My 65 Australian MKI

Started by gr8kornholio, February 11, 2017, 07:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

After a long day of disassembly, Mark has begun stripping this thing.

BruceK

Cool.   I was wondering how he was doing. 

Aany pix of how the car looks now? 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

He and the pressure washer ran out of gas.  I'll finish the blasting in a few days.

gr8kornholio

Ran out of gas is putting it politely. Also have lost all desire to go to the beach ever again.  Was glad to get the engine out and the subframes home so I can clean and assemble them. I'll post some pics eventually.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

gr8kornholio

Finally got around to taking the rear arms off the subframe.  Any tips on getting the front body mount off the rear subframe?  According to the book the nut is the only thing holding it on, but it wont budge.  The one with the nut on the outside came right off.

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

Only a nut that hold each trunion on.  The front pin needs to be held in place or it rotates when you loosen/tighten it.

gr8kornholio

That's the problem, they didn't rotate as I took the nut off.  I got the nut off.  I can't get the assembly out.  I can rotate the mount and lots of dirt comes out of the subframe but it wont budge.  Maybe after I give it a thorough soak with degreaser and pressure wash it'll loosen up. 

If it did rotate, is there a special tool to insert into the 2 little holes at the end to hold it?

94touring

Take a hammer and punch to it and don't be timid.   

I always just use vice grips to hold it when tightening up, but I'm sure there's a tool available.

gr8kornholio

looking for pros and cons of powder coating the subframes and suspension arms on these cars?  Good idea, bad idea, experiences.  Thanks

BruceK

I had the subframes of my Traveller powder coated back when I completed that car about 20 years ago.   The subframes looked absolutely perfect when I assembled the car.   Then, I never thought about them again as they became "used" and covered with the usual road coatings.    IMO, not really useful or needed - it's not like you need to protect them from salt here in Texas.   I'd just go with a good painting.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

If you don't powder coat I'd do por-15 chassis paint.  They ultimately turn filthy like Bruce says.

gr8kornholio

How much por-15 would I need to do both subframes?  Is the prep product necessary if not starting from complete bare metal?

94touring

Degreased and de-rusted is all you'd need to do.  I suspect a quart is plenty to do the subframes, arms, and hubs. 

MiniDave

I'll bet a pint would do it.....I painted mine with Rustyoleum and used about 1/4 of the quart I bought.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I know that a half pint at most did the block, and that was 2 coats to get good coverage. 

gr8kornholio

Question. Is the pivot shaft a part to replace just because I have it apart or if the shaft and bearings look good and fresh just reassemble it?  I only ask cause mine look really good and definitely not original and I know it's an ordeal to replace them.  The Haynes manual doesn't even attempt it and tells you to take it to a dealer. Lol.

gr8kornholio

Additional question:  If I don't replace them, what's the best way to protect them or the best way to clean an arm with the bearings in place?

MiniDave

You can clean it down with kerosene or mineral spirits, then just re-grease the bearings before you put it back together.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

It's things like this I'd really like a parts washer, but not sure about having all that sitting in my garage all the time. 

Dan, what cleaner is in your parts/hand washer?

94touring

Willie_B

Second on the Purple Power.
It will strip paint if you let it sit for a week or two.

gr8kornholio

Do you usually use the pump/washer or is it more of just a soak thing?

94touring

Both.  I'll let things soak to help loosen up grime, then run the pump when I'm brushing the grime off.  It's a very handy tool, plus the top doubles as more work bench when the lid is down.

gr8kornholio

Ok, thanks.  Back to the pivot shaft, just pulled it completely apart and wiped the grease off and can see signs of scoring and corrosion build up.  No way to fix this I'd presume so probably going to replace. 

Since no one probably has the service manual removal/installation tools for the bearings what is the procedure? 

I found minidave's post with a brief description on his green mini, I'll have to dig out my new parts and books to put pictures to words.  Any additional tips appreciated.

Dug out the new parts and makes sense.  So I guess my question would be how do you get the needle bearings out and the other ends sleeve out? 

MiniDave

If you're talking about the rears, I'd just run those up to Dan, he has the special reamer you need to resize the brass bushings after you install them. Getting the old ones out is just a matter of having the right sized drift and knowing where to hit them. There's also a plastic sleeve inside.....you buy the kit - it has the bearings, bushings, sleeve, shaft and all the bits you need in it - last time I bought one they were about $11 a side.

You'll need two of these....

http://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/Suspension/Rear/Hydro/GSV1125.aspx?190702&ReturnUrl=/search/classic/radius arm bearing kit.aspx|Back to search

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad