R/H gas tank

Started by gr8kornholio, March 07, 2017, 04:31:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gr8kornholio

Looking for a right hand gas tank.  Wont be used as a gas tank, so rusted or has holes or dented is ok.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

Quote from: gr8kornholio on March 07, 2017, 04:31:58 PM
Wont be used as a gas tank, so rusted or has holes or dented is ok.

Okay, I'll bite.   Secret smuggling compartment?    Toolbox? 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

gr8kornholio

Nope, I'm a music nut, and really miss tunes when I'm in the mini.  Want to make it a sub box.  I've seen people try and make fiberglass molds and such, but I hate working with fiberglass. 

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

gr8kornholio

I'm guessing these are fairly rare, did they only come on dual tank cars?

94touring

Hard to find and usually pretty pricey for a sub box.  Myself I have an amp under my seat and two 6x9's under the rear bench and two 4" speakers on the dash. The 6x9s already had the wood cut for them when I bought the car, but sound pretty good on the low pass range from the amp. Otherwise I'd suggest a slim/compact subwoofer that has the amp built in. I have an 8 inch low profile sub/amp in my rx7 and it pumps some serious base. Would fit perfectly under your seat.

gr8kornholio

Yea, I figured they might be.  I have a 10" shallow sub behind the seat of my reg cab 85 toyota pickup.  May just have to bite it and do a fiberglass form to the right side to save as much boot space.  I have considered seeing what I could fit under the seat area.  Spare tire well is another consideration, but then running around without a spare. 

MiniDave

Interesting idea, why not just build a tank shaped enclosure? If you want to complete the illusion, they sell "fake" right side gas filers
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

That's the back up plan.  Was hoping the r/h tank was used more than just on a cooper s, but in my digging I'm thinking it wasn't. 

BruceK

It was only an option on the Cooper S.    But there were (and are) non-OEM right hand gas tanks out there. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

If you look around you might find an old rusty R/H tank, but they're spendy enough that it's worth it to just fix it.

£277 plus shipping from the UK for  a new one..... http://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/Body/Panel/Fuel_Tanks/21A2183.aspx?030708&ReturnUrl=/search/classic/right hand tank.aspx|Back to search

If you  build an enclosure and just want the "look", you can buy this for only $25 plus the cap....

https://www.minimania.com/part/MSA1126/Austin-Mini-Twin-Gas-Fuel-Tank-look-Filler-Neck
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

There used to be an outfit in Australia making fiberglass replica right hand tanks for a bit less than the steel ones.

gr8kornholio

Not to worried about the look of dual tanks, just figured it'd be most efficient use of space on that side. 

I'll search around the Australian sites and see what pops up.  I need to order my wing window seals from over there too.