My 65 Australian MKI

Started by gr8kornholio, February 11, 2017, 07:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gr8kornholio

4.gif. Me too Dave, and it will all match.  No more red and silver with black on maroon. Like seriously. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

Great job Dan.  Looks super!   Can't wait to see further progress on this baby.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

Barely any color sanding to do.  Hit it with some 3000 grit was about it.  The bonnet is to keep splatter out of the engine bay.

Willie_B

That is going to look really sweet when all done.

94touring

Might try and run the harness and get the headliner in tomorrow while the doors, bonnet, and boot are prepping.  Buffing is complete.

MiniDave

Wow, Mark....are you ready to get your car back home and start building it back up?   4.gif
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

Por-15.  Note to self, wear long sleeves and a hair covering next time.

Willie_B

This is why I have several garage sweatshirts and ballcaps. Can be worn for really messy work and tossed if needed when done.

Coming along nicely.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Por-15 gloss chassis paint.  Tough stuff.

Ok headliner done. 

gr8kornholio

MiniDave

I think that turned out better than any you've done so far!   (headliner, I mean)  4.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: 94touring on June 17, 2020, 01:13:19 PM
Por-15 gloss chassis paint.  Tough stuff.

Tough indeed. In my experience if you get Por-15 on your skin, it has to wear off as you grow new layers of skin beneath the paint.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Old wives tale, it comes right off with lacquer thinner...ask me how I know!  77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I'll try a thinner bath tomorrow then. 

Got the rubber all on and will get the glass in tomorrow.  Have to lower the shell back on a dolly once this por15 dries so I can wheel it out of the booth and knock out the rest of the items that need painted. 

MiniDave

Well., I don't know about how well it comes off after it's dried overnight!    8.gif

But if you wipe it off with thinner shortly after it went on, I know it comes right off then.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

G67mcs

Once POR-15 dries, not sure it will come off too easily. So far even brush I've used has hardened up overnight and I've tossed them afterwards.

Any reason the fiesta yellow wasn't left on bottom of floor pan?  Just asking since I'm sanding and coating surface rust on my floor in prep to coat with POR-15. I used the grey color inside the car and have some chassis black for the subframes.

Thanks,
Garry

1967 MK2 S
2003 Mini Cooper S
2016 4Runner

94touring

The floors were mostly solid but a bit rough and we decided to coat them for rust protection since carpet is covering them anyways.

94touring

gr8kornholio

Look at that pretty paint on the home page. Course teased Dan that's what crashed the site.  The moke picture reminds me of short circuit 2 after he's been all beat up with one eye hanging out.  Sorry, can't find a pic.

94touring

It's been a sanding extravaganza.  On the home stretch.

gr8kornholio

Got a box of MED goodies coming. It's FedEx so be curious to see shipping time compared to DHL.

94touring

Got the back side of the doors almost ready for paint.  Sanding my fingers to nubs.

gr8kornholio

Joys of the mini.  You see both sides of almost every panel.