My 65 Australian MKI

Started by gr8kornholio, February 11, 2017, 07:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gr8kornholio

Yea I have the kits. That's how I was able to visualize your write up on the green mini post.

These aren't like a engine where after you bore it once you can't really do it again?  I ask cause I'd guess these aren't the originals. If they are they are in great shape after 53 years.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

I have to punch out the bearings, press in the new bearings, then ream the non roller bearing side for the pin to slide through.  Unless a bearing has spun, everything will be just fine.  $100 for the pair painted if you have the repair kits and have them de-scaled and all gunk removed.

gr8kornholio

Ok I get it. So the sleeve that's not on the arm yet is the piece that needs reamed.

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

Not sure I understand your lingo, but bearing that needs reamed is pressed in first. It's reamed.  Plastic sleave is fitted.  Roller bearings pressed in.  Then pin, big washer looking pieces, nuts, rubber collars are fitted.  It's greased via the zerk.  Presto it's like new!

gr8kornholio

Sorry I meant the bearing. It's the one piece in the kit that's loose.

Dave, do you or anyone else have drift recommendations?  I know the brass ones. Remember using one with Bruce doing his hub bearings. Going to need a long slender on to punch these out.

Dan I'll keep that in mind and if all else fails I'll clean them up and send them your way.

94touring

Can you take a photo of what's loose?

gr8kornholio

Here is the kit. The bearing, assuming the piece that needs reamed, is the only piece loose in the package.

94touring

Lol, yes, that is correct.  I was so confused  :D

94touring

I finally got some free time to wetblast.  Still a bit more to go but shouldn't take much more than half a day.  My arms had enough today.  Overall solid car.  Only have a few areas to deal with, primarily both floor pans and corners.  Random patch work and the valance needs replaced.  Didn't have tons of layers of paint either.  One layer on the body, one super thin layer inside, and two layers on the roof. Floor coating crap came up fairly easily, just lots of it.

gr8kornholio

Wow, interesting to see it right after, what a mess.  Looks like the roof decal pealed off in some pieces.  Glad it's in pretty decent shape and excited to see it cleaned up.

94touring

Your floor has no drain holes, which makes this interesting.  You'll be getting drain holes.  Maybe I weld them back up when I'm done  20.gif

94touring

Some acid treatment before I go.

gr8kornholio

Quote from: 94touring on May 11, 2018, 02:09:07 PM
Your floor has no drain holes, which makes this interesting.  You'll be getting drain holes.  Maybe I weld them back up when I'm done  20.gif

I remember you mentioning that when I was there.

94touring

First round of demo work done. 

BruceK

Flintstones!  Meet the Flintstones!   ;D
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

gr8kornholio

I was thinking more Jack Sparrow.  "Stop blowing holes in my SHIP!"(MINI that is)

Otherwise looking good, glad to see the garbage going out.  Yay, I seriously need to get to work on the subframes.

94touring

Less Flintstone/Sparrow. 

gr8kornholio

Used my eBay UK tool find to remove the rear arm bearings today.  Worked like a peach.  Put arm in vice. Insert tool. Hammer out bearings. Hopefully it works this smoothly putting them back in. And I do the included reamer correctly.

94touring

Sealer primer on, filler going on in about 30 minutes.

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Outside yes.  Looks good already. 

Inside not so much.  Turns out that 65-72 Australian cars have one and only unique floors.  They have a special tunnel in them for the hydro and fuel lines.  So I found one and am having it shipped expensively and somewhat slowly from Australia.  Yay unique cars.

Speaking of which, I may not have brought/left those up there.  Or did I?  They were 2 long narrow flimsy pieces of metal that go under the car and cover those channels.   

94touring

Those are here.  Wondered what they were.

gr8kornholio

That's good.  Yea they bolt to the underneath of the floor to cover those unique channels.

gr8kornholio

Well since 14 days Australian time is actually only 4 days my floor pan has arrived.  So I cleaned up my rear arms.  Omg at the grease inside.  Didn't realize the arm seams hollow and that cavity is huge.   Stripped with wire wheels and drill. Workout.

MPlayle

That is why the rear arms are supposed to have a sleeve over the hinge pin between the bushing and the bearing: to reduce the amount of grease required and keep it to the bearing and bushing.

Unfortunately, somewhere along the line, the sleeves were changed from metal to plastic and tend to burst easily.  When the plastic ones burst (or get left out entirely), it means trying to properly grease the arms ends up filling the whole cavity - using lots of grease.