My 65 Australian MKI

Started by gr8kornholio, February 11, 2017, 07:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gr8kornholio

Yea, I look forward to playing with the motor once it's all back together. 

Just put in my interior order from Newton Commercial.  Brexit vote coming up on Jan. 15th and people are forcasting the pound to rise compared to the dollar. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

I haven't posted any updates in here in some time.  The metal work has been done and body prep underway.  A couple weeks ago ordered fiesta yellow from tcp globals auto color library to compare to the test fiesta yellow Mark had.  The auto color library is about the only source I know that has old formulas to be able to mix an exact match.  Did a side by side comparison and it's pretty close.  Had my paint supplier mix up half a gallon in the material I like to use and bought other shop supplies I've been short on.  Won't be long before it's got color on it.  Roof is going to be pepper white. 

BruceK

Cool!   Going to be exciting to see it come together. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

Sanding and sanding and more sanding.  Still some minor low spots and a few dings to attend to.

gr8kornholio

It all shows up in the sanding.  Nice that you can bag up the room so no more dust all over everything else.  Brings back nightmares of the tile removal in the house earlier this year. 

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

Yesterday was a day of shop cleanup.  Still dust and crap everywhere from just general shop work.  Can't imagine not having the plastic walls lowered and a fan exhausting the dust outside.

MiniDave

Can't help the dust when you have a body shop....all you can do is manage it.

Can't wait to see some color going on.  4.gif
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Won't be long now.  Calling it a day while some skim coat dries. 

gr8kornholio

94touring

Should get that clear on today.  Have one tiniest of runs hidden low along the gutter corner to knock down and one spot of sanding marks that showed up to quickly go over.  May not even notice them once clear is on but not worth the risk.  Then mask off the roof and focus on interior prep.  Body is 97.3% done.  I have to sand it down one last time with the final grit and need to seam seal a few spots. 

This is what I started with yesterday.  Little putty here and there for pin holes and the ever so slight low spot.

MiniDave

I love it when the color starts to go on, the car starts to come back to life!  77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Really went down smooth.  Just the standard few dust nubs.  Zero orange peel.  Pretty much perfect as is.  Some different light to illustrate.

gr8kornholio

You beat me to the post of the pic.  That reflection is awesome.  I'm gonna have to lie when I start taking this around to shows or you're going to be flooded with requests. 

94touring

Been prepping the interior.  Got the dash rail dents gone.  Needs another vacuum and ready for some primer.  Roof is masked off.

94touring

Went back and fixed up a section that had been bothering me.  The slam panel on this side had been badly mangled at some point in the car's life, and then hidden with filler.  I did the best I could to get it mostly straight but it still required a lot of filler, plus the lip on the engine bay side had jagged sharp edges.  Found a knockoff panel which I was hoping came with the seam, but it didn't which was fine, aside from it was tricky separating the two.  I really needed a scrap front end to steal the section from but I didn't have one available.  Turned out good nonetheless.  A dab of filler to smooth out ground down welds and won't even notice.

gr8kornholio

77.gif. This is why Dan is awesome. Any other person/shop would've just filled it back in and left it.

94touring

Interior prep moving along.  Have some more sanding on the visible panels to do then it's ready.

94touring

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

G67mcs

1967 MK2 S
2003 Mini Cooper S
2016 4Runner

gr8kornholio

It's gonna pop with the black and houndstooth interior.  4.gif

94touring

Finally got the shell painted.  I will say it came out damn nice.

MiniDave

I like it!

So much better than the color it was......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad