My 65 Australian MKI

Started by gr8kornholio, February 11, 2017, 07:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Shouldn't matter, they're too short and don't have enough mass, the only thing that would matter is if one is bent.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tsumini

Can you feel it thru the floor or gearshift?

gr8kornholio

Don't usually drive with my hand on the stick, but did notice it rattling yesterday.  Like it did before I replaced the old worn out plastic cup when I upgraded to the short shifter.  And yes, if you could "feel" it anywhere it was in the chassis and not the steering wheel.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

gr8kornholio

Update:  I pulled the dry subframe spacers out... finally, thankfully the shorter bolts went right back in the holes (this was not the case the first time).  The lower engine stay was a little loose, and feels a little rubbery at the block when disconnected form the subframe floor bolt.  Tightened the length adjuster nut and tried to tighten where it connects to the block, but at a point the nut would turn but not get any tighter.  Didn't see anything rotating either?  Odd?

May have found the main culprit.  Searched the UK forum and a guy had a similar issue.  Wheels balanced but above 55 had and out of balance type vibration.  Turns out his wheels were not centering.  My wheels have the shank lugnuts.  Where a shaft on the lug goes through the wheel as it threads onto the stud.  The shank shaft at least a couple mm smaller than the hole in the wheel.  So how do you center a wheel like this?  Can I get larger shanked lugs?  Or do I need to be looking for wheels too?

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

You definitely need the right lug nuts!

Either that or some wheels that used the cone shaped lug nuts instead of the shaft style..

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

There are a bunch of different size shank lugnuts. Measure the hole size and depth to know what you need. The last ones I needed came from Oz. Let us know what you need and I'm sure we can find some.

gr8kornholio

Best way to measure the hole?  My micrometer won't fit inside my little ass 10" wheel.  LOL!. 

I wonder how the previous owner had gotten away with this for however long he did.  It went to 90 smooth as glass when we were test driving it.

94touring

Do you have the tapered washer thingy?  I have a set of wheels that are the same style but have this washer piece that centers it up.

gr8kornholio

Yea, mine has that washer piece, but they are the other way around... I'll check the backs when I get home but I swear they have always been on like a cone, not a dish to center.  Or it's a load of  :-[ 11.gif 50.gif

MPlayle

The MiniLite wheels I recently sold to Willie-B had similar lugnuts with washers.  As I recall, the washers were flat on one side and tapered on the other where the ones Dan showed are dished one side and tapered the other.  The tapered goes toward the wheel to center up the wheel as Dan says. 

Hopefully it is as simple as flipping the washers.

gasmini

Quote from: gr8kornholio on August 14, 2017, 08:09:31 PM
Best way to measure the hole?  My micrometer won't fit inside my little ass 10" wheel.  LOL!. 

I wonder how the previous owner had gotten away with this for however long he did.  It went to 90 smooth as glass when we were test driving it.
Use hole gages to put in hole and check with micrometer. If you don't have those use a pair of calipers.

He trailered it if it was out of town.

gr8kornholio

I know he trailered it out of town, but during the test drive we easily hit  90.  Also after getting down here to TX I took it on a back road run and had no issues up to 70. 
I'm guessing this all started when I took the wheels  off.  Anxious to get home and see which way the washers are on the back wheels since I haven't touched them.  I'm going to feel like a real idiot if I got them turned around on the fronts and caused myself all these headaches.  Learning sucks sometimes.

gr8kornholio

Ok, so at least now I know I'm not crazy and flipped all the washers.  Here is a pic of the rear wheel, which I haven't touched since I bought the car.  I'll flip all the washers around and see what that does.  I'll take a pic of the wheels too when they are off and you can see the indentation in the wheel from the washer in this orientation.

gr8kornholio

Pic of me and my mini me replacing the coupler.  Thanks to my wife for sneaking this on my phone.

Not sure why it's upside down.  It's an attachment.  O well, rotate your tablet.   ;D

gr8kornholio

Ok, flipping the washers wont cut it.  they are dished on the inside at an angle.  Also the lugs wont fit in them and the small end doesn't fit in the hole in the wheel.

From my testing, tried deep sockets till one fit the hole almost perfectly, I need something that doesn't exist.  Shank diameter is 0.665 in, but after the washer the depth can be no more than 15mm ( a little over a half inch). 

Mini mania has some for the Revolution wheel that are 0.665 but they are 1.06" long after the washer.  Should I start looking for a smaller washer that is angled on one side and completely flat on the other?  To match the bottom of the lug and fit into the whole.  Cause I'm guessing there is no way to cut the shank down on something like this. 

Of course it all begs the question How'd any previous owner never have this problem.  These have obviously been on here a long time as they have worn a grove into the wheel.

MiniDave

That pic was making me crazy!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Are any of these wheels hub centric? Like on new MINIs?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I have not heard of any of the wheels for classic Minis being hub-centric.  I do recall there being a thread over on Mini Mania a short while back where someone was asking where to get the inserts to make their wheels hub-centric.  I think the consensus was to inquire at a custom wheel shop.

gr8kornholio

Quote from: MiniDave on August 16, 2017, 05:06:11 PM
That pic makes me crazy!

Hoping that's a good thing.  Thanks for getting it right side up. 

There is nothing on the hub/brake drum that you could center a wheel on.

Any chance of cutting down the shank length?

Willie_B

These are what I am using on my Jellybean wheels. Length under the washer is 16mm, diameter is just under 17mm, .680". The washer is flat on both sides. I would be glad to send you one to try for size.

http://minisport.com.au/mini-mag-nuta-suit-jellybean-style-mag

MiniDave

You could also find some with a 3/4" shank and drill your wheels to size.

Or buy some tapered wheel nuts and have your wheels machined to the same taper, that way they would absolutely be centered. You might need some longer studs to make this work depending on your wheels.

Now that I think about it this is probably isn't a great idea as most alloys that use a shank type lug nut do it for a reason IE: the wheel material isn't very strong and they're concerned the tapered lug nut would erode or damage the wheel and work loose.

Lemme dig thru my stuff tomorrow and see what I have too......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Quote from: Willie_B on August 16, 2017, 06:05:45 PM
These are what I am using on my Jellybean wheels. Length under the washer is 16mm, diameter is just under 17mm, .680". The washer is flat on both sides. I would be glad to send you one to try for size.

http://minisport.com.au/mini-mag-nuta-suit-jellybean-style-mag

Those seem like exactly the size I need.  Funny it's from minisport AU, since my car is an Australian import.  Guess it's one more thing I have to get from that country.

Is this the only place you've found this style lug?

Willie_B

It is the only place I could find it. There are probably others though.

gr8kornholio

This may work out, they have my quarter light window seals.  Can only get them from Australia. 

gr8kornholio

Well, so much for that.  I placed an order this morning and they just contacted me.  They only have 2 of the lugs and the supplier is out of business.  Guess I'll start searching the other Australian sites.  I have a few Instagram contacts over there too.   ::)