My 65 Australian MKI

Started by gr8kornholio, February 11, 2017, 07:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gr8kornholio

Yea I can see that.  Mine were intact, but were a little deformed at the ends.  So not surprised at the amount of grease in there.  Por 15 paint is on it's way.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

gr8kornholio

Finished the rear arm bearings and shaft replacements.  Reaming was an interesting exercise.  Second one of course went way easier.

Of course about the time I finished I threw something in the trash and heard a metallic clank. Turns out my thought to be deformed plastic sleeves were actually the metal ones.  Of course I find this after I've completed both arms.

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

gr8kornholio

Coat of por15 on the rear arms.

94touring

gr8kornholio

Anyone with an open dash mini or access to one, can you get me some measurements please?   

Height of opening
Depth near center at the top
Depth at top near the edge of the vent Slot for defroster.

Going to build a set up for my new toys.

gr8kornholio

Here is a pic with reference lines for where I'd like the measurements.  Need the Height of the opening at the 2 yellow arrows.  Then also the depth of the dash area at the 4 corners of the yellow arrows.  So both top depths and both bottom depths.

Thanks

BruceK

Or... you could just listen to the damn engine.   ;D

Seriously though, if you really want to hear tunes, you might consider mounting speakers in the gap under the rear seat.  That way they mostly hidden and don't dominate the looks of the interior by being modern in another wise old-school design aesthetic. 

Just my totally unsolicited opinion... ::)  But it's your ride, make the way you want it.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

gr8kornholio

Yea I'm a music nut.  If there is something I love more than cars it's music. And it has to be done right. That location is horrible for sound.  They will be removable so no permanent damage to the car. 

As much as I enjoy engine music that constant droning will drive me nuts.  Engine songs are only enjoyable with the revs going up and down.  I guess the best way to describe it is the way people that don't get cars.  That's how most people look at me when it comes to music. Or put it another way.  That Ferrari 430 scuderia I drove on the track.... yea I'd put a stereo in it.   :-X

94touring

I can get the dimensions when I get back to town.  I'd consider having them on the lower dash pointing up, but obviously all up tp you.  The rear in conjunction with the fronts on my mini sounded really good. 

gr8kornholio

Ive considered putting the 6.5s back there. Going to mock some stuff up and play with it.

jedduh01

By all means.. just to offer a different idea.. I prefer keeping the dash shelf open + un  cluttered. This is COMPLETELY your build.

But to get good sound youre totally correct . you do need something up front  and a rear to make it work "full" sounding

For my front setups  = I have found I very much like hanging speaker from under the front shelf.

my 63'    6.5 Pioneers -  Wood carpeted box.   = Plan to downsize to a 3.5 speaker set+ smaller box hanging.
  In the end they put out good sound + but boxes are a bit bulky.
     I also have 2 6 x 9's under the rear seat driven with an amp = but in all honesty it isnt ggreat sound back there = i always push more to front = let the rears fill some bass.

I had a 94'   =   
Front ==  3.5's in smaller boxes under the dash shelf
  rear = 6.5's   or mabye even 6's - in the rear parcel shef
     This was an absolute ROCKIN for sound.   Loved it
  I also added a 10" single sub in the boot ( square truck box)   Bumpin...

MiniDave

Doncha hit your foot on those every time you get in and out of the car?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

That's what I was wondering also.  If I put just the 3's and tweeters in the dash shelf.  Then put the 6.5s in the parcel shelf, since they will just be midbass drivers.  I will also have  a 10" sub in the boot. 

Did you isolate the backside of the 6's from the sub?  I had 2 12's in the trunk of my accord and they would distort the rear deck 6X9s like crazy.

94touring

Don't cut up your mint parcel shelf  :(

gr8kornholio

:D  Ummm. yea, you mean that swiss cheese piece of metal that already had 2 big holes in it, then we drilled several more so it'd have enough meat for the rotisserie?  I'll try not to damage it further.

At one point I thought about cutting holes in the rear side bins and flush mounting them in a little enclosure in there.  But that's permanent damage. 

gr8kornholio

Looking so much better. Nice.

94touring

Guess I've had the 66 rear parcel on my mind.  Oh...the rotisserie plates are still covering the shelf, so looks mint right now!

MiniDave

Those subframes look great, paint or powdercoat?

I'll be getting a pair of subframes for a Moke tomorrow freshly powdercoated to build.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

gr8kornholio

Dave got it with second guess. Powder coated.  $350 for blasted, pre baked to remove all impurities then coated.  Figured for that price it'd save me a weekend of work. Of course work offering OT really made it easier to pick.

gr8kornholio

So were these always made out of aluminum?  Figured they are original cause of the pre 76 shape.

MPlayle

I don't know, but that might explain why the subframe bolts freeze into them so badly.

gr8kornholio

Ok, so it looks like I've misplaced one of these inserts in the steering arms. Of course I didn't even know they came out until I was cleaning them up this evening.  Shot in the dark but does anyone have an extra one laying around?

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Yea figured they had them but since my big box of stuff showed up today it's a little late to add to my order