Getting Ready for Texas 2017

Started by MiniDave, February 10, 2017, 03:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Quote from: BruceK on February 17, 2017, 08:20:57 PM
Quote from: MiniDave on February 17, 2017, 05:51:44 PM
I'm going to need a dropped drawbar too......
Sounds like a fun welding project.

Oh no, I don't have near enough welding "HP" to do that, besides they're about $15 already powder coated from Northern Tool. I just need to mate the two vehicles and see how much drop I need.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Today I finished up my "light bar" for the back window of the RG Mini, I did something similar to Bruce's design, but my car has speakers in the rear parcel shelf so I had to add some feet so the wood  wouldn't rest on them and slide around. I'm not sure what I'm going to use but I still need something non-slip for the bottom of the feet....I'll figure that out in the next few days.

We only have two more work weekends till we hit the road but I've got most everything done..... this coming Friday we'll do Don's ball joints and rear brakes, then he should be ready to hit the road too. That leaves one weekend for anything we forgot......or that shows up last minute.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on February 20, 2017, 08:33:30 PM
Today I finished up my "light bar" for the back window of the RG Mini, I did something similar to Bruce's design, but my car has speakers in the rear parcel shelf so I had to add some feet so the wood  wouldn't rest on them and slide around. I'm not sure what I'm going to use but I still need something non-slip for the bottom of the feet....I'll figure that out in the next few days.

We only have two more work weekends till we hit the road but I've got most everything done..... this coming Friday we'll do Don's ball joints and rear brakes, then he should be ready to hit the road too. That leaves one weekend for anything we forgot......or that shows up last minute.

The lights look great!
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Willie_B

While looking at the spares to bring I spied the new throttle cable. I figured I would put it in just to see if I could tell any difference. BOY could I. Before it felt kind of sticky and rubbing even though it had recently been cleaned and lubed. Now it is hard to tell I am even pushing the pedal down. Guess the used one will now be the spare. On to the next item on the shrinking list...

MiniDave

WillieB did you get your alignment done? How far off was it?

I'm going to put my car on the alignment rack again this weekend and put a little more caster in the front to see if that gives me a little more stability. It drives fine but it's a little bit twitchy on turn in.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Have not done it yet. I have taken out some caster to see if this may change things. I do not know what it was at but I figure if I am getting an alignment anyway I might as well play with it see how it responds.

MiniDave

One last thing I'm going to get done.....this car came with a glass pop up sunroof.....I rarely use it because it rattles like crazy when open, but it's clear glass with a white perforated coating on the inside that lets in way too much light - I have to wear a hat on a sunny day to keep the sun out of my eyes......however that white coating almost makes the sunroof disappear against the white roof of the car.....which I like. I would like to tint it much, much darker but I don't want to then have a "black hole" in the middle of the roof.

So I'll see what the tint shops think they could do with it.......otherwise I'll just wear a hat I guess.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I once welded in a panel to close off a sunroof...

Willie_B

Quote from: MiniDave on February 21, 2017, 11:30:30 AM

So I'll see what the tint shops think they could do with it.......otherwise I'll just wear a hat I guess.

Try a place that does vehicle wraps. They have perforated vinyl that goes over vehicle windows for the wraps that still let some light through.

MiniDave

That's pretty much what it has now, WillieB......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

I figure the wrap place would have the white or cream colored stuff where as the tint shop will probably only have dark stuff. The tint shop may have a mirrored tint that you can do. Then you can watch yourself drive.

MiniDave

Today was Don's P'up turn to get the once over....we found one knackered ball joint so we're going to replace all of them. He also bought some Minifini rear drums and "while we're in there" we'll replace the rear shoes too.

It got down into the 30's last night and even tho the garage isn't too bad I cranked up the heater to take the chill off anyway.

He has new tires and is planning to get them rebalanced before we go too.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Quote from: Willie_B on February 21, 2017, 11:51:16 AM
Quote from: MiniDave on February 21, 2017, 11:30:30 AM

Try a place that does vehicle wraps. They have perforated vinyl that goes over vehicle windows for the wraps that still let some light through.

This is what it looks like, and today is a gloomy grey day. When the sun is bright I have to wear a hat.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

towjoe

Looking good Dave!
Regards
towjoe 77.gif

MPlayle

If you want to use it only for venting and no sunshine through, see if an auto wrapping place can install opaque white over just the glass.

You would then still be able to open the sunroof for extra venting when desired, but no light would be coming through (especially when closed).

MiniDave

Snug in the shop today, 30* and snowing outside!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

After we finished the ball joints, we pulled the rear drums off and we found nasty leaking rear wheel cylinders, so we went up to Victoria British and bought new cylinders, then took it all apart, repacked the rear wheel bearings, cleaned the backing plates and installed new Mintex shoes and finally the Minifin drums.

We also had to do a repair on one of the rear HiLos and the donut, the trumpet had become dislodged and was riding on the edge of the donut instead of centered, so much so that it had distorted the hole in the donut to an egg shape, I straightened it as much as I could, then used the 20 ton press to round it out the rest of the way by pressing the trumpet into it. Won't come out again now!

One more car ready for the roads of Texas!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

What jack is that you are using?  Beautiful truck!
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

That's my scissors lift, I have limited ceiling height but this will get a car up high enough to do pretty much anything I need to in my shop - about 3 ft. Found it on Craigslist about 3 years ago.

The P'up has a D series VTEC in it, goes like stink!

Did you recognize the dusty black car next to it?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Sweet.  From the reflection in the truck I'm gonna guess a jaguar e-type?
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

yep, although I forgot it was also in my sig....  ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

towjoe

Hi Dave ,
What kind of lift is it?
Give me a full description, so I know exactly what to look for.
Thanks, it looks you are ready to go.
You sure helped Susan out.
Regards
towjoe 77.gif

Willie_B

Quote from: towjoe on February 25, 2017, 09:19:36 AM
Hi Dave ,
What kind of lift is it?
Regards
towjoe 77.gif

Look here for some info when I got my lift. My lift was sold by Snap-On. Found it on Craigslist for $800.

http://www.restorationmini.com/forum/index.php?topic=843.msg11524#msg11524

MiniDave

Quote from: towjoe on February 25, 2017, 09:19:36 AM
Hi Dave ,
What kind of lift is it?
Thanks, it looks you are ready to go.
You sure helped Susan out.
Regards
towjoe 77.gif

Joe , my scissor lift is a no-name brand - as in there is no manufacturer info anywhere on the lift that I can find, not on the label, none of the lift cylinder, not even a brand name in the literature that came with it!

However, you can buy new ones from places like Greg Smith equipment...mine is a "mid rise" as I am limited by ceiling height.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-MR-06-Portable-Midrise-Lift

Be warned, they are heavy - mine weighs more than 800 lbs but you can easily move them around on a good smooth floor using the pump assembly, which has a hook that fits into the rack and lifts one end just enough to roll it around. They run on 110V but you need a 20 amp circuit or it will trip the breaker, especially if it's cold in the garage overnight.

Mine has been a godsend, it really saves my back and makes working on these tiny cars much easier.

I found mine on Craigslist for $600, but I had been looking for 3 years before I found it....they do pop up from time to time. Using mine was what sent WillieB off to look for his too!  ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

towjoe

Hi Dave ,
Thanks for the info. I plan to look on Craigslist. I'll have a friend keep a lookout for me.
Regards
Joe 77.gif