  Whew!
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Quote from: BruceK on December 14, 2017, 05:35:37 PM
I had a follow up visit to the doctor this afternoon and I'm very happy (and relieved) to report that my eyesight is returning to my right eye.   He said I should be back to normal in a week or two.  Whew!

I guess I am happy, I have to admit, I am a little disappointed, I really think this forum needs at least one member with an eye patch and yells Arrrree!! in every post.

Congrats on the successful healing on thy eye.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson