My 65 Australian MKI

Started by gr8kornholio, February 11, 2017, 07:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPlayle

The folks at 7Ent have accommodated different shipping for me in the past.  You usually have to ask as their website quotes UPS only. 

BruceK

Quote from: gr8kornholio on January 09, 2018, 04:55:50 PM
Thanks Dave and I got all excited cause I still have my prize certificate.  Then I found it and it expired Dec 31st. 

The reason NOT to order from 7ent.  22.95 for the cable 14.50 for shipping.  SERIOUSLY it's 1 lb if that cable.

Guess I'll call and see what, if anything they can do.  Not getting my hopes up.

Seven is more than doubling the UK retail price of that choke cable (MiniSpare sells it for £7 = $9.50) AND they overcharge for shipping too?!

Companies really should wise up on crazy shipping charges.   Millions of shoppers are getting VERY used to the Amazon model with 'free' or low cost shipping combined with getting their order in 2 days or less.  That trend is spreading quickly for other online retailers and the old days of having a shipping dept as an additional profit center just can't be sustained.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

gr8kornholio

I called them up and they honored the certificate.  Of course he wan't to know why that cable cause it was going to be too long for the mini.  Will be nice to have it on the toyota. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

gr8kornholio

So the tear down has begun.  So far got everything out of the boot, with a few surprises.  And most of the interior removed. 

Question on the interior, what is the best way to remove the "glued down" panels?  Like over the rear wheel wells and the carpet around the fronts. 

Any tips on getting the door glass out?  I have roll up windows, even though they are a little different due to the vent windows.  I have a request for help on that in to a mini club in Australia.

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

Glued panels?  8.gif

I've never had my hands on those rare Aussie doors either.

gr8kornholio

I guess really the question is what won't the blaster remove?  If there is glue residue left over after I peel off the vinyl and carpet.

I'm attempting to get some help with the doors from some Aussie's I've met online.  Fingers crossed.

94touring

The blaster will cut trees in half, so glue shouldn't be a problem.

drmini

Someone above was complaining about choke cable prices and shipping charges from Seven. If one considers that US suppliers (to keep it in stock and ready to ship) have to order it from England, pay for it & shipping from England, pay import duties, rent a warehouse/office, and pay someone to take the order, the $22.95 is not much profit , all things considered. The same cable from Mini Sport USA is $24.95 and I'm pretty sure it would be dropshipped from England.  Not sure. Even still, have you paid for shipping small stuff out of England?  It certainly isn't cheap.  As far as the $14 something that Seven charges, they have to buy a box as well as pay someone to box it up to ship.  As an experiment take that one pound or less cable to the nearest UPS store and ask them for cost to pack and ship via UPS to Auburn California.  I bet it's comparable to what Seven charges. The best way to cut shipping costs is to buy quantities and the shipping costs average out to less per item.  I don't really have a dog in this fight, but I do know if we enthusiasts don't keep the US suppliers in business then we will be forced to rely on contacting and shipping from England.  Add some time and import duties on top of that and then tell me how it works for you when you desperately need that one small part ASAP.  Rant over.

94touring

Yeah I dunno Hugh.  I like 7 and order from them in a pinch or need something yesterday, though that's rare. Spares shipping is often times as quick or quicker than stateside on small orders ironically enough.  Here's a quote on a brake cable to show the difference.  I suspect there just isn't any money in mini parts.

BruceK

Quote from: 94touring on January 21, 2018, 10:36:16 AM
I suspect there just isn't any money in mini parts.

The fact that MiniSpares, MiniSport, Huddersfield Mini Spares, MiniMania, Seven, etc. continue to exist seems to disagree.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Quote from: 94touring on January 21, 2018, 09:43:59 AM

Sounds good.  With that power what's my chances of damaging the car?

Not finding any help out there about the doors so may just have to wing it.  YAY!

94touring

Quote from: BruceK on January 21, 2018, 04:13:14 PM
Quote from: 94touring on January 21, 2018, 10:36:16 AM
I suspect there just isn't any money in mini parts.

The fact that MiniSpares, MiniSport, Huddersfield Mini Spares, MiniMania, Seven, etc. continue to exist seems to disagree.

Stateside that is.  7 and mania offer other services which I would guess is how they make any real money.  Most of us know it's cheaper to buy overseas 999 times out of 1000.  They need parts on hand to run a shop.  Selling parts at marked up prices just comes with the territory since they pay almost identical to what any of us would.  Remember that I have imported crates of panels and was hooked into a supplier of mechanical parts at wholesale prices.  It was a waste of time except that I need the parts on hand for projects to both expedite the process and cut my parts overhead down by about 25%.  I'd have to sell a million a year in choke cables and that ain't happening.

94touring

Quote from: gr8kornholio on January 21, 2018, 04:26:31 PM
Quote from: 94touring on January 21, 2018, 09:43:59 AM

Sounds good.  With that power what's my chances of damaging the car?

Not finding any help out there about the doors so may just have to wing it.  YAY!

Flat panels you need to hold it 18 inches away and attack at an angle.  Otherwise you may as well kick the paint off with your boots. Anything interior wise you can be right up on it just fine.

gr8kornholio

Got some wonderful pics and information on the doors from minisport in Australia.  Yay! 

Latest progress pic.. Who you calling ugly?  ;D

gr8kornholio

Other than the instructions having the door side/which way to rotate the remote lock mechanism backwards that resulted in a slice to the hand I got one door completely dismantled.  Which you have to do to get the locking mechanism out.

MPlayle

Keep a good copy of those instructions.  Jims5543 may want a copy of them as his pickup also has the Australian doors.

gr8kornholio

Will do, already printed them out and tucked them safely into my big orange mini book.  Which has basic instructions, but no pictures.

gr8kornholio

Whew!  Got the front wiring completely out of the car.  Pulled the radiator/no drain plug fun.  Drained the master cylinders and removed, those cotter pins will be fun to get back in.  Pulled the exhaust and the main power wire running the car.  Thanks to Bruce for coming by to help. 

Think it's just about stripped down.  Probably going to pull the back side windows but thats about it.  No major surprises.  Will be interesting to see if anything pops up after blasting.

gr8kornholio

Pulled all the glass, thanks Dan for the removal tip.  Also pulled out the headliner and dome light.  Found out why the dome light didn't work, and it's amazing the car didn't burn to the ground.  Now it didn't work when I bought it but I never cared so I didn't investigate.  The headliner beams are color coded, but I also marked them front to back like 3 different ways.  Lol. 

Bruce, my roof does have padding on it, lol.  Also found lots more locations of original color. 

So, um, here's the dome light wiring, or should I say, what's left of it.  There was a burn mark in the headliner.  Have no idea how it didn't catch fire.

MiniDave

Yeah, they didn't bother to put a grommet in where the wire comes thru the metal, and that feed wire is always hot - it grounds thru the door switches.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Yea, I wonder how far it goes and if it damaged anything else.  It all works.

Dave, I think I cracked the neck on my radiator trying to get the cap off and Bruce mentioned an ebay radiator that you like.  Do you have a link?

BruceK

That wiring is scary.    Are you thinking of perhaps getting a fresh new wiring loom? 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

There are a bunch on Ebay, this is just one choice.....  https://www.ebay.com/itm/2Row-Aluminum-Radiator-Fit-For-59-97-Austin-Rover-Mini-Cooper-1275-Racing-/322647020520

You can buy just the rear harness, which will include these wires all the way forward to the firewall.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

I saw them on mini spares.  Think best idea since not sure what all may be damaged inside the loom?

MiniDave

Yea, either un-tape the entire loom and replace all the crispy wires, or simply buy the harness already done.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad