My 65 Australian MKI

Started by gr8kornholio, February 11, 2017, 07:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willie_B

Yes.  PM me your address and I will send one out in the morning.

gr8kornholio

I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

gr8kornholio

Well built up the front subframe today. Had to do the upper arm twice, bad diagram in the book. Should've known that little wing was for the bumpstop.  Had to do the lower arms twice. Looked the same, but went to fit the hub assembly and nope, won't go in. Flip it over and dang it  50.gif. Lots of new shiny parts. Anyone see anything out of place please point it out. 

Main question was is the no washer or like that goes between the lower arm bush and the subframe?  I don't see one on my old ones and it seems to fit right.

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

gr8kornholio

Forgot to mention I put the hub on upside down too.  Guess after switching the lower arms I completely failed to pay attention that the caliper bolts go towards the front.  I was going to have some wicked camber.

Random thought revelation this morning too.  I figured out where the missing steering arm pin/barrel might be.  Stuck in the old hubs, yep, sure enough there it was.  This thing is going to take forever to put back together doing things twice. 

94touring

I think you're doing just fine.  The first time usually involves doing things twice. 

gr8kornholio

Thanks, I'm definitely going to have an intimate knowledge of these cars when I'm done.

Another question.  Anyone using shims or retaining springs on the 7.5" cooper disc brakes for the pads?  I'm pretty sure I got everything for the kit, but the pads were seperate so I'm going to go look.  They are the MINTEX pads.

gr8kornholio

Brake question. Does the hole in the switch assemble have to line up with the holes in the 2 way pipe connector?

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Willie_B

gr8kornholio

Totally forgot to post pick.

94touring

Nope, but use some new copper washers. 

gr8kornholio

Ok good, yep got those with the new braided line kit.  Which of course unknowingly I put on the wrong sides.  That's going to be par for course.  Now I know what the yellow band on the one was for.  Geez.

94touring

Mark sent up some fancy seat brackets and since it's getting a new x member, now was a good time to add captive nuts.

gr8kornholio

Looks good.  extra leg room for us leggy types.   71.gif

MiniDave

I have those, the only problem is the companion boxes on the sides stop the seats from going back as far as they can.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Disc brake dust shields.   Need them, don't need them?  Didn't get them because I didn't think about that I didn't have them and the disc conversion kit I referenced didn't have them.

MiniDave

I took mine off, haven't noticed any negative effects since.....I wouldn't worry about them.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

I dont run them on my 63.

My former other later model car had them = since they had some age = at one point the flimsy metal bracket broke
  From vibration fatigue and on a trip that let loose and the back plate rubbed itself on the rotor= They were annoying.

I THINK i hit a rainstorm once or hit a  heavy puddle once and had some extra water splash on the disk and felt the brakes take an extra moment to get their bite but not a worrysome thing.

gr8kornholio

Glad I forgot them.   77.gif

94touring

Toss the dust shields in the trash.

MiniDave

We seem to have a consensus!   ;D ;D ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

So.... I can start collecting disc brake shields and corner the market when you guys all change your minds and want to use them again?    ;D
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

Mark decided to source an Aussie floor pan, so out with the new and in with the new!  X member in place and needs some clamping toward the center before I can get carried away with welding

94touring

Quote from: BruceK on August 20, 2018, 01:52:36 PM
So.... I can start collecting disc brake shields and corner the market when you guys all change your minds and want to use them again?    ;D

There will be a new website in 50 years similar to BAT, but consist only of dust shields.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad