Minis in the movies (and on TV too)

Started by BruceK, March 11, 2017, 02:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

I'm starting this thread to feature Minis when they appear in a movie or TV show.    I enjoy seeing my favorite car on the big screen, and I thought some of you guys might too.

Here's a couple of shots from the James Bond film, "On Her Majesty's Secret Service".

Bond, and his wife-to-be, are escaping the bad guys in a Mercury Cougar running through the Swiss mountains at night.  They spot a nighttime stock car race and drive onto the racetrack to mix things up, encountering several race Minis.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

BruceK

Here's some shots from the classic movie farce, "A Shot in the Dark", featuring Mini-fanatic Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau.  It was also directed by Blake Edwards who loved Minis too. 

Both Sellers and Edwards owned copies of this movie car, modified by Radford with hand-painted wickerwork sides (don't ask me why this was "a thing"). 

The Minis also had rollup window doors (with power windows!) and other custom coachbuilt touches.  (note the little red light visible in the shot of the open door)

You can see the removed the windshield for portions of the movie filmed on a soundstage to avoid reflections from the lights.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

ADRay

1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

Vikram

BruceK

Spotted this when channel surfing - a 1996 Mini Cooper on Dr. Who.   

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

I have to admit when I watch older movies, especially now that most can now be viewed in HD, I scan the background for interesting cars.    We all know the Mini was sold new here in the US from end of 1959 until the start of 1968, by how often do they appear "in the wild" in American movies or that time?   Virtually never.  In fact, until now I've never seen a Mini in the background of a US movie.  But I found a movie that has one.  It's a 1963 movie called "Sunday in New York" with Rod Taylor and Jane Fonda and parts of it were filmed on location.  And a Mini on the streets of the Big Apple makes a brief appearance.  It's an 850 that looks a little worse for wear with a missing front overrider and crooked license plate.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I love seeing those early Minis with their white wall tires and 10" of ground clearance!  77.gif
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

That was brief!  But looked like a nice Mini.  Well, it was before 20+ people squeezed in.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

LarryLebel

BruceK

Wow.  All that for a half second of air time?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

I was just flipping through the channels tonight when I suddenly spotted a Moke.  It's a movie called "Having a Wild Weekend" from 1965 starring the Dave Clark Five.   

Since it is unlikely to be a good movie, I will probably record it just so I can FF though it later just to watch for interesting cars.   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Check out the extra spot lights on top of the fenders!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on June 14, 2017, 04:34:17 PM
I was just flipping through the channels tonight when I suddenly spotted a Moke.  It's a movie called "Having a Wild Weekend" from 1965 starring the Dave Clark Five.   

Since it is unlikely to be a good movie, I will probably record it just so I can FF though it later just to watch for interesting cars.

Actually, the last half hour of that movie has the Moke in every shot - there's an extended chase sequence that also involves the a Mini, an Austin 1100, and the police driving a big (for 1960s UK) Ford police car.  The Moke drives through snow and also hits the beach too.

Changing channels, sometimes on the International House Hunters show a Mini will pop up.   This one appeared on the show about a coupe looking for housing in central France - their  daily driver is a Mini.   It's interesting to see the retrofit chrome grille with the black grille surround. 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

A completely beat up Mini 850 Mk. I with no rear side windows and no back window played a role in the very 1980s movie "Some Kind of Wonderful".   

It had a sliver speedo from a very early car, but because it was RHD, had a fabric sunroof, and had some sort of aftermarket roll up window doors, it looks to have been a privately imported Mini rather than a US spec model.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I don't remember that movie.......I have seen those windows tho, I think they were an aftermarket conversion for the sliders.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Totally lucky day.  I've been trying forever to catch the original italian job on TV, hopefully a movie channel.  Turned tv on tonight, checked velocity channel, and it was an older wheeler dealers doing a honda cvcc.  Then flipped to the few movie channels I still get and low and behold the original is starting at that exact minute.  Record is on, looking forward to watching it.   4.gif
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

Quote from: gr8kornholio on August 21, 2017, 06:07:27 PM
Totally lucky day.  I've been trying forever to catch the original italian job on TV, hopefully a movie channel.  Turned tv on tonight, checked velocity channel, and it was an older wheeler dealers doing a honda cvcc.  Then flipped to the few movie channels I still get and low and behold the original is starting at that exact minute.  Record is on, looking forward to watching it.   4.gif

I think you are going to like it.  The best way to see it is in HD and widescreen format be cause a lot of little stuff happens on the edges of the screen. Hope you get to see it that way.   If not, I might have a DVD of it to lend you.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Ok, seriously, that's how it ends.  Really.  What a cliffhanger!!! 50.gif
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

Haha.  Yup.  There was talk about a sequel that would resolve the story of whether the gold was lost or not, but a second movie never materialized.   

Also, there's a very weird deleted scene from the Italian Job that not too many people know about. It's too surreal for the story, but it's visually interesting.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Here's a documentary about the making of the movie, called "It's all about the Mini Coopers".

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Another Mini in an old James Bond movie - this time it's a Moke in the background - one of several - at the rocket base in "You Only Live Twice".   I used to own a Moke in the exact same color. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S