My 65 Australian MKI

Started by gr8kornholio, February 11, 2017, 07:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

gr8kornholio

Thanks Dan. Lol. Yea got the subs on, motor in, doors, boot and hood buttoned down.  Even did an alignment on it.  Another big thanks to Dan for all his help.  I didn't take any pics, didn't realize Dan was.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

We got a lot done.  Flared some brake lines and got a couple rusty minis moved back into the side garage too.  Rear boot rubber needs time to settle in and the bonnet fitment was probably the worst of it.

BruceK

Take pics!  Later on you'll want to show off it was a bare metal rebuild.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Once you get it running again, there will be tons of little fettling to do, but once it's drivable it becomes more fun every day!  77.gif
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

I have lots of pics. Just didn't take any over the two days.  Will definitely be taking more as I get things done.

That's the plan is to get it running.  Gonna go through it an put together a list of needs and then get to it.  Just doing what we did this weekend found more pieces that need replaced, painted or powder coated.  Spring is the goal.

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

gr8kornholio

And then the REAL fun begins. Lol.

MiniDave

Can't wait to see it with trim and such on it!

Mark, are you using the same interior or something else?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

It'll be all black except some inserts on the seats.  Still using the cobra buckets.

G67mcs

The body shell turned out great. Really like the Fiesta!

Fun begins but you are way ahead already with the engine installed.

Garry
1967 MK2 S
2003 Mini Cooper S
2016 4Runner

gr8kornholio

Yea, I keep telling myself I started with a fully functioning car, so I should be able to get it back there.

gr8kornholio

Of course I'm finding out functional doesn't always mean right.  Looking through my books and discover the door handle spring is the first thing in the stack unlike it was when I took it apart and currently have it.  Sure I'm going to have a lot of this.

gr8kornholio

Love having a hardware store that carries all these unusual thread size screws.  Just got all new for the door handles, catches and nylon buffers. Also for boot latch and license plate holder.  Be nice if the one they opened here in Allen had all the same stuff the big store does in Plano.  But either way it's better than paying 1.50 per from Europe or Australia.   

Do have to get the nylon things from Australia but working up a list for everything from there.

MiniDave

New fasteners make all the difference in putting one of these back together - at the very least if I reuse fasteners I run them all on the wire brush on the bench grinder so I have good clean threads.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: gr8kornholio on September 21, 2020, 09:50:54 AM
Love having a hardware store that carries all these unusual thread size screws.  Just got all new for the door handles, catches and nylon buffers. Also for boot latch and license plate holder.  Be nice if the one they opened here in Allen had all the same stuff the big store does in Plano.  But either way it's better than paying 1.50 per from Europe or Australia.   

Do have to get the nylon things from Australia but working up a list for everything from there.

You talking about Elliott's Hardware?   

That's one thing I really miss about Dallas.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I've found nuts and bolts to be way less expensive at Home Depot than Ace hardware, but I still maintain a large selection in my bins from Bolt Depot, all grade 8 stuff as it costs less than grade 5

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tsumini

Quote from: gr8kornholio on September 21, 2020, 09:50:54 AM

Is Elliots Hardware in Dallas still open. I think they have more hardware than has ever been invented... well almost. They were the goto when I lived in Frisco/ Dallas

gr8kornholio

Yes Elliots.  I go to the one in west Plano.  They opened one in Allen, but it's only got a fraction of the stuff.  Our Home Depot/Lowe's doesn't carry the fine thread sae sizes.  Elliots has them in stainless, zinc, chrome, black chrome, and several others including polymer. Some times it's a curse though trying to find the needle in the haystack.

BruceK

Quote from: gr8kornholio on September 21, 2020, 05:04:38 PM
Yes Elliots.  I go to the one in west Plano.  They opened one in Allen, but it's only got a fraction of the stuff.  Our Home Depot/Lowe's doesn't carry the fine thread sae sizes.  Elliots has them in stainless, zinc, chrome, black chrome, and several others including polymer. Some times it's a curse though trying to find the needle in the haystack.

Yeah, I would estimate that Elliott's carries about 10 times the number and types of fasteners compared to a typical HD or Lowe's.   Ask one of the many old guys for help.  They know their stuff there. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

I was going to change timing chain and front cover but don't have the right size socket/wrench. Thanks to Dave for the size.  Did notice the pulley is loose. I can move it around without it moving the crank bolt.

So I cleaned up the wiper motor and painted the housing.  Replacing the wiper boxes also. Took some figuring to get the old ones off.  The new ones have play built in so they go on easy. 

While waiting for the wiper motor to try I got the main front harness shoved through the tiny space it goes through above the cone pocket.  Speaking of wiring, any tips on making sure the little Lucas connectors are fully seated and tight? 

MiniDave

Yes. Take an old pair of slip joint pliers and cut a notch in the ends big enough for the wires to fit into - then just squeeze the ends together - they will pop into place perfectly. I sent you pics of mine

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I got frustrated trying to get them to pop into place using my thumbs or needle nose pliers - this works a treat and cost nothing to make.  77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad